Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th November 2011, 17:14   #901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj3b
Update: electrical ghost just struck!!!!!
Seems the Alternator regulator is gone,hope alternator is safe. Will get it checked in the morning
Clock is gone too only lits up wen headlights are on and get reset everytime lights are switched off n on, very annoying especially when you depend on it since so many years.
My driving his car behind me told me that only centre high brake light is working on brakes although tail lights are working fine with headlights.
Got the alternator regulator/cuttoff replaced. Watched the full service of it but removing and refitting it is a big task especially when the Brake booster is attached with it!
kcj3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 09:56   #902
jav
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

My front shocks have started to leak oil, can they be repaired or should i replace them?
jav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 19:52   #903
BHPian

Default Re: Problem with opening bonnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
My Indica v2 refused to start today. The engine cranks just fine but refused to start. I noticed that glow plug light switches off as soon as the ignition is turned on wherein earlier, it used to stay on for few seconds and then go off.
I tried to on-off ignition few times and all of sudden, the glow plug light returns to normal and than the car starts just fine.
So I took the car to a TASS and they immediately found the issue. There was a loose bolt stuck somewhere in the glow plug area due to which the timer was not working properly.
They removed the bolt and started the car few times and it worked ok. I was still bit sceptical as I was expecting some big issues there . After all, the car has clocked 150k.
Total bill amount was zero rupee.

Today is 10th day and I have not faced such issue again.
anonymous is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 20:19   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
is there a way to check weather all four cylemders are firing properly or not ???

asking because one of my friends xeta is vibrating a lot , if they are engine mounts then vibration must distort while accelarating or deaccelarating . but thats not the case.

i am confused , please help !!!
I know there is a means to measure the compression of the charge achieved in each of the 4 cylinders, however I am not so sure if there is any way to check if all the 4 cylinders are firing properly or not. Ask your friend to show his car to a TASC.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 20:21   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav View Post
My front shocks have started to leak oil, can they be repaired or should i replace them?
Haven't heard of the front shocks being repaired if there is any oil leakage. The only remedy is to replace the shocks.
Old 28th November 2011, 20:25   #906
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Problem with opening bonnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
So I took the car to a TASS and they immediately found the issue. There was a loose bolt stuck somewhere in the glow plug area due to which the timer was not working properly.
They removed the bolt and started the car few times and it worked ok. I was still bit sceptical as I was expecting some big issues there . After all, the car has clocked 150k.
Total bill amount was zero rupee.

Today is 10th day and I have not faced such issue again.
That's good news. The root cause of such a malfunction could be so trivial, thank you for sharing your experience. Next time if the car doesn't start, we know where to look for
Old 28th November 2011, 21:23   #907
jav
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Haven't heard of the front shocks being repaired if there is any oil leakage. The only remedy is to replace the shocks.
Just came back after fixing the shocks and saw your reply , btw i got my front dampers rebuilt it cost 700 each
jav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 21:47   #908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just came back after fixing the shocks and saw your reply , btw i got my front dampers rebuilt it cost 700 each
That's simply great . Please share with us the details of the job done (preferably with some pictures). Did the person give you any kind of warranty or assurance like these shockers will be good for the next 50K kms or something like that? Rs 700/- for each seems quite reasonable. I guess a new one costs @ 3.5K each, please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 29th November 2011, 10:04   #909
jav
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
That's simply great . Please share with us the details of the job done (preferably with some pictures). Did the person give you any kind of warranty or assurance like these shockers will be good for the next 50K kms or something like that? Rs 700/- for each seems quite reasonable. I guess a new one costs @ 3.5K each, please correct me if I am wrong.
I don't know exactly what was done but it was taken apart and sent for lathe work and then fixed with new parts and oil, i got a 6 month warranty too. The new full unit costs around 2.8k - 3k and just the new damper costs around 1.8 - 2k .
jav is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 10:58   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know exactly what was done but it was taken apart and sent for lathe work and then fixed with new parts and oil, i got a 6 month warranty too. The new full unit costs around 2.8k - 3k and just the new damper costs around 1.8 - 2k .
Good that they have given you 6 months warranty. If it is not going to cause you much of a trouble could you ask them the break-up of part & labour charges. Also ask them apart from oil, which parts did they replace?
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:20   #911
BANNED

friends need urgent help with my 5 yr old Indica Turbo 60k kms.

today when i started car in morning. the power steering made weird noise.
i opened the bonnet and found PS fluid quite less, I has filled it 15 days back and there was a leak from pipe below the reservoir. I refilled it. there was no noise from steering after that. I went to local mech. he said seals are also gone as there was oil near axle on left side and said it was 5 hr/ 1500Rs job, then I went to TASS they said PS will be replaced.

I am trying to trace RANE service nnear by but unfortunately there is none.

Please tel lme should i get this job done from local mech or not
drsnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 15:01   #912
Senior - BHPian

If the local mechanic is quite competent & he has done similar jobs earlier (get evidences) only then go for it. Try to get in touch with someone who has got their jobs done from there & get their feedback.

Got the below information (courtesy TIUG)

The Rane reconditioned steering racks from Tata Motors are being charged Rs 7220/- for a power steering rack, in exchange with your original Rane made defective one.

Tata Motors Customer Care :: Recon Aggregates
Old 8th December 2011, 23:25   #913
BHPian

just got hold of my sisters xeta petrol. car is a feb 2008 model ran for 34k but was standing from last 8 to 10 months.

as i got hold of car now , i noted few things.
  1. car has dents on many places.
  2. engine got started in 5-7 tries (after recharged battery)
  3. engine oil level is between low and high level.
  4. coolent level is between low and high.
  5. P/S oil level is between low and high.
  6. Brakes are barely effective.
  7. car vibrates like hell when the radiator fan starts.
  8. There is khat khat sound from front suspention when car goes over pot holes/ uneven roads etc.
Have some queries , need your help on that.
  • is it okay that engine starts after 2-3 tries ???
  • what are the precautionary measures should i take to bring the car in perfect condition ???
  • what is best engine oil available ???
  • what about vibration when radiator starts ???
what are the best place in delhi to service it ??? (shold be light on pocket as only i would be driving it and financing all work )

waiting for your valuable inputs.......
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 15:16   #914
BHPian

Take your car to bosch auto service. They are OEM suppliers to many manufacturers. They should take care of your car properly. Regarding the car vibrations and smoothness, Any car which has been stranded for even 15 days will display somewhat similar characters. Get all the fluids changed and ask service centres to use flushers. Though it may be costly but you will experience a new car.
su1978 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 22:53   #915
BHPian

^^ Thank you Sir.

can you guide me to the best one available ???
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote