Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd March 2012, 11:08   #946
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
Have completed 45K , the brake discs had been cut at 28K when i replaced the original brake pads. I really dont know if the brake pads wore off faster because of the brake disc or was it the other way around. Folks at TASC basically said that brake disc cannot be cut again as it would make it too thin. So basically i went to get a simple axle boot replaced, and ended servicing the entire brake assembly. Brake discs were from TML, genuine spares.
Thanks cyberwhizs. During my 110K service I am going to check the brake pads & discs. Only once I had taken a lathe cut on my RHS disc, I guess it would have worn out by now. The other reason for this assumption is that I observe more brake dust on my RHS wheel compared to the LHS wheel. I think it would be a good time to overhaul the complete brake system. Replace brake oil, brake pads, brake discs & the rear brake drums if required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
My 1999 model, 2,45,000 Kms done Indica, the gasket blew a few days ago. The head has been phased 2-3 times and thus is of no use now. We need a new Engine head for this Indica, if anyone has contacts, please PM me. Thanks, Abhishek.
At 245K kms, your engine block would also be nearing the end of its useful life & it may soon need replacement. Why replace just the engine head when you can get a rebuilt engine for around 35K, with 6 months warranty. I would suggest contact your nearest TASC & enquire about fitting a rebuilt engine.
AutoIndian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 12:01   #947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
At 245K kms, your engine block would also be nearing the end of its useful life & it may soon need replacement. Why replace just the engine head when you can get a rebuilt engine for around 35K, with 6 months warranty. I would suggest contact your nearest TASC & enquire about fitting a rebuilt engine.
Block has already been replaced with a good one (although used from an Indica ran 70,000 Kms). Engine has been rebuilt only 10K kms ago but due to idiocity of mine (not keeping an eye on engine temperature) and malfunctioning radiator fan the engine overheated and the gasket blew. I am selling this car now but currently due to lack of a good engine head the car is resting in garage.

P.S: From your previous post, I would like to add something that might be valuable for you, the braking system of my Indica was overhauled only at 2,33,000 Kms the first time in its 10 years life. And it was functioning right but due to excessive usage I decided to replace both the front discs, nothing bad was found anywhere else but still overhauled braking components.

Last edited by mercedised : 3rd March 2012 at 12:06.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 13:00   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Block has already been replaced with a good one (although used from an Indica ran 70,000 Kms). Engine has been rebuilt only 10K kms ago but due to idiocity of mine (not keeping an eye on engine temperature) and malfunctioning radiator fan the engine overheated and the gasket blew. I am selling this car now but currently due to lack of a good engine head the car is resting in garage.
OK got it, so you just want to get the car in working condition & sell it off. Then it is fine just to replace the head.

Quote:
P.S: From your previous post, I would like to add something that might be valuable for you, the braking system of my Indica was overhauled only at 2,33,000 Kms the first time in its 10 years life. And it was functioning right but due to excessive usage I decided to replace both the front discs, nothing bad was found anywhere else but still overhauled braking components.
By overhauling here you mean replacing the discs, am I right? However replacing the brake pads & brake fluid would have been a regular affair. How frequently did you replace the front brake pads? Also did you ever replace the rear brake drum? I am thinking of overhauling because off late the brakes have lost their bite. It takes quite some effort on the brake pedal to stop the car (realized this after different cars of friends) & in Pune traffic you simply cannot afford to have lousy brakes.
Old 3rd March 2012, 13:17   #949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By overhauling here you mean replacing the discs, am I right? However replacing the brake pads & brake fluid would have been a regular affair. How frequently did you replace the front brake pads? Also did you ever replace the rear brake drum? I am thinking of overhauling because off late the brakes have lost their bite. It takes quite some effort on the brake pedal to stop the car (realized this after different cars of friends) & in Pune traffic you simply cannot afford to have lousy brakes.
Brake overhauling included, brake pads, discs, brake booster\master cylinder, rear pads (or whatever their name is) replacement.

If you want you can do that but would be an unnecessary expense.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 23:42   #950
Senior - BHPian

I had my suspension fixed and tyres changed recently, and noticed that my car has been pulling to the left under hard braking
the pads are also somewhat new (2K kms and 4 months old)
any idea what could be the problem?
Should i talk to the tyre shop or to the TASC about this ?
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 14:14   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I had my suspension fixed and tyres changed recently, and noticed that my car has been pulling to the left under hard braking
the pads are also somewhat new (2K kms and 4 months old)
any idea what could be the problem?
I believe you have got your alignment checked after you put in the new tyres & assuming the readings within the specified limits, then your tyres & suspension should be fine. Since the car pulls to the left only on hard braking, I guess your LHS brake would be applying more force compared to the RHS one, due to which the LHS wheel comes to a stop, whereas the right one is still pulling the car, resulting the left pull. Just a hypothesis, I may be wrong.
AutoIndian is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 21:31   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
car has been pulling to the left under hard braking
DIY : Pads(dust, uneven wear), Brake Fluid Level(do you feel the braking power is less over earlier ?), Any fluid leakages in drums of rear wheels
Else TASC. (Assuming the alignment is good. Since pulling happens only on braking)
DieselDon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 15:30   #953
Distinguished - BHPian

My relative's 2006 Indica ( diesel) is giving a problem. The car refuses to accelerate/move sometimes specially on slopes. The engine revvs but the car doesn't move or does so slow that a cyclist might overtake you easily. If you switch on the AC then the problem just gets more severe. What can be the problem? He has shown it to many mechanics but they are unable to pin-point the location. The problem doesn't occur all the time and other times the car runs smoothly for it age. I thought I will ask you guys here and may be you can suggest the possible faults.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 15:42   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My relative's 2006 Indica ( diesel) is giving a problem. The car refuses to accelerate/move sometimes specially on slopes. The engine revvs but the car doesn't move or does so slow that a cyclist might overtake you easily. If you switch on the AC then the problem just gets more severe. What can be the problem? He has shown it to many mechanics but they are unable to pin-point the location. The problem doesn't occur all the time and other times the car runs smoothly for it age. I thought I will ask you guys here and may be you can suggest the possible faults.
With clutch fully released, if the engine revs but there is no/ less corresponding increase in speed, then clutch is slipping. Did the mechanics check for slipping clutch? How many km's the car has run? Is it on stock clutch?
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 15:52   #955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
With clutch fully released, if the engine revs but there is no/ less corresponding increase in speed, then clutch is slipping. Did the mechanics check for slipping clutch? How many km's the car has run? Is it on stock clutch?
I agree with what Amit has said above. There could be several reasons for the car refuses to accelerate/move sometimes specially on slopes. The foremost being a worn out clutch. How much has the car run? Does he get a feeling that the car is not moving despite the engine racing? The air filter could be severely clogged affecting the air intake to the cylinders. Indica AC, being powerful, is known to sap engine power. At times I too face similar issue when AC is on. But then judicious gear selection helps me overcome this problem. At 109K I am still on factory fitted clutch, but I know it is nearing the end of its useful life.
Old 22nd March 2012, 17:30   #956
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with what Amit has said above. There could be several reasons for the car refuses to accelerate/move sometimes specially on slopes. The foremost being a worn out clutch. How much has the car run? Does he get a feeling that the car is not moving despite the engine racing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
The car has just run 66000 kms but he bought is used at around 50k kms. The car still has the stock clutch I guess. The feeling is more like a total loss of power with the car refusing to move. Its like somebody is holding it from behind. How much does a new clutch cost for the Indica? It would be great if you can give me an idea, both TASS and outside.

EDIT: Hey I just called him to get the exact details about the problem. I am sorry for the earlier confusion. He says the the engine stops responding. There is totally zero feedback from the engine and when this happen then he has to use the clutch and act as if he is picking the car from a standstill. After repeatedly doing this the engine responds back and the car moves. Any pointers to the problem now? I am totally puzzled. The car is running on stock clutch. Just confirmed that.

Last edited by drmohitg : 22nd March 2012 at 17:47.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 17:45   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The car has just run 66000 kms but he bought is used at around 50k kms. The car still has the stock clutch I guess. The feeling is more like a total loss of power with the car refusing to move. Its like somebody is holding it from behind. How much does a new clutch cost for the Indica? It would be great if you can give me an idea, both TASS and outside.
Since it is a used car, which had already run 50K, the first driver (assuming with not so good driving habits & riding the clutch) might have already screwed the clutch. I don't have an idea @ the charges at independent garages, but replacing at TASC would cost @ 5-6K. Attached below is the clutch replacement bill at a TASC for one of my friends. With his due permission pasting it here (after removing the chassis number)

Tata Indica - List of problems-clutch-replacement-bill-new.jpg
Old 29th March 2012, 15:32   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Since it is a used car, which had already run 50K, the first driver (assuming with not so good driving habits & riding the clutch) might have already screwed the clutch. I don't have an idea @ the charges at independent garages, but replacing at TASC would cost @ 5-6K. Attached below is the clutch replacement bill at a TASC for one of my friends. With his due permission pasting it here (after removing the chassis number)

Attachment 906019
The replacement outside will depend mostly on the parts used
OEM Clucth Plate assembly costs around 3400 whereas a local one is available for 1800 ( very famous with taxi operators).
Add labour charges and there you go.
kcj3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 16:27   #959
BHPian

I happened to have a look under the bonnet some days back and noticed that either some cover is missing or there is a vent near the fly wheel.
Kindly comment as if its normal or not!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Indica - List of problems-engine.jpg  

kcj3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 16:46   #960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj3b View Post
I happened to have a look under the bonnet some days back and noticed that either some cover is missing or there is a vent near the fly wheel.
Kindly comment as if its normal or not!
The picture has been taken from a very close-up shot. Can you take it from a distance, with flash ON so that the area/part you are referring would be visible clearly. Currently I cannot make out which part you are talking about due to the shadow on it.