Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th September 2011, 16:04   #796
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

@indivic: The glow plugs have gone kaput. Need to replace them cost will be somewhere between 1000-1200 for all of the 4 if found bad.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 16:56   #797
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Cold start problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Stop and starts during the day do not need more than a 1/2-3/4 crank. Problem definitely happens when the car has cooled down, after it starts there is a puff of black smoke - unburnt excess fuel I guess.

I tried the trick of "heating" the plugs a few times before I crank, this was inconclusive, I will try again tonight.

Could it be the glow plugs? It is about 5 years since I got them replaced under warranty, I would have driven about 40k on this set.

If it indeed turns out to be the glow plugs - should I go for Beru (OE) or how about Bosch ?

Thanks in advance!
All the symptoms that you have mentioned indicate one or more glow plugs (GPs) have failed. 5 years is too long a time for the GPs to sustain. Rather than the number of years or the distance covered (40K in your case), the GP life depends upon the number of starting cycles (Ignition ON cycles) it has undergone.

Just to share my experience. Prior to my 80K service cranking was taking more than usual time for a couple of weeks. I had observed that once the engine has started the exhaust used to emit smoke initially, indicating that some unburnt fuel is being exhausted. This clearly indicated that one or more glow plugs had gone kaput.

Went to the nearby TVS Lucas centre. The mechanic tested all the glow plugs (connecting one end of the wire to the battery & the other one at the plug stem & observing for sparks). Observation: no spark at 3 GPs, this meant 3 GPs had failed only one was live. This was putting more strain on the starter motor. Suggestion from Lucas: replace the full set of 4, I agreed. I had replaced one GP at 56K with a Mico Bosch. This was the one which was still functioning. Now all the OEM GPs have been replaced with Beru make. Rs 1400.00 for a set of four & Rs 80.00 labour charges (Rs 20/- per plug). I retained the functioning Mico plug, just in case I need to replace infuture. Now the engine comes to life in less than half the turn of ignition key.

My suggestion. Replace all the 4 with Beru make. They are the OEMs for Indica.
AutoIndian is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 18:33   #798
BHPian

Default Re: Cold start problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
All the symptoms that you have mentioned indicate one or more glow plugs (GPs) have failed. 5 years is too long a time for the GPs to sustain. Rather than the number of years or the distance covered (40K in your case), the GP life depends upon the number of starting cycles (Ignition ON cycles) it has undergone.

Just to share my experience. Prior to my 80K service cranking was taking more than usual time for a couple of weeks. I had observed that once the engine has started the exhaust used to emit smoke initially, indicating that some unburnt fuel is being exhausted. This clearly indicated that one or more glow plugs had gone kaput.

Went to the nearby TVS Lucas centre. The mechanic tested all the glow plugs (connecting one end of the wire to the battery & the other one at the plug stem & observing for sparks). Observation: no spark at 3 GPs, this meant 3 GPs had failed only one was live. This was putting more strain on the starter motor. Suggestion from Lucas: replace the full set of 4, I agreed. I had replaced one GP at 56K with a Mico Bosch. This was the one which was still functioning. Now all the OEM GPs have been replaced with Beru make. Rs 1400.00 for a set of four & Rs 80.00 labour charges (Rs 20/- per plug). I retained the functioning Mico plug, just in case I need to replace infuture. Now the engine comes to life in less than half the turn of ignition key.

My suggestion. Replace all the 4 with Beru make. They are the OEMs for Indica.
@teknophobia, mercedised and AutoIndian - Thanks a lot for your prompt feedback!

Let me check if Lucas works on Saturday and will go with Beru & replace the full set, since as you say its the number of ignitions in this period rather than the distance covered.
indivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 20:49   #799
Senior - BHPian

Default 100K service - Is Coolant Pump change mandatory

Hi All,

Since my 100K service is nearing I want to make an informed decision on the parts to be changed. Though the service manual does not specify that the Coolant Pump change is mandatory during the timing belt change, I want to know your opinion whether I should go for the Coolant Pump change as well. Last time when I had a discussion with the TASC SA, he had given a ball park figure of Rs 5000/- for the timing belt & coolant pump change.
AutoIndian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 21:18   #800
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 100K service - Is Coolant Pump change mandatory

Quote:
Hi All,

Since my 100K service is nearing I want to make an informed decision on the parts to be changed. Though the service manual does not specify that the Coolant Pump change is mandatory during the timing belt change, I want to know your opinion whether I should go for the Coolant Pump change as well. Last time when I had a discussion with the TASC SA, he had given a ball park figure of Rs 5000/- for the timing belt & coolant pump change.
I have never had coolant pump changed in both of my Indicas. One has clocked 2,43,000 kms and other one has done 1,06,000 kms only. The latter one has just got the timing belt changed a few days ago and no coolant pump was changed. Follow if it ain't broke, don't replace it.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 22:28   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I have never had coolant pump changed in both of my Indicas. One has clocked 2,43,000 kms and other one has done 1,06,000 kms only.
Thanks Mercedised for this info. Even I am not facing any issues with the coolant circulation, but thought of getting it validated what the Service Advisor has suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
The latter one has just got the timing belt changed a few days ago and no coolant pump was changed. Follow if it ain't broke, don't replace it.
Can you please share the service details of this car (especially the timing belt related charges)? I am very keen to know what all parts should be changed at the 100K service & how these will be charged. I am planning to go for replacing both the brake discs & rear brake liners (brake shoes) other than the scheduled timing belt change. The reason for this being that off late there is no bite my brakes.
AutoIndian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 23:01   #802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please share the service details of this car (especially the timing belt related charges)? I am very keen to know what all parts should be changed at the 100K service & how these will be charged. I am planning to go for replacing both the brake discs & rear brake liners (brake shoes) other than the scheduled timing belt change. The reason for this being that off late there is no bite my brakes.
I have never actually followed the service manual. I get the car serviced at 7500 kms, gearbox oil change every 30K kms, wheel greasing every 30K kms or after every rains. At 1,00,000 kms I got the timing belt changed, starter motor serviced (was having issues starting when the engine was hot), brake pads were changed, radiator cleaned (manually), all the rubber pipes were changed as a preventive measure. The diesel-pump is giving up slowly but steadily as the pick-up has decreased and mileage hovers between 19-20kmpl only earlier it used tobe 23-24kmpl.

As of now the car has some suspension issues tobe taken care of, the front suspension makes a kinda thud sound on potholes. Tyres are almost at the verge of going bald (front two) so have to change them too.

P.S: I will share the timing belt and other charges later as the bills are in office file. Will get them tomorrow and share the rest of the cost incurred.

P.P.S: I have never changed brake discs in any of the two Indicas. So untill-unless there is some special problem related to discs like steering wobbles on braking, avoid the discs change as it only makes unnecessary hole in pocket.

Last edited by mercedised : 11th September 2011 at 23:05.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 17:44   #803
BHPian

Hi cyberwhizs

I also observer some kurr kurr noise in steering in my indigo when i start and turn the steering in the morning . Here i would like to understand that power steering container you mean the container having the PS oil . I have checked in mine yesterday and that is full . is there any other
container too ?

Regds

Virender

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
Couple of days back I noticed some kurrr kurr sounds coming when turning the steering esp. after a cold start.
=============
Looking at my previous records, i had the power steering assembly overhauled a few years ago, thankfully through extended warranty.
virender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 21:08   #804
BHPian

@virender
Yes, the power steering container is the container having the PowerSteering oil :-). There isnt any other container as such.

If the oil is full then thankfully you do not seem to have a leak. The kurr kurr sounds in the morning could be due a slightly loose belt. If the noise is due to a loose belt it will usually disappear in a few minutes of driving. If not it could be something else.

Hope this helps.
cyberwhizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 11:09   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
@virender
Yes, the power steering container is the container having the PowerSteering oil :-). There isnt any other container as such.
====
If not it could be something else.

Hope this helps.
Thanks cyberwhizs this kurr kurr noise goes away in a min so I hope it is of belt only
virender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 17:04   #806
BHPian

Hi,

Today my brother while driving my indica, accidentally drove over a deep pot hole, after that there is a jerking noise when i release the vehicle in first gear, it looks like something is touching inside, since the front left wheel went inside the pot hole, the noise comes from front, there is no sound when i do reverse gear or rev engine, it only comes when i initiate the first gear and release the clutch slowly, can experienced people here tell me what could be gone or damaged under these circumstances and how much approx it would cost be, b.w my vehicle is under extended warranty.

Thanks.
johnruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 17:07   #807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
Hi,

Today my brother while driving my indica, accidentally drove over a deep pot hole, after that there is a jerking noise when i release the vehicle in first gear, it looks like something is touching inside, since the front left wheel went inside the pot hole, the noise comes from front, there is no sound when i do reverse gear or rev engine, it only comes when i initiate the first gear and release the clutch slowly, can experienced people here tell me what could be gone or damaged under these circumstances and how much approx it would cost be, b.w my vehicle is under extended warranty.

Thanks.
It is the sound of Balancing Rod, will hardly cost 250-300 Rs.
Old 16th September 2011, 20:35   #808
BHPian

@mercedised, wow that was a quick reply....

I am going to prerana motors tomorrow, i hope whatever you said is true and doesnt have to do anything with Arm (or) Suspension.

Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 20:49   #809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
@mercedised, wow that was a quick reply....

I am going to prerana motors tomorrow, i hope whatever you said is true and doesnt have to do anything with Arm (or) Suspension.
Thanks
If the problem could have been with arm or suspension the vehicle would have pulled either side. Is it the case? I don't think so. The job will take 15 mins and 250 INR + Labor.

Last edited by mercedised : 16th September 2011 at 20:51.
Old 16th September 2011, 20:53   #810
BHPian

@mercedised, No i am not having pulling problem on left or right side, On 2nd and 3rd Gear there is no sound, only on 1st Gear when i release the clutch, its too noisy and can be heard, its as if something got stuck underbody.

I am posting here because i dont want to get ripped off by Prerana tomorrow and i hope i wont be, since you had already helped me, thanks.