Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th November 2010, 12:06   #676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Folks,

As of yesterday morning, all of a sudden, the AC blower does not seem to work at first speed setting. This is irrespective of AC is ON or OFF. There is no air flow.

However at speeds 2,3 and 4 it works normally and cooling is as usual (I have not touched anything w.r.t AC so far, so it is a little bit low, but normal). Could this be something big ?
with in a few days the blower will work only at maximum fan speed. Your cars ac thermostat need to be replaced. for my indica it costed 300 rs. and also check your blower fan motor, if its bearing is not functioning properly this can happen, since the thermostat also contains an overload protector. If the blower motor is having issue then replacing it will cost you 4 to 5K. take your car to a AC mechanic you can do this work cheaply.
harryms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 19:12   #677
Distinguished - BHPian

our indica v2 turbo diesel DLG is about 4.5 - 5 years old
today suddenly the entire power window set up died
it went to the garage - non tata motors but an authorized one nonetheless. Green Tracks on Hosur Road.
Turned out the entire Power Window Assembly had packed up.
4500 Rs expenditure and it is now back to normal.

comes across as an expensive ish outing and repair but I guess that with electrical parts one can never tell how long the life is going to be.

Else the car is fine.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 20:11   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryms View Post
Hi,

My vehicle has done 1.02LK, and this is the major work i have done till now.
The issues i have faced are,
Thank you Harry for the clarification.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 20:28   #679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
The article mentions exactly what I said, what's your point?
As per Cybersteeting: Top Gear - Pit Stop

Ventilated Disc Brakes - Solid disc brakes use a solid disc or rotor. Ventilated disc brakes add special vents inside the disc (that you can see along the edge of the disc). These vents help move cooling air through the disc for better braking performance and less brake fade.

What I would like to know is, the vent mentioned here & the slot in the Indica disc running through the disc circumference, are these one & the same?
Old 13th November 2010, 21:45   #680
jav
BHPian

Guys this is what ventilated discs look like, i purchased these for my indica and change them every year to maintain perfect braking performance

Tata Indica - List of problems-brake1.jpg

Tata Indica - List of problems-brake2.jpg

Last edited by jav : 13th November 2010 at 21:48.
jav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 22:08   #681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Folks,

As of yesterday morning, all of a sudden, the AC blower does not seem to work at first speed setting. This is irrespective of AC is ON or OFF. There is no air flow.

However at speeds 2,3 and 4 it works normally and cooling is as usual (I have not touched anything w.r.t AC so far, so it is a little bit low, but normal). Could this be something big ?

My Indica ( 6.5 yr=ears and 99 K km) has had the same problem for over six months. However, I have not got it attended to as I rarely used to operate the AC at Speed 1. Nothing to worry about AFAIK.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 22:11   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav View Post
Guys this is what ventilated discs look like, i purchased these for my indica and change them every year to maintain perfect braking performance
Thanks Jav, now that makes it very clear, what a ventilated disc means (a picture is really worth a thousand words & you have proved it). The slots clearly seen in the first picture provide the necessary ventilation for faster dissipation of heat. Are you doing some spirited driving so as change the discs every year? Alright you want perfect braking, but do they deteriorate so fast? They don't come cheap. I am still on OEM discs after 6+ years & 82K kms. Only once there were some scoring marks on one of the discs, which was rectified by taking a light cut on a lathe.
Old 14th November 2010, 00:02   #683
jav
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thanks Jav, now that makes it very clear, what a ventilated disc means (a picture is really worth a thousand words & you have proved it). The slots clearly seen in the first picture provide the necessary ventilation for faster dissipation of heat. Are you doing some spirited driving so as change the discs every year? Alright you want perfect braking, but do they deteriorate so fast? They don't come cheap. I am still on OEM discs after 6+ years & 82K kms. Only once there were some scoring marks on one of the discs, which was rectified by taking a light cut on a lathe.
They don't actually deteriorate they just get warped, sometimes i do use lots of brakes . Each disc for my car is around 550 rs

Last edited by jav : 14th November 2010 at 00:04.
jav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 14:33   #684

Default Starter, Alternator Overhaul & battery replacement

Folks,
As mentioned earlier, my car had trouble starting and the battery used to cough up acid for quite some time now. Found the Authorised Lucas service center (Courtesy :Greenhorn) on Lalbagh Road and got it checked.

Day One:
Diagnosis: 2 of the 4 contact points seemed to be warped slightly and would take 3-4 hours to rectify the same.
Since I could not wait for the work to complete, decided to get the Alternator checked(Courtesy: AutoIndian) as well since the car would be at the workshop for the night. Multimeter check (13.6 V & 1050 RPM) with all other electrics off.

Day two:
Got the car as promised in the evening. Diagnosis on the alternator was the Regulator assembly problem resulted in variable charging of the battery. So Alternator and the starter motor were overhauled.

Following are the costs .
1. Regulator Assy - 599
2. Oil Seal - 238
3. Brush Gear Assy - 537
4. Hose pipe - 150
5. Debearing - 370
6. Sre bearing - 228

Labor
1. Rotor Lathe work - 150
2. Rectifier soldering - 125
3. Armature soldering - 250
4. Starter overhauling - 550
5. Alternator overhaul - 700

Plus VAT

A quick multimeter check indicated 14.27 V with A/C on. Got the car back home.

Day three

Car would not start in the morning with me already late for work. Tried to push start half heartedly but could not start the car. Parked the car and called the Service center.
My primary contact checked whether I could make it to the service center and the sent one of his people to my place in the afternoon. The guy also came with a spare battery. Car starts immediately after the battery has been replaced and we drive down to the service center.
The diagnosis was the battery might have given up ghost as everything else was in order. On suggesting the battery being ok the day before, the service guys insisted that fluid top up was done to the battery, there might be some internal leakage involved with the battery being more than 3.5 yrs old.
Decided to get an Amaron black battery in lieu of the Exide for 3800/- (inc exchange).

The car has been working like a charm since then. Hope this continues for another year atleast.

Day Six

The service advisor calls me up and checks whether everything is in order and asks me to get back to him whenever I have another issue. He also gave a six month guarantee to the work that was done on the Car.

On the whole, a big for the entire experience.

Cheers
Raghu Srinivasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 15:01   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu Srinivasa View Post
Folks,

Decided to get an Amaron black battery in lieu of the Exide for 3800/- (inc exchange).

The car has been working like a charm since then. Hope this continues for another year atleast.

On the whole, a big for the entire experience.

Cheers
Raghu, good to know that at last your issue has been sorted out. The charges levied by TVS Lucas for the alternator overhaul seem to be reasonable. You took a right decision to replace the battery as well. Overcharging from the alternator (due to faulty regulator) results in the boiling of acid/ electrolyte & its spillage from the battery. This makes the battery cells very weak & it cannot sustain the starter load, hence you faced the starting issue. I had undergone exactly the same experience, the only difference I got my alternator overhauled in Dec 07 & replaced the OEM battery in Oct 08. But since then both the alternator & the battery are working absolutely fine (touchwood). I am sure both of your units would work just fine for the next couple of years.
Old 18th November 2010, 12:29   #686
BHPian

Default Suspension

ok! I have a problem on my Indica. There seems to be a clunk sound from the front left suspension typically when turning, and there is a pothole or a hump during the turn. This usually happens only when turning right, but not left turns. I usually take turns at pretty low speed when there is a pothole/ hump, and i still hear the clunk sound.

This is certainly different from the tak-tak sound that comes up when the drive shaft has gone bad. So i think it is something else.

Now, before taking it to TASS, i would like to know what could have gone wrong and what i may expect at TASS - so i dont get ripped off.

Any pointers will be helpful!

EDIT: My Indica turbo has done 43k kms, and has covered may be 10% on highways. Highways --> suspension may have taken a beating, specially with the really small 165/65 R13 tyres and a heavy engine on top of it.

Last edited by deep_bang : 18th November 2010 at 12:30.
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 13:44   #687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
ok! I have a problem on my Indica. There seems to be a clunk sound from the front left suspension typically when turning, and there is a pothole or a hump during the turn. This usually happens only when turning right, but not left turns. I usually take turns at pretty low speed when there is a pothole/ hump, and i still hear the clunk sound.

Any pointers will be helpful!
Can't tell you the exact reason of the sound, but it is likely that mud or grime might have got stuck underneath in the shocker & this getting rubbed on metallic surface. Before showing is to the TASC can you please try to wash the underbody thoroughly, especially in the area of the suspension/ shocker & check if this helps in reduction of the typical sound.
Old 22nd November 2010, 19:35   #688
Senior - BHPian

i had this noise when my balljoints were busted. Have yours been changed yet?
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 13:24   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
i had this noise when my balljoints were busted. Have yours been changed yet?
Nope. Not changed yet. Will do it during the 45k service. Do you think i should not wait till then and attend to it immediately?
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 13:36   #690
Senior - BHPian

SS Traveller, My Indigo diesel 2005 model. I found diesel dripping below the alternator and PS pump. This mornign finally located the leak, in the front side of the Fuel Pump there is a huge/big nut with a kind of check crew in the center (didn't look closely) below it is a white plastic cap covering something bigger than a 1 rupee coin. This has cracked in many places so I was wondeirng if the leack is because of that or what? It just fits over doesn't tighten by turning so no threads on it. Infact is has no depth/height just about 2 or 3 mm\\

Thanks in advance
regards
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote