Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2010, 16:39   #706
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

I changed the belt with a OEM TATA blue packing one at 63k kms It cost about 1100/- you get cheaper taiwan makes for 350/- good to change water pump and tenshioner bearings (I think there are two) they cost about 450/ each. Like Greenhorn says it's worth doing
Cheers
deutscheafrikar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12th January 2011, 10:54   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
However I cannot understand the co-relation with the brakes. When did you last change your brake pads/ drums? Please get these checked from a garage. The brake pad thickness should be more than 5mm at least. New ones are @ 10mm thick. Also check the brake discs. You can ask the mechanic to roughen the surface of the disc & pads with a polish paper. If this doesn't resolve your problem then check the brake circuit.

Another possibility could be that he vacuum booster is malfunctioning when the radiator fan kicks in & doesn't produce enough vacuum for braking assistance
^^ Update time :

After a "thorough" check , TASC identified that the LHS rear wheel brake cylinder was gone and replaced it, I have done about 50 km since then in B2B traffic, so far the problem seems to be fixed.

Spares cost : 800, labour : 500 plus tax

Even though I got it done during the 50K service, no chance to get this labour waived off.

Any idea how much the wiper motor that pumps the water from the wiper tank costs ? Seems that is gone now and TASC quotes Rs.1200 for it.

I have another problem now, during the service, the SA pointed out that due to an impact the radiator and condenser were bent. I asked him to point out the damage to me, they seemed rather small. SA was trying to get me to replace them all at an estimate of 25K (obviously via insurance and therefore the estimate is quite high). I did not see any damage to the fins of the radiator as far as I looked.

I will put up a few pictures of the damage, could someone tell me if I do need to get these replaced ?

Thanks

Last edited by indivic : 12th January 2011 at 10:55.
indivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 13:22   #708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
^^ Update time :

After a "thorough" check , TASC identified that the LHS rear wheel brake cylinder was gone and replaced it, I have done about 50 km since then in B2B traffic, so far the problem seems to be fixed.

Spares cost : 800, labour : 500 plus tax
Thank you for that update. Any particular reason why the rear wheel brake cylinder failed in the first place?

Quote:
Any idea how much the wiper motor that pumps the water from the wiper tank costs ? Seems that is gone now and TASC quotes Rs.1200 for it.
Are you sure that the wash-wipe motor/pump is the one that is not working & not the left stalk (push button). I had similar problem, but on pressing the button for a prolonged time, it does pump water.

Quote:
I have another problem now, during the service, the SA pointed out that due to an impact the radiator and condenser were bent. I asked him to point out the damage to me, they seemed rather small. SA was trying to get me to replace them all at an estimate of 25K (obviously via insurance and therefore the estimate is quite high). I did not see any damage to the fins of the radiator as far as I looked.
If you are not facing engine overheating problem & if there is no coolant leakage then you can live with the minor damage, no need of shelling out 25K for this.
AutoIndian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 13:48   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for that update. Any particular reason why the rear wheel brake cylinder failed in the first place?

Are you sure that the wash-wipe motor/pump is the one that is not working & not the left stalk (push button). I had similar problem, but on pressing the button for a prolonged time, it does pump water.

The push button was working before,however the wiper tank had developed a leak and therefore I had not used the button at all like in about 6-7 months since there was no wiper fluid in the tank, I always carried a bottle of water and poured it on the windshield in case it required cleaning on the road. So no idea, how can we check this ?

If you are not facing engine overheating problem & if there is no coolant leakage then you can live with the minor damage, no need of shelling out 25K for this.
Thanks AutoIndian for your feedback.

For the brake cylinder, the SA response was something like this
- "Sir, it is 50,000 km and the car is already more than 6 years old, so normal wear and tear "

I suspect it could be due to improper brake balance. Any idea if such a thing exists in plain vanilla passenger cars, I mean could a mechanic screw up the brake balance between front and rear ?

For the wiper, the push button was working before, but then the wiper tank had developed a leak and therefore I would lose the fluid like in about 5 min after filling it. So the last 6 months, I never used this push button, but a bottle of water which I used to splash on the windscreen in case I needed to operate the wiper on a dirty road enroute somewhere.

For the moment, there is no abnormal heating issues with the engine and there is no coolant loss at all. Let me as well put up some pictures to show how it looks.
indivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 14:13   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Thanks AutoIndian for your feedback.

For the brake cylinder, the SA response was something like this
- "Sir, it is 50,000 km and the car is already more than 6 years old, so normal wear and tear "

I suspect it could be due to improper brake balance. Any idea if such a thing exists in plain vanilla passenger cars, I mean could a mechanic screw up the brake balance between front and rear ?
My car has done 86K kms & 6.5 years old, but never faced this issue. I don't have technical expertise to comment on brake balance, however from a layman's point of view I think that when you apply pressure on the brake pedal the braking force has to be distributed proportionately amongst all four wheels. In your case the brake drum might be receiving extra force, due to which it might have been damaged prematurely.
Old 13th January 2011, 16:13   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
check with the tasc if it should be taken care of urgently, but it should hold for 2k kms ( mine did), but its very annoying ( the sound), and I felt that the busted bearings sapped a bit of power as well ( after the change, i felt the car was quicker)
Replaced the LHS ball joint and the car is as good as new. Thanks a lot! I am amazed that the diagnosis was so accurate - just goes to say how informative Team-Bhpians are!!
Thanks again!
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 17:41   #712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Replaced the LHS ball joint and the car is as good as new. Thanks a lot! I am amazed that the diagnosis was so accurate - just goes to say how informative Team-Bhpians are!!
Thanks again!
Good to know that your problem was resolved by replacing the ball joint. Can you pl let us know what was the exact issue that you were facing. I mean was there any unwanted sound or steering problem or suspension problem etc. Why I am asking this is because I am still on OEM parts (touchwood) as far as steering, suspension etc is concerned. Never replaced any of the struts, bushes, ball-joints, bearings etc. As a preventive measure I am planning to go for suspension overhaul in the near future. So trying to gather as much info as I can. Hope you can help me out.
Old 13th January 2011, 23:09   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Good to know that your problem was resolved by replacing the ball joint. Can you pl let us know what was the exact issue that you were facing. I mean was there any unwanted sound or steering problem or suspension problem etc. Why I am asking this is because I am still on OEM parts (touchwood) as far as steering, suspension etc is concerned. Never replaced any of the struts, bushes, ball-joints, bearings etc. As a preventive measure I am planning to go for suspension overhaul in the near future. So trying to gather as much info as I can. Hope you can help me out.

Quoting my earlier reply from the same thread:
-------------------------------------
ok! I have a problem on my Indica. There seems to be a clunk sound from the front left suspension typically when turning, and there is a pothole or a hump during the turn. This usually happens only when turning right, but not left turns. I usually take turns at pretty low speed when there is a pothole/ hump, and i still hear the clunk sound.

This is certainly different from the tak-tak sound that comes up when the drive shaft has gone bad. So i think it is something else.

-------------------------------------

Good to know your Indica is on its original parts even after 80k!! In my case, there were a few highway trips where the car went into deep potholes and sudden humps (unmarked humps). I suspect these could have helped accelerate the damage.

Driving on Bangalore roads, the left, front tyre is the most abused tyre - so that could also have caused a faster wear of the ball joint.
Old 14th January 2011, 10:48   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quoting my earlier reply from the same thread:

Driving on Bangalore roads, the left, front tyre is the most abused tyre - so that could also have caused a faster wear of the ball joint.
Thank you for pointing to your earlier thread, guess I have become a bit lazy now, not to refer to your old post. I totally agree with your view on the left, front tyre being most abused. Recently I lost my almost brand new front left tyre in a freak accident, where in a footpath tile cut my tyre sidewall.
Old 16th January 2011, 02:49   #715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again!
Glad to be of help. Your review was one of the reasons I bought an indica turbo myself. Unfortunately, my car has suffered a lot more in its life.
And I'm usually not this accurate
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 23:08   #716
Senior - BHPian

Today evening when I went into my car park in my building I observed dark patch on the parking floor (almost 2 feet in diameter) under the fuel tank. On touching with fingers I could smell diesel. On taking a closer look underneath I observed diesel dripping near the tank (from one of the pipes) at the rate of one drop per 3-4 seconds. I called my mechanic, but he was in his hometown & workshop was closed. I then thought of driving down the car to the nearby TASC (Pandit Auto in Akurdi). Car started at first crank, drive was smooth. On reaching there told the Service Advisor. He said that the car needs to be lifted on a RAM & inspected. So the car was lifted up. Diesel was accumulating at one of the bolts & dripping from there. The complete tank underbody was smudged with diesel. The SA said that the tank needs to be emptied out, removed & inspected. The tank was half full, so the diesel was emptied out in a bucket. The leakage was from the joint of lower & upper half & the SA said that the tank needs to be replaced. I asked if it can be welded, he said no. Unfortunately the stores was closed by then, so could not confirm the availability & tomorrow being a Sunday the TASC is closed.

I called up one of my expert friend & discussed the issue. He explained that the tank's two halves are joined by special welding & normal arc welding would result in undue stress, which may result in further leakage. There was no option but to replace the tank. He said that due to aging & fatigue this could happen & it is not that uncommon. He said the price of new tank is Rs 4696. Part No 270247100134".

I now have to go back to TASC on Monday morning. If I am fortunate enough & the part is available in stores I can get back my car by Monday afternoon, else God knows when the part will arrive.

One good thing is that this happened on a holiday. I was planning for an outstation trip next weekend. Had it been in the middle of the road in a remote place I wonder what would have happened. Will keep the forum posted on Monday.

If anyone can share their experience on fuel tank repair/ replacement, that shall be highly appreciated
Old 30th January 2011, 13:21   #717
BHPian

You could also check at Authorised spares distributors for Tata - and not necessarily TASCs. There is one shop at Bangalore which sells Tata parts, so I think there should be such shops in Pune too.
Old 30th January 2011, 13:58   #718
Senior - BHPian

guys new to this thread, own indica dls 2005make, clocked 39k till now and replaced OE tyres which were goodyear with bridgestone BS233.Few days back when my car was parked on highway, a cargo rickshaw carrying rods damaged my front bumper and there's a big hole on its RHS, so would need to replace front bumper, would do so in coming months, want to ask can i replace mine with the new model that was launched after my purchase where foglamps are round and its a clean facia rather then mine with black stip one.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 18:27   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You could also check at Authorised spares distributors for Tata - and not necessarily TASCs. There is one shop at Bangalore which sells Tata parts, so I think there should be such shops in Pune too.
Thanks for the pointer. Can any one of the TBHP members give me the contact details of such a distributor in Pune so that I can check the availability & the price of fuel tank? Thanks in advance.
Old 30th January 2011, 18:35   #720
Distinguished - BHPian

vijaythacker, you should be able to swap to the 2007+ style bumper
one cost me 4k + painting charges in 2008
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote