Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th August 2013, 12:44   #1111

Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
Got the steering rack repaired at my friendly TASP, TASP basically got the job done from Rane TRW service center. They offer a 6 month warranty.
Cost breakup :
3750 - power steering repair kit,
950 - Repair & refitting rack
234 - ATF fluid
250 - Wheel alignment (at my regular tyre shop)
Total: 5184

Incidently i recieved a quote of 12K from TASC. They also send the rack to Rane to get it repaired/overhauled. I wonder why there is so much of a difference between the two. Anyone have any idea on this?

The only problem with my friendly TASP being they take atleast 2 - 3 attempt to get things done 'correctly', lack a proper car wash. After taking the car today, i found the brakes a big spongy and lacking the regular bite, wonder what my friends fiddled with while overhauling the steering rack. :-( Another trip to my friendly TASP
Hi. Have Indigo GLX. Done 32K. Recently hearing creaking sound from Steering. Showed to Fortune Motors, Sakinaka. They say they have to open the Steering Rack & then send it somewhere. 3 days work. It could also be Mounting strut issue. No leakage in PS Oil tank which is full. QUoting 10-15k approx.
Pl share your TASP contact no. Also Rane TRW service center contact no. WHere are they in Mumbai? I am at Powai.
Pl revert asap
Thanks
asheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 18:06   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asheet View Post
Hi. Have Indigo GLX. Done 32K. Recently hearing creaking sound from Steering.
Does it make creaking noise only while turning the steering ?
If so, it must be the upper strut mount bearing.

Try to raise the front end of the car, turn the steering and check for noise.
interc00led is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 21:41   #1113
BHPian

Creaking sound is more likely to come from lower arm bush or ball joints. If it only comes when turning then it could be inner arm ball joint. If PS fluid is full then it is unlikely to be a rack issue. The tasp i went is in irla. S V Road.Alternatively go to richard garage which is now run by concorde ie tata at marol. Hope this helps .

PS: if your car is out of warranty try an independent garage, atleast get a diagnosis/quote from them

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 17th August 2013 at 21:46.
cyberwhizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 16:40   #1114
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, I need your help to bring my Indica Xeta back to an acceptable running condition, please! The list of problems is quite long, and taking her to TASS would probably result in me spending twice the resale value of the car, and some problems would still keep recurring given the (in)competence of those guys. I've decided that genuine Tata parts bought by me and fitted by a friendly neighborhood mechanic is the way to go.

I have a sticker on the hatch that says "Live To Drive", but nowadays I suppose "Live To Push" would be a more accurate description. I'm scared to drive her for anything other than very short trips, and she spends most of her time parked. This has also led to those pesky haired creatures (rats) taking a liking to the car.

Where can I buy genuine Tata car spare parts in Chennai? The worthless fellows at Concorde turned me away unprofessionally, citing one excuse or the other, though I suspect they had the parts with them. I wasn't surprised in the least. Even with their sales numbers reducing drastically to a third of what it was a year ago, there seems to be NO change in them. Karl Slym's attempt to improve customer focus, the so-called "Horizonext" is turning out to be a big sham. All I can say is that they are only beginning to reap their just rewards in terms of monthly sales and market share, the real deal is yet to come.

I suppose General Patters Road is the place to go. But I don't have much experience there, and want to avoid spurious spares. Does anyone know of shops that sell genuine Tata spares in Chennai, either on GP Road or elsewhere? Many thanks to Greenhorn for sharing a very useful list of Tata spares in this thread (Tata Motors Spare Parts Pricelist). All I need to know is, where to buy them from?

Last edited by RSR : 24th November 2013 at 16:49.
RSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 21:55   #1115
Senior - BHPian

My Indica turbo DLG (2007) has an almost dead window winder. apparently the spring in the assembly is broken.
I was told that The current winder mechanism is no longer in production, and the current winder mechanism is incompatible with my glass assembly, and I'm looking at a full glass/frame/motor etc replacement (=$$ in the 5 figure+ area)
I'm talking about this part
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3319780

Now my mech has sourced a generic replacement part, but says that it will create some vibrations, since it's not a perfect replacement.

Is there any way I can source a real replacement in chennai?
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 23:33   #1116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Now my mech has sourced a generic replacement part, but says that it will create some vibrations, since it's not a perfect replacement.

Is there any way I can source a real replacement in chennai?
If you source it from TML Authorized service centre, then they will make you buy the complete assembly along with the winding motor & probably the glass as well, could cost well above 2.5K Rs. However if you go to a reputed spare parts shop & tell them that you want the old Indica winder (specify the side, left or right), then you can get it @ 700 odd Rs. These winder assemblies are not Tata genuine parts, but they are exactly similar. I have been using 3 such winder assemblies for the last several months, no issues whatsoever.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 12:11   #1117
BHPian

Instead of replacing the entire assembly talk to your neighbourhood mechanic and ask him what exactly needs to be replaced. Get that part alone from TASC coz you might not get genuine ones outside. If you find it difficult talk to one of the TASC mechanics (not the guy who writes the job card as he would have targets to meet and would insist on getting it serviced there) and he might help you. Try two to three service centres and you might get what you want. Else, do what AutoIndian suggests.
bharatbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 10:44   #1118
BHPian

Diesel is leaking from my Indica DLS. My friendly neighbourhood service guy tells me it's from the Bosch pump. TASC tells it is from the cam activator. Fuel is leaking at the rate of almost 2 drops every second when i start the engine. However, after i travel some distance and check for diesel leak there's hardly any leakage. My guess is it is leaking only when i turn on the engine (and maybe only in the mornings when the engine is cold). Kindly recommend what i should be doing next. I got the cam activator M Sealed earlier when it was leaking. Could that be the culprit again?
bharatbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2014, 19:47   #1119
KVS
BHPian

Default Engine problem in my Indica

Hi,

My Indica- (DLX, 2005, 72K KM, driven by my wife, 2005) is giving some problems. For a few days before the problem began, 'check engine' message would occasionaly flash after the car had been driven for 20 kilometers. One day on the highway, the needle moved towards H and a red light began flashing. She stopped the car and added water.(as coolant level was low). Later she added coolent and took the car to the local mechanic. He said the radiator fan was not working, Engine gasket was damaged. He said it will cost (~13K). She asked him to go ahead.

However, He opened the engine to fix the gasket and said the piston has some scratches and that need to be fixed and to do the work it will be 25K. He is saying when the engine is started that coolant is jetting out of the engine..

I am out of India to check what the exact issue is.. So, I have asked her to tow the car to TML dealer and get it fixed there.

The dealer is saying engine need to be overhauled and the cost is 90K!!!.

I will be back in India this week, I need suggestions/comments from experts to have a meaningful discussion with the service guys

Cheers

KVS
KVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 09:59   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Engine problem in my Indica

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVS View Post
The dealer is saying engine need to be overhauled and the cost is 90K!!!.

I will be back in India this week, I need suggestions/comments from experts to have a meaningful discussion with the service guys

Cheers

KVS
I would suggest hold on till you are back in India. Instead of overhauling the engine it would be better to go for a refurbished engine or a recon engine

You can get the complete details of the recon engine at TML website below. Moreover it can be done at a fractional cost of the new engine.

http://customercare.tatamotors.com/r...reconaggre.asp

Your car's engine has stopped working!
  • Worried by the thought of leaving your car for 3-4 days together in local workshop and becoming immobile?
  • Concerned about the quality of the local workshop, which uses cheap non-genuine spare parts or untrained manpower to attend to your complaint?
  • Needless to say, the cumulative cost of the repeat complaints will burn a big hole in your pocket!
Get The Recon Advantage

Tata Motors proudly launches a new "RECON UNIT EXCHANGE" program under which you can get your engine changed on the same day (within 8 hrs) and the cost of engine* is only 50-60% of the new engine cost.
Cost on the exchange basis and assuming that your engine block / crank shaft / cylinder head are reusable.

RECON UNIT on exchange basis for your TATA MOTORS PASSENGER CAR
  • Recon Engine / Short block
  • Recon Power Steering Re-circulating ball type gear box
  • Recon Power Steering Rack & Pinion gear box
  • Recon Power Steering pump
  • Recon AC Compressor
  • Recon AC Fan Shroud Assembly Diesel
  • Recon Condenser Fan Eco AC
Here is what you get through TATA MOTORS APPROVED RECON UNIT
  • Recon units are factory assembled using genuine parts
  • Recon units are checked for quality and tested on test rigs used for new OE units
  • Recon Engines and Short blocks are assembled in Tata authorised Recon Centre using approved process and genuine parts
  • Performance as original
  • Backed by Warranty for 6 months / 50000 km
  • Cost effective - priced only at 50 - 60% of new unit
  • Minimum downtime
Compare this with Local Reconditioning / Repair
  • Non genuine spare parts usage
  • Machining, Reboring and grinding etc at local shops on old, decrepit machines
  • No Testing, No quality checks
  • Very high cumulative cost
  • No Warranty
  • Longer down time
  • No adherence to repair process or quality standards
Name:  Recon units prices.jpg
Views: 5014
Size:  49.3 KB
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 17:38   #1121

Guys i was wanting to install fog lamps/ driving assist lamps on my 2004 DLE. the square ones imbedded in the front bumper, can anyone help me out on how it has to be done. was looking through the threads but did not come across any. Thanks in advance
aoussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:43   #1122
BHPian

Hello Indica owners and experts,

I would like to know, where are the air intake ports inside the Indica xeta cabin which are used in re-circulation mode in A/c.

What i mean is, from where does the air inside the cabin gets sucked inside the A/C system during re-circulation mode.

I would like to use A/C deodorizer to kill bacteria/mold/meldew fungi etc and for that i need to spray the contents in the intake ports inside the cabin.

Any help in locating them would be nice.
BakyaBHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 23:23   #1123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakyaBHP View Post
Hello Indica owners and experts,

I would like to know, where are the air intake ports inside the Indica xeta cabin which are used in re-circulation mode in A/c.

What i mean is, from where does the air inside the cabin gets sucked inside the A/C system during re-circulation mode.

I would like to use A/C deodorizer to kill bacteria/mold/meldew fungi etc and for that i need to spray the contents in the intake ports inside the cabin.

Any help in locating
start engine, start blower and put it on position 4, press the recirculation switch. then go outside the car with spray can in front side and look for openings in the form of strips just below the wipers or rather just below the windshield glass. spray the can into these open strips. the chemical will traval in to the ac. the air is sucked inside the car ac thru these strips or openings. trust this helps. thanks

Last edited by Eddy : 31st December 2014 at 09:54. Reason: Fixing quotes
SuMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 19:22   #1124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
hi all
I wanted to let you all know about 2 problems...
Somehow, i felt it must be the transmission, because as soon as i accelerated, the shudders used to come. Also when the stone grazed the bottom, i could feel it in the gear lever.

The next day i found a mechanic who as soon as he heard the symptom, said he knows the problem and proceeded to fix it even without being demonstrated the problem. While i was having all kind of thoughts on how to find a tata showroom, the nearest city (perhaps Raichur), and what if the gearbox had to be opened up, and such, the mechanic loosed some screws on the underside, and removed a rod. This rod apparently is to maintain a certain distance between the engine and gearbox. When this had got bent, the gear box vibration was touching the engine (or some part of the engine), and causing the shudder. After this was fixed, car was as good a new .
I own a Vista TDI having Indigo/Indica Turbo Engine. My car has the same gearbox as a Indica/Indigo just that it has a cable shift gear lever. Its only 21k kms driven.

Problem 1:
The gear lever rattles and I can feel something inside the gearbox rubbing each other. This especially happens when the car is at speeds above 70-80 and I accelerate in 4th or 5th gear.

So two inferences:

1) It has something to do when the engine is under load or being lugged (only a bit, Engine lugging is not the problem here)

Might be a part of the engine is touching the chassis and the virbation is creeping to the gear lever. This inference is because one of the guy having a fiat engine and fiat gearbox also had the same problem. The root cause they traced back to the turbo pipe touching the chassis.

2) When I pull the gear lever slightly back or hold it, the rattling stops but sometimes not. Also I can still fill some feeling of two rotating parts rubbing in the gearbox.

I think its the Gearbox fork lever rubbing the synchronizer collar. But then the gearbox being a cable shift gearbox ideally the vibrations should not have been transmitted to the gear lever.

Can anyone throw more light on the quoted text in bold. This can also be a reason for the Gear lever vibration.

Problem 2:
My First gear used to clash and even second gear shift had become hard. Adjusted the freeplay of the clutch and the problems reduced but it seem the synchronizer wear has occured and again its become hard for me to shift to 1st gear.
Second gear shifts are still ok but growing hard day by day.

Note: I do press the clutch fully while shifting.

Synchronizer wear at nearly 18k kms is too early. I do not know what caused this problem a misadjusted Clutch pedal free play or a design fault (Read lack of Synchro Fork centralization wrt to Synchrno Collar)

I am more interested in solving Problem 1 first because its more of a headache now to drive on highways with this rattling gear lever.

Last edited by amit_purohit20 : 28th July 2014 at 19:24.
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2014, 13:26   #1125
BHPian

Can anyone please share the rear stereo wiring code for indica v2, otherwise i have to open the whole console to check it.
kcj3b is offline   Reply With Quote