Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th March 2013, 08:15   #1081
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post
I was getting a fuel efficiency of 11.5 kms/ltr or more after initial problems were settled. Now the fuel efficiency averages about 11 kms/ltr.
The FE, no doubt, is on the lower side, even if I assume 100% city driving in congested traffic. Have you calculated what is the FE on purely highway driving, steady speeds, with minimal traffic?

Quote:
After the small work I had was over, the guy who runs it took it around and said that the injectors were delivering too much fuel and have to be attended. He said that he would remove them, send them to injector workshop, and that it would cost about Rs 7000.
That could be the probable reason of low FE (you also said that pick-up is very good & car surges ahead at the slightest push of the accelerator). If the mechanic is a trusted one & has very good workmanship then go ahead. However it is advisable to get any work related to the Fuel system (injectors/fuel injection pump etc) directly done from the nearest TVS Lucas centre. They have standard rates for all such jobs & would guarantee the results.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 11:46   #1082
Senior - BHPian

I got one of my injectors overhauled, cost 4K for one, plus another 7K for the FIP
details here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...g-20-a-23.html
I used to have awesome pickup, but crappy mileage (around 12)
I asked them to do something about the mileage, so now mileage is around 13+, but pickup seems to have dropped.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 21:26   #1083
mgh
BHPian

Thanks guys.

I will get the job done when car is free for a couple of days.

Though, I am tempted not to do anything in view of the pickup now!
mgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 11:14   #1084
BHPian

Default Indica V2 Lxi restoration project, suggestion/inputs needed!

Hello T-bhpians, I have a rather big task of restoring the Indica we have at our home.

We have a Tata Indica Lxi V2 (petrol)
(2004 model, mpfi, 40k on the odo, car hasnt been used much at all)

It has been serving well till date. However due to sheer negligence on my parents part, the car is in a very bad condition. Since I was in college in another city, I never got a chance to take care of the car.

However now I'll be taking care of it as my parents have now retired from their jobs and the car is not used at all. When it was being used it ran less than 3 kms of daily usage and that has taken its toll on the car severely during all these years.

The car has all these problems

- The engine lacks power terribly, doesn't rev at all, very sluggish. Just two days back when dad wanted to go somewhere it refused to start. The car cranks and even the spark plugs are working however no sign of any engine trying to develop power.

- Gearshift is damn hard, clutch is probably a goner too.

- Exhaust is broken and rattling from the inside where the cat con chamber is.

- Power steering fluid has leaked from reservoir.

- Belt squeal.

- There's an oil leak from engine sump, most of the oil is gone.

- Tyres are worn out, 40k on the odometer.

- Windsheild nozzles are jammed. Reservoir not used in ages.

- Paint is chipped where the car has been bumped in traffic or parking lots, minor dents but annoying.
otherwise the paint has not lost its shine (tata paint = win )

- Power window switch malfunctions at times, often but not predictable.

Accidents / Damage
- The car has met with two accidents during all these years. Once in 2006 when dad was on the highway and due to a oil slick the car slammed into the divider. The front wheel hub and suspension was replaced, as I am told.

- The second was when a m800 which lost control rammed into the car when it was parked at a roadside. Damage to the rear right wheel hub and strut, rear right door and tailgate. All were replaced under the insurance claim.

How can I test whether the car's structural integrity is intact with these two incidents ? Since the car right now doesn't even gather speeds its impossible to test it. I don't want to spend more than 1.5 lakh in total including everything. Would be a waste.

The restoration plan

Now getting all these done will cost, and that is fine. Still cheaper than investing in a new car which won't run much. The car is just there for grocery shopping all these days and an occasional run elsewhere. However now Ill be doing occasional highway trips and will be as a support vehicle for biking trips so I want the car in tip top shape.

- Get all the repairs done to factory condition, however TASC in ahmedabad is known for tardiness and not doing their stuff properly :( Is a private garage recommended for all these repairs ?

My friends know a few good ones and their cars run well. However the issue of putting in tata parts (how to verify their genuineness ? Should I buy them myself and give to the pvt garage ? does tata sell all parts that might be required for repairs ? )

- Go for alloy wheels. I do not want to upsize since the ride quality is very good and do not want to hamper that. Are there any stock tata alloys made for this car ? Or any new present ones to plonk to this older car ?

- Tubeless Tyres to go along with these wheels. Which tyre options do I really have ? I am not a top-end enthusiast but like to cruise at 110-120 which I think is the safe boundary for the indica, even though it can go faster.

- Paintwork, I am not sure if I can get it painted at the TASC itself or look for a private paint fellow (several good ones here I know)

I am looking for a more darker gold colour if there is anything like that from tata, or resort to the pearl white that comes on the new Indica vistas. Any colour apart from bright youthful colours. Need something on the sober side.

- Body dent removal / repairs, there's a very good private garage that does it, seen the work on a friend's linea. Or replacing bumpers would be a cheaper option.

- Headlamps I want to change to clear glass + retrofit projectors sourced from theretrofitsource.

I am comfortable in opening up headlamps since I've already done it on my bike. The wiring also does not confuse me.

Interior detailing.

-New fabric seat covers. Leather is absolutely a no no in the hot weather of Ahmedabad where most of the times you enter a car quite sweaty. Any other suggestions keeping comfort in hot weather in mind is welcome !

-The plastic inside feels very bad and there are sharp edges all over. Any aftermarket covers or lining to line over the dashboard, door panels etc ? What material should I ask for in the market ?

These are basically the points I'd like to cover to restore the indica to its optimum condition.

Budget is around 1-1.5 lakh.

Please do not suggest to buy a new car or a another second hand car.
This is my parents car, not mine. I am willing to restore it out of my own money since I have no intentions of buying a car of my own right now. This will do.

Ill be just using it time to time to keep it alive and in a good condition while I can. My parents will not buy a second hand car at all costs. I am more of a motorcyclist than a car enthusiast, however I really liked to drive this indica when it was in a good condition a few years ago, hope to do so again.

I await your valuable inputs
Xeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 11:28   #1085
BHPian

Default re: Indica V2 Lxi restoration project, suggestion/inputs needed!

It looks to be a major repair.

The car would be road worthy if the second accident was settled with insurance (TASC & insurer would have ensured it). But, a 8/9 year old car would have its own ageing effects even if maintained well.

This apart, there are things that cant be sorted technically. For e.g. view on safety of the car after the accidents or a "new car" feeling.

Given that you are okay to have a petrol car, you would land up in a good deal, given the current car market scenario.

But, given the amount of work you have listed (and the probable expectation on the car), I suggest a new car.
babu.sundaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 11:42   #1086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
It looks to be a major repair.

The car would be road worthy if the second accident was settled with insurance (TASC & insurer would have ensured it). But, a 8/9 year old car would have its own ageing effects even if maintained well.

This apart, there are things that cant be sorted technically. For e.g. view on safety of the car after the accidents or a "new car" feeling.

Given that you are okay to have a petrol car, you would land up in a good deal, given the current car market scenario.

But, given the amount of work you have listed (and the probable expectation on the car), I suggest a new car.
Thank you for the reply.

All accident repairs were taken care by the insurance company and done at the largest TASC facility in Ahmedabad (near Aslali) the car was certified road worthy by TASC. I just need to make sure its still that as TASC is horribly rude and uncooperative here as have no interest at all in restoring this car.

Yes I do realise that no matter how much I spend, a tata car may not reach showroom condition but I am willing to spend time with the car while its being repaired.

Buying a new car or a second hand car is a strict no-no, and this condition will not change. I have mentioned this clearly at the end of the post.
Xeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 12:07   #1087
BHPian

There are a lot of things you want to do and am not sure the budget is sufficient. Things like paint job, doing up the interiors etc can get expensive. If it was only for the mechanical repairs, the budget would be fine.

Unless the car is in a warranty period or the local garages are bad, use the FNG. Just ensure that you can get original Tata spares and you are good to go.

The first thing I recommend though is getting the car checked carefully by a trusted mechanic. Not sure how bad the engine is. If it only requires a tuning and cleaning up, no problem. If it requires an overhaul then it is big money.

Just try and see if a full service will take care of all the problems with regards to the engine and mechanicals. It might just be that the engine has sat for so long that it is not running well. If a good service and one long run get it back to scratch, you are in a good position. Thongs like the wiper washer not working sounds more like dirt or another kind of blockage in the nozzle or pipes.

Replacing of things like rims etc are to be done only if necessary because of how it can impact on your budget
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 16:21   #1088
BHPian

hi Xeno,
I think its best to work with the friendly neighbourhood mechanic. The critical areas like FIP, can be done with TVS as AutoIndian mentioned. These will NOT be serviceable by the local mechanic.

I would suggest, start with the local mechanic - let him analyse the car and give his inputs. Do it step by step. First focus only on the engine and get it up and running.

Then focus on the body works and interior improvement.

For alloys etc, that would be the last one in my opinion as they are more for looks than function. Also, a dented body with alloys looks quite bad.
deep_bang is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 23:10   #1089
BHPian

Default Re: Indica V2 Lxi restoration project, suggestion/inputs needed!

Hi xeno. Stick to a good FNG and ask the mechanic to analyse and make a list of spares. Get those from the ASSC of your own and supervise the installation. Go for the engine and gearbox repairs first. Then the suspension and brakes. Bits like projectors, alloys etc can be added later and that too just in a single day. In short, get the mechanicals correct. Also ask the mechanic to flush the radiator and clean it properly after removing it. After replacing the power steering reservoir do check for any leakage in steering rack and pinion. This is prone to go bad in an Indica and tough to repair.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 01:09   #1090
Senior - BHPian

what the others said - if you are serious, get the car to stock first, then paintjob ( I was offered a quote for 22K for a full repaint, but mine is a solid white though) , then mods.
Though if you need an exhaust replacement, an FFE might be a cheaper and better option
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 02:01   #1091
BHPian

Doesn't seem to be too bad. All it probably needs is a little TLC. Would recommend a friendly neighborhood garage/mechanic to first understand the issues involved and then involve TASC where required.

Do not attempt to drive/start the car without engine oil or power steering fluid. You risk damaging the engine/power steering pump/rack if you do so. Depending upon the source of leak of engine oil (mostly it is a loose screw, cracked oil filter or the tappet cover) these are minor in nature and can be fixed by a FNG. With PS, if the leak is from the PS rack assembly then you can get a reconditioned rack from TATA/RaneTRW - approx 7K. If the engine requires a complete overhaul - lack of compression/bent pistons etc, again do look at the option of recon aggregates from tata (it comes with a warranty and is not super expensive) as opposed to rebuilding it. If the leak is from the hoses/connecting pipes they can be easily fixed by the FNG.

For paintjob get it done at a place with has a dust free booth(or a resemblance of it). Avoid getting painted in the 'open'. The rates at TASC and good garages seem to be similar (not overpriced as most other TASC jobs)

With a tata you have no choice but get your hands dirty you will have to spend some time and efforts in getting to know the key systems and where to source/repair them from. Welcome to the club :-)

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 22nd March 2013 at 02:04. Reason: spelling errors
cyberwhizs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 13:03   #1092

Default What is wrong with my Indica Xeta?

Hello everyone,

I know similar problems have been reported earlier on this forum but I could not find any thread which had a solution. Since they were really old threads, I thought I'll start a new one. A little bit of history on my car.

Its a 2006 model Indica Xeta 1.4 Petrol. Although its 7 years old, the car has run only 21k kms as my parents stay abroad and I was away for my engineering. We have got it serviced regularly despite the low usage to keep it in a good shape. I must add that the tyres have never been replaced and the battery is atleast 3 years old now.

After getting a job, I have started using it regularly and face two major issues.

1. The FE is drastically low. I get around 7 in city and 11 on highways.
2. After driving for over 100 kms, the engine sometimes suddenly loses power. This generally happens in 3,4 and 5th gear around 2000rpm. Its a scary situation where the engine is running but just not responding to the accelerator!

I got my fuel injectors cleaned and sensors checked. No problems there. My mechanic said it might be due to a weak battery but that dint make sense as it happens only after a long drive.

can someone please shed some light on what are the points of diagnosis? Is my mechanic right about the battery? Are the tires a problem?

Thanks in advance

Ashwin
awin_nmi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 13:33   #1093
BHPian

Default Re: What is wrong with my Indica Xeta?

Ashwin,
I think it could be something wrong with the O2 sensor, also known as the lambda sensor,
you also could check the electrics like the HT leads etc and make sure you have good sparking.
your mechanics suggestion about a weak battery can't be right as if the alternator is producing current then the engine will run no matter how bad the battery is, and as your car starts with this same battery I dont think is that weak.
good luck.
Saud.

Last edited by msaudf : 22nd March 2013 at 13:54.
msaudf is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 17:31   #1094

Default Re: What is wrong with my Indica Xeta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
Ashwin,
I think it could be something wrong with the O2 sensor, also known as the lambda sensor,
you also could check the electrics like the HT leads etc and make sure you have good sparking.
your mechanics suggestion about a weak battery can't be right as if the alternator is producing current then the engine will run no matter how bad the battery is, and as your car starts with this same battery I dont think is that weak.
good luck.
Saud.
Hi Saud,

A faulty O2 sensor can explain the low FE. But does it also explain the loss of power? The strange thing is the problem doesnt come up for drives upto 70-80 kms. It starts occuring only after I have been driving for over 100 kms. Can overheating be an issue?

I did ask the mechanics to check the sensors. They claimed it was working fine!
awin_nmi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 13:57   #1095
BHPian

I am facing a typical problem with my 2003 model Indica V2 DLS. The car has done 100 K kilometers.

There was coolent leakage a few days ago and the TASC replaced the rubber pipe and elbow.

The car was fine for 2 days and then the coolent started leaking from another location and after every fix, it worked for a day or two and finds a new place for leaking.

Now in about past 30 days, the complete coolent circuit has been replaced including the pump (near timing belt) and the radiator, pressure pipe, temperature sensor (that triggers the radiator fan) etc.

All repairs at TASC.

Yesterday it again started leaking. All parameters were normal after last repair
- The fan runs on time.
- No back pressure (I am not sure what does this mean - this term was used by TASC guy)
- The water pump is working normally etc.

Now the only thing suggested is - Head Phase Out for which the local mechanic has given an estimate of 3.5 K and TASC 7.0 K

Please advise.

Last edited by i74js : 6th May 2013 at 14:00.
i74js is offline   Reply With Quote