Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2013, 19:14   #1096
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 86
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Hi everyone,

Yesterday i had weird issue with my Indica. While return to home all the sudden the Check engine light started glowing and the vehicle's engine was sounding like a Anemic person (like the cylinders were misfiring or something) . The Fuel level was proper , there was no heating (the temperature gauge was less than half) and no electrical items were also connected except the ICE which was connected some 4 years ago. The battery is also relatively new (2+ years) with a Amaron.

I then moved the car to the side of the road , turned off the car and the tried restarting but the issue persisted (Anemic sounding noise and check engine light).

Then i called my local mechanic to ask him to tow my car and after some 10 minutes (since the mechanic was getting delayed) i started the car and to my surprise everything was fine and i was able to reach home safety. I ran the car for some 30 kms today and still there is no sign of any issue.

Any insights would be much appreciated on what could have been the root cause.
Aceman82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2013, 10:21   #1097
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Noida
Posts: 33
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Dear All

Have the following issue with my Indigo LS-3 2005 model run around 135000 kms. Checked the fuses , 10 A A/C control is ok .

Air re-circulation is not working.
Only fresh air is drawn from outside of the car.
The switch glows when pressed .
but air is drawn from outside.

what can be the issues. Air re-circulation works 2-3 days before but for 2-3 mins and after that only fresh air is drawn

Virender
virender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 14:55   #1098
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 190
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by virender View Post
Dear All

Have the following issue with my Indigo LS-3 2005 model run around 135000 kms. Checked the fuses , 10 A A/C control is ok .

Air re-circulation is not working.
Only fresh air is drawn from outside of the car.
The switch glows when pressed .
but air is drawn from outside.

what can be the issues. Air re-circulation works 2-3 days before but for 2-3 mins and after that only fresh air is drawn

Virender
It is a classic problem in HVAC units made by BEHR in Indigo/indica.
There is a cheap and permanent solution but you will loose the fresh air option.(Can be compensated by slightly lowering the windows)
Upon removing the blower motor, you can find a motorized plastic flap which directs air (Located towards the firewall and little difficult to access).
Cut the wire going to the motor and insulate it.
Close the flap using tape and binding wire. Clean all the ducts.
Lastly, using a wide transparent tape- close the fresh air intake grill which is located below the windshield.

No more problem of dried leaves,dust and other debris entering and clogging the evaporator coils.
interc00led is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 11:50   #1099
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Noida
Posts: 33
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
It is a classic problem in HVAC units made by BEHR in Indigo/indica.
There is a cheap and permanent solution but you will loose the fresh air option.(Can be compensated by slightly lowering the windows)
Upon removing the blower motor, you can find a motorized plastic flap which directs air (Located towards the firewall and little difficult to access).
Cut the wire going to the motor and insulate it.
Close the flap using tape and binding wire. Clean all the ducts.
Lastly, using a wide transparent tape- close the fresh air intake grill which is located below the windshield.

No more problem of dried leaves,dust and other debris entering and clogging the evaporator coils.

Thanks Intercooled , but what is the probable cause and a solution instead of a temporary juggad
virender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 14:34   #1100
BHPian
 
drsingh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 660
Thanked: 444 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post
Hi everyone,

Yesterday i had weird issue with my Indica. While return to home all the sudden the Check engine light started glowing and the vehicle's engine was sounding like a Anemic person (like the cylinders were misfiring or something) . The Fuel level was proper , there was no heating (the temperature gauge was less than half) and no electrical items were also connected except the ICE which was connected some 4 years ago. The battery is also relatively new (2+ years) with a Amaron.

I then moved the car to the side of the road , turned off the car and the tried restarting but the issue persisted (Anemic sounding noise and check engine light).

Then i called my local mechanic to ask him to tow my car and after some 10 minutes (since the mechanic was getting delayed) i started the car and to my surprise everything was fine and i was able to reach home safety. I ran the car for some 30 kms today and still there is no sign of any issue.

Any insights would be much appreciated on what could have been the root cause.
Most likely a fuel pump/injector issue. Check the air filter too.
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 16:07   #1101
BHPian
 
deep_bang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore / Boise
Posts: 565
Thanked: 250 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Hi all,
My Indica's turn indicator lamp is blown. Any pointers on how to change it? The one i am talking about is the one on the side next to the driver side door. It does not seem accessible from anywhere!
deep_bang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 18:52   #1102
BHPian
 
IndigoXLGrandDi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solapur (MH-13)
Posts: 976
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

deep bang,
IIRC, you can use a Screw Driver to remove the plastic cover and replace the bulb.
You can go to a local mechanic and get the bulb changed.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 23:10   #1103
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,683
Thanked: 1,030 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

just pull it out using a couple of screwdrivers. It's a push fit with clips on both sides.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 14:29   #1104
BHPian
 
advaitlele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pune, Vadodara
Posts: 493
Thanked: 248 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Hi Folks,

My Indica Xeta petrol is nearing 50k mark and would be sent to servicing next month. No major problems faced till now and it would be a service as recommended in the manual for 50k mark.
Only one problem which I am facing for some 3 months now. There is a noise from front wheels whenever the car goes on a slightly rough road (typical unfinished road) and there is a sound "khad-khad-khad-khad" till I pass over that patch. Is it to do with bad suspension? Do I have to change the bushes / any other suspension setup?

I have no plans to sell the car as it serves me perfect with peace of mind.

PS : this car would complete 7 years in August this year.

Last edited by advaitlele : 9th July 2013 at 14:36. Reason: Forgot to add PS
advaitlele is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 15:23   #1105
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,062
Thanked: 3,609 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
Hi Folks,

My Indica Xeta petrol is nearing 50k mark and would be sent to servicing next month. No major problems faced till now and it would be a service as recommended in the manual for 50k mark.
Only one problem which I am facing for some 3 months now. There is a noise from front wheels whenever the car goes on a slightly rough road (typical unfinished road) and there is a sound "khad-khad-khad-khad" till I pass over that patch. Is it to do with bad suspension? Do I have to change the bushes / any other suspension setup?

I have no plans to sell the car as it serves me perfect with peace of mind.

PS : this car would complete 7 years in August this year.
Very well it could be worn out strut, bearings, mounts (the mount plates fitted over the struts) & bushes. If these rubber fittings go bad, then its like metal on metal friction which makes that noise.
If the car has never had a suspension overhaul, the time has come & in good time.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 15:36   #1106
BHPian
 
advaitlele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pune, Vadodara
Posts: 493
Thanked: 248 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Thanks Saket.
Yes, the car suspension has never been overhauled. Yes, it might be time to do it now.

Also, what all points should I include in the service checklist when I give the car. Would standard 50k checklist suffice that comes in the manual OR should I stress on a few points when I meet the service guy?
advaitlele is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 15:57   #1107
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,062
Thanked: 3,609 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
Thanks Saket.
Yes, the car suspension has never been overhauled. Yes, it might be time to do it now.

Also, what all points should I include in the service checklist when I give the car. Would standard 50k checklist suffice that comes in the manual OR should I stress on a few points when I meet the service guy?
50K kms without a suspension overhaul is good in Indian conditions. Hence, its definitely due for a service.

1. The suspension overhaul would include a check to the shock absorbers, replacing all rubber components & mounts, check the arms, & joints. My advice would be to couple the steering tie rod & other joints check with the suspension job. This job should cost you around 2-3K if the shocks are not replaced. I am assuming that the lower arms, CV joints and ball joints will be replaced. If not an issue, the steering tie rod would be serviced.

2. Change the transmission oil in the gearbox, if never done before.
3. Inspect the brake pads/ drums/ discs if a recent brake job is not done. Grease the caliper pins. Change the brake fluid if not done in last 2 years and bleed them to remove air from the hydraulic system.
4. Must be an engine oil change due too.
5. Replace air filter/ fuel filter
6. Rotate tyres if not done in last 5-6 K kms. (Assuming that they are on new set of tyres as its 50K kms, else make sure that the better tyres are on front axle)
7. If its a petrol version, clean the spark plugs / replace if they have done over 20K kms.

Rest depends on the condition of the car and any other issues that you might be facing. With monsoons around ,make sure that the tyres & wipers are in good condition, not to mention the brakes too. I may have missed some points, hence, merge the above with your check list.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 9th July 2013 at 16:02.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 21:50   #1108
BHPian
 
IndigoXLGrandDi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solapur (MH-13)
Posts: 976
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: Khad-Khad noise when the car goes over rough patch.

@advaitlele..
You can check the Brake Caliper Pins (Bolts) first. They loose Grease with operation and give out the kind of noise you mentioned. Get them lubricated with grease and see whether the noise disappears or not. This will be cheaper option. If not then get the suspension checked.
I too used to hear the Khad-Khad noise from F-R end. When checked, the Caliper Bolts have had lost all the grease within the housing. This also led to wear the Brake Pads pre-maturely. I replaced the Brake Pads with TVS Girling make and got the Caliper Pins lubricated with grease and now the noise of Khad-Khad noise has gone.
My car name is indicated adjacent to this post.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 9th July 2013 at 21:52.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 08:20   #1109
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,683
Thanked: 1,030 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

My Indica's front part of the chassis (or subframe) where the engine/suspension etc are mounted has started to rust heavily. The TASC has quoted 20K to replace the whole thing, while a local Garage has suggested 5K for some patch work to fix the rusted parts.

What should I do? My car is 6 years old, and am planning to keep it for at least 1~2 more years
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 08:43   #1110
BHPian
 
drsingh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 660
Thanked: 444 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
My Indica's front part of the chassis (or subframe) where the engine/suspension etc are mounted has started to rust heavily. The TASC has quoted 20K to replace the whole thing, while a local Garage has suggested 5K for some patch work to fix the rusted parts.

What should I do? My car is 6 years old, and am planning to keep it for at least 1~2 more years
Id advise you against patchwork.the extra 15k you spend can be easily recovered by delaying your new purchase by a year. The insurance cost saved over a year alone will cover this expense.
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indica Vista - list of Known problems greenhorn Technical Stuff 1418 20th June 2017 17:13
Tata Manza - List Of Problems jkdas Technical Stuff 188 4th January 2017 14:01
Tata Indica Vista- Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 2 24th June 2011 19:47
Tata Indica V2 DLS customized vs Tata Indica V2 DLX karikrishni Hatchbacks 20 12th November 2009 10:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks