Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th September 2010, 18:19   #631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
I think it is called FICD - fast idle control device
Thanks Indivic. That correct. It has made a significant difference in the fuel consumption and the car pulls a lot more cleanly. I can now think of keeping the car for a few years more ( Hopefully no other problem that needs expensive intervention will crop up anytime soon).
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 09:54   #632
Senior - BHPian

I have been using my Aunt's Indica for some time, and the car would continue to be with me until she is back in country early 2011. The car was not in great condition when I brought it home, a 30000 service at Concorde Ambattur got it into a reasonable shape.

Now am faced with another strange problem, the RPM metre stops working a minute or so after stopping, along with the "Check Engine" Indicator, once the Engine temperature needle starts moving slowly (after about 5 / 10 minutes or so) the RPM meter starts working again and continues to work without any issues. I had reset the ECU in a hope that the problem would go away, but no avail. Gave the car to the regular (Independent) mechanic who services my Wagon R who checked Alternator etc. and said nothing wrong with the Alternator it could be a faulty "RPM Meter" which could be ignored temporarily. Can the Indica experts help me out on this.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2010, 21:56   #633
Senior - BHPian

Off late I am hearing some sort of Hissing sound from one of the belts (more
prominent during idling & it seems to be cyclic). I dont think it could be the
Alternator or AC belts as both of them were replaced at 65K. I changed the idler
pulley as its bearing was making some noise on rotation by hand. However this
did not eliminate the hissing sound. Could not get this attended yesterday at
the 80K service (as it was very late in the evening). The mechanic has advised
to get the car back to the garage on Monday to look into the hissing sound.

Could this sound be related to the timing belt? Any expert opinions on this
issue? Would it be advisable to get the timing belt replaced now, rather than
the scheduled 100K change?
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 12:02   #634
mgh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Now am faced with another strange problem, the RPM metre stops working a minute or so after stopping, along with the "Check Engine" Indicator, once the Engine temperature needle starts moving slowly (after about 5 / 10 minutes or so) the RPM meter starts working again and continues to work without any issues. I had reset the ECU in a hope that the problem would go away, but no avail. Gave the car to the regular (Independent) mechanic who services my Wagon R who checked Alternator etc. and said nothing wrong with the Alternator it could be a faulty "RPM Meter" which could be ignored temporarily. Can the Indica experts help me out on this.
Try to start the AC when the rpm meter is not working, if it starts, it is a fault in rpm indication only. If the AC doesn't work, the alternator tacho combo (it is a single unit) needs to be attended to.
In my old Indica DLX (pre V2!), it was the problem, attending the combo solved the problem. The AC doesn't work if engine is off, the sensing is by the tacho. If the indication is below a certain value (from what i recall 500 rpm or so), the AC doesn't work.
mgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 11:17   #635
BHPian

Guys i need an urgent help. My car (indica turbo) is in sc, both of the drive shafts needs replacement as they are making sound while turning. They are quoting 6k for one shaft, so its will be a 13k including the labour.

As i don't have any idea about the price for the spares, i request you guys to help me with the correct price of the same

Thanks & Regards
vaisakhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 19:54   #636
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vaisakhr,

One of the forum members on TIUG had replaced his RH drive shaft in Aug 2008 & the details were as follows:
G269026300135 - Drive Shaft - RH 1 - Rs 3549.33.
So in two years prices would definitely have escalated, but not to such an extent. 6K for each shaft seems to be a bit too high. I would advise you to take a second & third opinion (Refer the car to some other TASC).
Old 1st October 2010, 00:19   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hi Vaisakhr,

One of the forum members on TIUG had replaced his RH drive shaft in Aug 2008 & the details were as follows:
G269026300135 - Drive Shaft - RH 1 - Rs 3549.33.
So in two years prices would definitely have escalated, but not to such an extent. 6K for each shaft seems to be a bit too high. I would advise you to take a second & third opinion (Refer the car to some other TASC).
Thanks for the reply.

I think that price is for the NA Indica. But the turbo version shares some spares with Indigo. The cost of drive shaft for Indigo is near 6k. i think that is the reason for that much price difference. Gurus please comment on this.

Rgds,
VR
vaisakhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 00:48   #638
BHPian

Various car spare part price list on an approximation is available on Maruti Parts, Indian Car Parts, Automobile Parts Exporter, Automotive Components India and www.shahrukhgroup.com. 6k for the drive shaft is too high.
dr.faramroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 17:04   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post
Try to start the AC when the rpm meter is not working, if it starts, it is a fault in rpm indication only. If the AC doesn't work, the alternator tacho combo (it is a single unit) needs to be attended to.
In my old Indica DLX (pre V2!), it was the problem, attending the combo solved the problem. The AC doesn't work if engine is off, the sensing is by the tacho. If the indication is below a certain value (from what i recall 500 rpm or so), the AC doesn't work.
The A/c does not work when the RPM meter is not working. Now do I need to get the thing checked with somebody like Lucas TVS or take it to the service center. There is no pattern when the issue comes up, some days it seem to work fine some times not.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 13:43   #640
BHPian

Need expert's advice here. I was using Ameron Battery for almost 4 years and was due to be replaced, so thought to give Exide another shot) and boy, was that a mistake. It was indeed. It worked fine for almost 2 months and one day of all sudden it died and died completely and I was not able to do push start.
I took it TASS who couldn't find any issue and said that I would have left the lights on and it drained the battery. I believed them and took the car back. It ran fine for almost 1 month and again went down for no reason. This time I was damn sure that all lights were off. So I again took it to TASS and as expected they couldn't find any issue this time as well. They checked wiring, fuses everything and got the battery checked by Exide but unable to locate the fault.
The car is in running condition again because the battery was fully charged but I am sure that its going to die again.
I firmly believe that its faulty battery but need your feedback guys. In case if anyone of you have encounterd similar issue and what was the root cause?
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 13:52   #641
Team-BHP Support

When the car is on, check the voltage at the battery terminals, Switch on headlights and AC.
If voltage falls below 12V or goes to 12.12V etc., its your alternator.

If its indeed the alternator, find a good electrical guy, and buy Lucas Alternator from open market(9000rs), and get it fitted.

If voltage is okay (13.xx+) you should go to the battery outlet, and get the specific gravity checked in each of the cells.

Tata workshops do not have any idea of what to do when such issues crop up. I learnt this the hard way, when my perfectly good battery had to be replaced, and it was an alternator fault.

Neither Concorde Bangalore, or Prerna on Old Madras Road Bangalore could figure out its not a battery problem.

The Prerna guys did not even have a voltmeter.
I suggest you buy one(150rs only). Its a must have for every Tata owner.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 15:32   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
find a good electrical guy, and buy Lucas Alternator from open market(9000rs), and get it fitted.
I remember you stating about some good electical guy in Noida Sec 16, where you used to go for your indica? Do you remember his name/address/phone number?
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 15:37   #643
Team-BHP Support

I do not have his number. His name is Imam, and he sits near the MRF tire shop at the end of the market(opposite) Auto Engineers
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 17:30   #644
Senior - BHPian

Hi Anonymous,
In all probability, as tsk1979, has pointed out the issue is related to your alternator & not the battery. You alternator is not charging the battery adequately. Does the battery light (indicator) on the dash lightens up?
Old 12th October 2010, 18:20   #645
BHPian

Default Alternator.

Switch on the car and let it settle to a smooth idle. Switch on all your electrical load including the AC after about 3 minutes by which time a normal alternator should have recharged the cranking load. With voltmeter check the output at the battery terminals. It should read 14.2-14.4 volt when the accelerator is pressed mildly and by that I mean about 2000 rpm. With full load at idle it should not read less than 12.5 volt.

If it reads less; clean the alternator assembly and then change the voltage regulator if necessary. The regulator costs not more than 750. Dry solder is a usual culprit in high mileage cars of any make.

There is another part called the rectifier which costs about Rs 1600 which does not usually conk off and if it has then check the stator and the rotor windings too.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote