Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th December 2011, 23:37   #916
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Have some queries , need your help on that.
  • is it okay that engine starts after 2-3 tries ???
Can happen with an engine that has not run for a long time.

Quote:
what are the precautionary measures should i take to bring the car in perfect condition ???
A routine service - change all the oils and filters (even the coolant), have the car pressure-washed, get someone to tighten up all nuts and bolts, and you should be good to go.

Quote:
  • what is best engine oil available ???
For a Xeta petrol, any SF-grade engine oil will do perfectly fine. Why look for "the best" and spend unnecessarliy?
Quote:
  • what about vibration when radiator starts ???
Have an auto electrician check out the radiator fan - the fan spindle might be rusted & jammed. Nothing that some WD40 shouldn't fix.
Quote:
what are the best place in delhi to service it ??? (shold be light on pocket...
Check this forum (Delhi NCR - Team-BHP) to find a suitable place. Bosch service centres are a lot more expensive than FNGs, and the Xeta is not a complicated car needing a lot of TLC. Enough expertise is available with the FNGs for this particular type of vehicle. You may also ask your local taxi stand (they have loads of experience with repairing / servicing Indicas, and would point you to a good & cheap FNG).
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 22:17   #917
BHPian

can you suggest a name and quantity for Engine oil ??? i only know shell and mobil 1 delvec mx deisel engine oils.

even i will be hunting down this car with WD 40 myself . there are lot of little things to do . any known FNG's near punjabi bagh or paschim vihar area ???
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 01:17   #918
Senior - BHPian

EDIT: IT's a xeta. Any older oil should do fine
I think 4L is the quantity you need. It should be there in the manual, If you dont have it, get it here http://customercare.tatamotors.com/m...caV2Petrol.pdf

Last edited by greenhorn : 12th December 2011 at 01:19.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 08:54   #919
BHPian

Get Elf turbo API-CH oil, priced 900 for 5L and easily available.
adityamunshi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 09:41   #920
BHPian

any engine oil options available from shell stable ???

asking because my diesel verna runs on shell hx5 (i think) and is much quiter and more responsive.

Thanks .
Old 13th December 2011, 22:58   #921
BHPian

My research shows that i need 4 ltrs of 20w40 engine oil ???

am i correct ??? any recommendations on oil brand ???
Old 11th January 2012, 08:22   #922
BHPian

Hi all
My indica started to show the battery sign on the dash board even after the car is started. It stays on for about 30 seconds and then switches off.

What does this mean? I kinda suspect that the alternator belt may be slipping in the mornings and gets better soon after running a little bit(30 secs).
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 08:45   #923
BHPian

my indica turbo DLG , though maintained well, started to give me issues.
It had completed 65K and the recent major repairs are,

Nozzle sensor failed ( car started emitting white smoke and started to turn off while in the traffic )- set me back by 10K ( including spare part and labour )

water pump failed - replaced the full kit including timing belt.

these are to name a few. when the repair costs started to go over my head, i had to give away my first possession ( though i was feeling bad to do so ) for a trusty mahindra verito D6 .
mathewpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 11:04   #924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Hi all
My indica started to show the battery sign on the dash board even after the car is started. It stays on for about 30 seconds and then switches off.

What does this mean? I kinda suspect that the alternator belt may be slipping in the mornings and gets better soon after running a little bit(30 secs).
deep_bang I was about to direct you towards the alternator, but you yourself have mentioned it. When did you last change your alternator belt? In winter when the belt becomes hard it looses its grip over the pulley & starts slipping, due to which we get that shrilling noise during cold morning starts. Due to this the alternator might not be charging the battery initially & hence the battery indicator on the dash stays on for couple of seconds. Get the alternator belt checked & replaced if required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewpn View Post
my indica turbo DLG , though maintained well, started to give me issues.
It had completed 65K and the recent major repairs are,

Nozzle sensor failed ( car started emitting white smoke and started to turn off while in the traffic )- set me back by 10K ( including spare part and labour )

water pump failed - replaced the full kit including timing belt.

these are to name a few. when the repair costs started to go over my head, i had to give away my first possession ( though i was feeling bad to do so ) for a trusty mahindra verito D6 .
Ohh, does that mean you have sold off your Indica Turbo? What all did you get done in the 10K espenses incurred on your car. Smoke emission could be due to a clogged air filter. Stopping while in traffic could be due to setting of idling rpm at a speed lower that the ideal. Can you please elaborate your whole story for the benefit of other Indica owners? Thanking you in advance
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 11:32   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
deep_bang I was about to direct you towards the alternator, but you yourself have mentioned it. When did you last change your alternator belt? In winter when the belt becomes hard it looses its grip over the pulley & starts slipping, due to which we get that shrilling noise during cold morning starts. Due to this the alternator might not be charging the battery initially & hence the battery indicator on the dash stays on for couple of seconds. Get the alternator belt checked & replaced if required.

Ohh, does that mean you have sold off your Indica Turbo? What all did you get done in the 10K espenses incurred on your car. Smoke emission could be due to a clogged air filter. Stopping while in traffic could be due to setting of idling rpm at a speed lower that the ideal. Can you please elaborate your whole story for the benefit of other Indica owners? Thanking you in advance
The car had "check engine" light ON, and vibration level was high as if one or two injectors does not get enough fuel. May be thats why i had lot of white smoke coming out. all this happened while i was driving through bangalore traffic :( . Somehow i was able to get the car till the TASC, where they connected the laptop to car's interface( which is below the glove box ) and confirmed it is a NSL ( nozzle sensor) failure. The replacement part itself was costing 8K + taxes and then the labour.

The replacement was carried out in less than 1 hr and the car was back to normal.

@AutoIndian, yes i did sell my indica.

The chances of NSL failure as per the SA , if we pressure wash the engine bay when it is hot. but in this case that was done almost 3 weeks before and the car was running well without any fuss.
mathewpn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 14:07   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
There was a loose bolt stuck somewhere. Total bill amount was zero rupee.
The TASS you visited certainly wanted to have you back as a repeat customer. Many workshops would charge because they helped in diagnosing the problem. I once had a tyre shop charge for telling me that a tyre I took to him was tube-less; I said I'd pay him if he carried the tyre into the boot of the car, and I just thought of it as a porter fee.

Quote:
Hi all
If there is a loose belt, you should be able to hear some squeaking noise. A local workshop can probably fix the problem for you while you wait but if not, you may need to have someone look at the alternator.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 16:51   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
The TASS you visited certainly wanted to have you back as a repeat customer.
Its because I have been a regular customer to them for 5 years and moreover they did a major service few days ago. Its also an effect of the Tata Customer Care Service.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 19:24   #928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
The TASS you visited certainly wanted to have you back as a repeat customer. Many workshops would charge because they helped in diagnosing the problem. I once had a tyre shop charge for telling me that a tyre I took to him was tube-less; I said I'd pay him if he carried the tyre into the boot of the car, and I just thought of it as a porter fee.
Yes Sir, it is very much true.
Last summer I took my car to one TASC, while traveling in a neighbouring state and the headlights of my car were not working. Not only they charged me Rs 100/- for an electrical fuse, which normally costs around Rs 10 or so, they also charged me Rs 200/- separately for "Headlight electrical system check" or something.
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 20:08   #929
BHPian

hi all
I wanted to let you all know about 2 problems i faced and how it was solved. Just in case you find yourself in the same situation, i hope this info helps to get you out sooner than later.

Problem 1:
We had been to Mantralaya from Bangalore, and while going to a place called Panchamuki, the road is not good. In fact, the bridge over the river had collapsed 2 years back, and hence there is a makeshift road built by stacking several pipes (like 1 meter diameter pipes) in rows, and then stones and mud filled over them. Pretty innovative i must say.

Anyway, not so great for the car. While coming back at night (6:30pm), some stone touched the underside. We were 4 people+ lot of luggage, and i guess we just grazed over a stone. However, immediately after that, the whole engine started to vibrate whenever i accelerated. I inspected for damage but could not find anything - we were about 20 km from Mantralaya city and it was dark - even if there was damage i would not have been able to make out anything.
drove at a slow speed as much as possible trying to maintain a single RPM. Somehow, i felt it must be the transmission, because as soon as i accelerated, the shudders used to come. Also when the stone grazed the bottom, i could feel it in the gear lever.
Once we got to Mantralaya, i thanked my stars - for we now have a city to sleep in and hopefully support the next day (it was late by the time we reached). Also my whole family + 4 year old kid were there with me. And my wife was pregnant.

The next day i found a mechanic who as soon as he heard the symptom, said he knows the problem and proceeded to fix it even without being demonstrated the problem. While i was having all kind of thoughts on how to find a tata showroom, the nearest city (perhaps Raichur), and what if the gearbox had to be opened up, and such, the mechanic loosed some screws on the underside, and removed a rod. This rod apparently is to maintain a certain distance between the engine and gearbox. When this had got bent, the gear box vibration was touching the engine (or some part of the engine), and causing the shudder. After this was fixed, car was as good a new .

Amazing what a simple mechanic can do. His diagnosis was perfect and I really respect him for that.

Problem 2:
Today morning, as i was driving in some place in south Bangalore, the RPM was fluctuating. RPM goes to about 1600 or 1700 rpm and comes back to normal. This had happened yesterday too but just once. Today it was happenning more frequently. If you see a few posts back i had asked a question on Battery Icon appearing on the dash for the first few seconds in the morning. The general guidelines was to check my alternator. Secondly, the RPM fluctuation was also pointing to the alternator. All this made me thinking it is definitely the alternator problem.

The plan was to come back to my house and give it to TVS Lucas near Hosur Road. I was hoping to be able to come till there (about 20 kms). However, just 5 kms on the way, the car just stalled in the middle of the road.

I called around, and finally got a breakdown service from Concorde (in Kengeri). The guy came and said that the diesel pump has to be activated/pumped (there is a small button on the diesel pump, that when pressed, pumps the diesel). This apparently had to be done if air gets into the fuel line.
However, i was very apprehensive as the fuel guage showed enough fuel - about 25% and i had never in the whole 65k km life of the car, let the fuel go dry.
Either wise, he pumped, and the car did start, but did not remain started for long. It again stopped. The mechanic was sure that the diesel was empty - while i felt the diesel could not be empty as the fuel guage showed about 25% fuel left.

We got a few liters of fuel and poured it it. Then VOILA. It started and remained started!!! The problem was the fuel guage!

So, the moral of the story: If RPM fluctuates, look first if fuel is the problem! In my case, i don't know how i could have done things differently but later on, when i thought about it, i realized that the RPM fluctuations were more around places that were steep (meaning the tank was tilted either towards the front or the back, possibly cutting off the fuel). I could have just got some fuel and tried to see if it started - but at that point of time, it did not even occur to my mind!!

Last edited by deep_bang : 4th February 2012 at 20:12.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 21:25   #930
BHPian

Quote:
hi all
I wanted to let you all know about 2 problems i faced and how it was solved. Just in case you find yourself in the same situation, i hope this info helps to get you out sooner than later.

Problem 1:
We had been to Mantralaya from Bangalore, and while going to a place called Panchamuki, the road is not good. In fact, the bridge over the river had collapsed 2 years back, and hence there is a makeshift road built by stacking several pipes (like 1 meter diameter pipes) in rows, and then stones and mud filled over them. Pretty innovative i must say.

Anyway, not so great for the car. While coming back at night (6:30pm), some stone touched the underside. We were 4 people+ lot of luggage, and i guess we just grazed over a stone. However, immediately after that, the whole engine started to vibrate whenever i accelerated. I inspected for damage but could not find anything - we were about 20 km from Mantralaya city and it was dark - even if there was damage i would not have been able to make out anything.
drove at a slow speed as much as possible trying to maintain a single RPM. Somehow, i felt it must be the transmission, because as soon as i accelerated, the shudders used to come. Also when the stone grazed the bottom, i could feel it in the gear lever.
Once we got to Mantralaya, i thanked my stars - for we now have a city to sleep in and hopefully support the next day (it was late by the time we reached). Also my whole family + 4 year old kid were there with me. And my wife was pregnant.

The next day i found a mechanic who as soon as he heard the symptom, said he knows the problem and proceeded to fix it even without being demonstrated the problem. While i was having all kind of thoughts on how to find a tata showroom, the nearest city (perhaps Raichur), and what if the gearbox had to be opened up, and such, the mechanic loosed some screws on the underside, and removed a rod. This rod apparently is to maintain a certain distance between the engine and gearbox. When this had got bent, the gear box vibration was touching the engine (or some part of the engine), and causing the shudder. After this was fixed, car was as good a new .

Amazing what a simple mechanic can do. His diagnosis was perfect and I really respect him for that.

Problem 2:
Today morning, as i was driving in some place in south Bangalore, the RPM was fluctuating. RPM goes to about 1600 or 1700 rpm and comes back to normal. This had happened yesterday too but just once. Today it was happenning more frequently. If you see a few posts back i had asked a question on Battery Icon appearing on the dash for the first few seconds in the morning. The general guidelines was to check my alternator. Secondly, the RPM fluctuation was also pointing to the alternator. All this made me thinking it is definitely the alternator problem.

The plan was to come back to my house and give it to TVS Lucas near Hosur Road. I was hoping to be able to come till there (about 20 kms). However, just 5 kms on the way, the car just stalled in the middle of the road.

I called around, and finally got a breakdown service from Concorde (in Kengeri). The guy came and said that the diesel pump has to be activated/pumped (there is a small button on the diesel pump, that when pressed, pumps the diesel). This apparently had to be done if air gets into the fuel line.
However, i was very apprehensive as the fuel guage showed enough fuel - about 25% and i had never in the whole 65k km life of the car, let the fuel go dry.
Either wise, he pumped, and the car did start, but did not remain started for long. It again stopped. The mechanic was sure that the diesel was empty - while i felt the diesel could not be empty as the fuel guage showed about 25% fuel left.

We got a few liters of fuel and poured it it. Then VOILA. It started and remained started!!! The problem was the fuel guage!

So, the moral of the story: If RPM fluctuates, look first if fuel is the problem! In my case, i don't know how i could have done things differently but later on, when i thought about it, i realized that the RPM fluctuations were more around places that were steep (meaning the tank was tilted either towards the front or the back, possibly cutting off the fuel). I could have just got some fuel and tried to see if it started - but at that point of time, it did not even occur to my mind!!

If this phenomenon has occured just after you have scrapped the underbody of your Indica by a stone then I dont think the fuel guage is the problem. You must have also hit the fuel tank underneath. Now generally the fuel tank gets hit right in its centre. Just above it there is the outlet pipe for the diesel along with the fuel guage assembly. Now when this portion gets hit the bottom of the tank goes and touches the fuel pipe. This causes the gap between the strainer and the pipe to reduce or it just closes the gap in between. When you start the vehicle for the first time you wont feel the difference. As you go on driving the FIP gets starved for fuel. The black button on the fuel filter you mentioned. When the car stalled did you observe that the black button was pressed tight along with the filter body or was it up right. It should stay upright and you should be able to press it for fuel to be sucked from the tank. If your car stalls again look for this.

I would suggest you to kindly have a good look at the underside of your car especially the fuel tank for the hit. If you see any dent remove the tank completely remove the fuel inlet and the guage assembly. Look for the twisted strainer. Straighten it and put it back into its place. Now from the openeing of the fuel guage remove the dent on the bottom of the fuel tank. Or replace the fuel tank completely.

Please let me know

Thanks & regards
CRDIsamir is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote