Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 16th September 2011, 20:55   #811
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
@mercedised, No i am not having pulling problem on left or right side, On 2nd and 3rd Gear there is no sound, only on 1st Gear when i release the clutch, its too noisy and can be heard, its as if something got stuck underbody.

I am posting here because i dont want to get ripped off by Prerana tomorrow and i hope i wont be, since you had already helped me, thanks.
Yeah! that is balancing rod. Even you can get it fixed free of cost, if you donot want to replace balancing rod, do this:

Go to any mechanic and ask him to repair the balance rod, he will give 2-3 hammers on the balance-rod and voila the vehicle is noise free. This practice is mostly followed by taxi owners.

BTW, I am having that problem from last 50,000 kms in my 2,43,000 kms clocked Indica. Too lazy to get that corrected since it does'nt harm anything.

Last edited by mercedised : 16th September 2011 at 20:57.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 21:06   #812
BHPian

@mercedised, wow 2,43,000KM on Indica, i brought a sparingly used from my close friend which has clocked only 34k KM.

One more thing i noticed is, when i start and stop the Engine, that jerk sound "thud" comes for a sec and disappears, and the sound continues once vehicle starts to move....

I will try to change the balance rod tomorrow, thanks for your help.
johnruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 14:40   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised

Yeah! that is balancing rod. Even you can get it fixed free of cost, if you donot want to replace balancing rod, do this:

Go to any mechanic and ask him to repair the balance rod, he will give 2-3 hammers on the balance-rod and voila the vehicle is noise free. This practice is mostly followed by taxi owners.

BTW, I am having that problem from last 50,000 kms in my 2,43,000 kms clocked Indica. Too lazy to get that corrected since it does'nt harm anything.
Thank you so much, you were exactly right, it was that same rod which had bent, they fixed the bend for Rs.100

One more issue is they say wiper water tank has leakage, bcos water is leaking and cost for replacement is ~900 will that cost so much?
johnruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 16:37   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
Thank you so much, you were exactly right, it was that same rod which had bent, they fixed the bend for Rs.100

One more issue is they say wiper water tank has leakage, bcos water is leaking and cost for replacement is ~900 will that cost so much?
Yes, for original you will have to pay that much. You can get a 2nd hand wiper tank for as low as 100-200 Rs from scrap shop. Or a duplicate one will cost around 400 Rs. Ask them how much big is the hole or can it be fixed by M seal.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 13:28   #815
BHPian

my indica turbo dlx is responding a bit slower in terms of pick up. Just wanted to know from you experts that , my last service was at 28k, now its running 34k+ ( 7 months in time). Due for service including oil change [ I have changed airfilter with a new one from dealer 2 months back] .

If i remember correctly, the cat-con was cleaned last at 18K service and in last 2 services they have not done it ( i was present during service at dealer end).

Do you think that the dirty / clogged (?) cat con is responsible for this poor response in pick up ?[ I am not suspecting oil since i am filling from the same pump since 1 year with regular use of sys-D]
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 13:49   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post

I am facing a similar issue in my Manza. Want to check if this could be balancing rod. Around 10 days back, I jumped over an unmarked speed breaker at a speed of about 40kmph. The car bounced a bit in the air and settled on the road. Obviously, I felt bad but not much could be done. After this incident, I hear a bit of grinding sound coming from under the engine when the car is at very slow crawling speeds in first gear. The sort of grinding sound comes only when I am below speeds of 5-7kmph and I release or press the cluch in first gear. There is no sound at higher speeds or other gears. What could it be? Manza also has anti roll bar in the front. Asking here as it seems to be same issue as reported by johnruben posted. Car is otherwise doing fine, no pulling etc to any side.

BTW it is a 19 month old manza qjd with 41k on the ODO. Thanks
amit1234singla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 16:38   #817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
There is no sound at higher speeds or other gears. What could it be? Manza also has anti roll bar in the front. Asking here as it seems to be same issue as reported by johnruben posted. Car is otherwise doing fine, no pulling etc to any side.

BTW it is a 19 month old manza qjd with 41k on the ODO. Thanks
Yes, it is balance rod for sure. Don't know the cost involved but it should not cost much to get this issue fixed.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 16:55   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Yes, it is balance rod for sure. Don't know the cost involved but it should not cost much to get this issue fixed.
Thank you, I will get it checked over the weekend. Just for my understanding, do you mind sharing how the balancing rod will make jerking or grinding sound only at very low speeds. I am just not able to figure it out. Thanks so much in advance.
amit1234singla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 21:05   #819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, I will get it checked over the weekend. Just for my understanding, do you mind sharing how the balancing rod will make jerking or grinding sound only at very low speeds. I am just not able to figure it out. Thanks so much in advance.
Actually, I too don't know how this sound comes at particular speeds only, maybe ask the mechanic to whom you get it corrected.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 01:50   #820
BHPian

Quote:
@Amit, Its surely balancing rod, i too had never seen how it looks until the mechanic showed me, its just a small iron substance connected underneath of your car, when it bends it goes straightly touching other component (dont know the name) which is used while changing gears, that is why you hear the screeching, jerking, thud thud noise when you release the first gear, he also showed me the scratches and wear n tear it had created during this bent period (i had drove around 30km approx), i think its better to remove the bend instead of buying a new one and also i suggest not to run the car in this condition as it creates huge scratch underneath.

@Amazing, Try System-D, it works wonder with Indica, pickup issue, vibrations, most of these gets sorted out with this.
johnruben is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 20:14   #821
BHPian

Regarding the balance rod. Not a 100% sure but to my knowledge the balance rod plays a role in determining how the wheels turn in conjunction. A bent balance road can be hammered back. However it wouldnt be to a 100% perfection. I too had undergone a bent balance rod issue few months ago. Drove around 800+ km with a hammered back balance rod and subsequently replaced it. If the balance rod isnt hammered back correctly it may lead to uneven tyre wear. Double check with your wheel alignment guy.
cyberwhizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:11   #822
BHPian

are the Brake Pads for Indica V2 and Indica Vista QJD are same? I've bought a set of Bosch brake pads on which its printed Tata Indica 1.4, F 002H60 032-8F8. According to the authorized Bosch distributor from whom i bought them, its the same for both, he told that he has confirmed this from the company also. Do any one else has put Bosch brake pads in their Indica Vista QJD?
rahulgoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 16:32   #823
BHPian

hi guys i found that the brake pads for Indica V2 and Vista are not same. Vista brake pads are bigger in length. Unfortunately Bosch doesn't manufacture it for Indica Vista, therefore i got the TVS-Girling brake pads installed. I found them to be good in quality, equivalent/better to Bosch, also they are expensive than them. Bosch brake pads had MRP of Rs.500, TVS-Girling brake pads have MRP of Rs.1125/-

Last edited by rahulgoel : 25th September 2011 at 16:33.
Old 25th September 2011, 20:45   #824
Senior - BHPian

I replaced my brake pads exactly a year back for my Indica DLX. The pair of TVS-Girling brake pads costed me INR 580/- that time.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 00:38   #825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I replaced my brake pads exactly a year back for my Indica DLX. The pair of TVS-Girling brake pads costed me INR 580/- that time.
The price of TVS-Girling brake pads may be the same even today (mrp of Bosch is 500/-) for Indica, but I quoted the mrp (precisely Rs.1,112) for Indica Vista QJD. They are higher priced as the brake pads are bigger for Indica Vista QJD.

Last edited by rahulgoel : 26th September 2011 at 00:57.