Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2015, 14:09   #1141
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 234
Thanked: 115 Times
Question Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

** Morning Cold Start Problem **

Vehicle - Indica Diesel Turbo DLX- 57K odo, 7 yrs old.

In the last 2 weeks , in morning , I am facing starting problem. A few times, it did not start around 8 am , but once kept outside in sun, then starts around 12 PM once car is hot all over and then fine all day.

Secondly, in the morning even if it starts , it sputters and stops , in next try it starts OK. after that all day, its fine as if nothing has happened.

Took it to garage, and got below checked:
- all glow plugs OK, changed in July 2014 only
- Battery ok, just 2 years old.
- all electrical OK as per them.

they told to check the fuel lines/ pump etc.

Want expert opinion as to what can be wrong here so that right parts are changed/ overhauled.

Pls suggest.

Last edited by Amazing : 5th March 2015 at 14:10. Reason: spell check
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 14:32   #1142
BHPian
 
CRDIsamir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Miraj MH 10
Posts: 123
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
** Morning Cold Start Problem **

Vehicle - Indica Diesel Turbo DLX- 57K odo, 7 yrs old.

In the last 2 weeks , in morning , I am facing starting problem. A few times, it did not start around 8 am , but once kept outside in sun, then starts around 12 PM once car is hot all over and then fine all day.

Secondly, in the morning even if it starts , it sputters and stops , in next try it starts OK. after that all day, its fine as if nothing has happened.

Took it to garage, and got below checked:
- all glow plugs OK, changed in July 2014 only
- Battery ok, just 2 years old.
- all electrical OK as per them.

they told to check the fuel lines/ pump etc.

Want expert opinion as to what can be wrong here so that right parts are changed/ overhauled.

Pls suggest.


If the glow plugs are OK then check for the Filter Assembly. The filter assembly has 2 non return valves if damaged then it is unable to maintain the fuel level in the FIP as the pump is slightly above the filter. Change the filter plate part number 9001-742A costing about Rs1020/- If this doesent solve the issue you may require to calibrate the FIP.

Regards

Samir
CRDIsamir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 14:41   #1143
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 234
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDIsamir View Post
If the glow plugs are OK then check for the Filter Assembly. The filter assembly has 2 non return valves if damaged then it is unable to maintain the fuel level in the FIP as the pump is slightly above the filter. Change the filter plate part number 9001-742A costing about Rs1020/- If this doesent solve the issue you may require to calibrate the FIP.

Regards

Samir
Thanks Samir.

So, just to be clear, I dont need to change the Fuel Filter [ changed in servicing just in Dec 2014 ] , but a separate Filter Plate. Or should I change both ?

Just for my knowledge, how much cost does a FIP calibraton takes?
Is it OK to do in garage or auth Tata service Centre , since its a critical part ?
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 14:50   #1144
BHPian
 
CRDIsamir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Miraj MH 10
Posts: 123
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
Thanks Samir.

So, just to be clear, I dont need to change the Fuel Filter [ changed in servicing just in Dec 2014 ] , but a separate Filter Plate. Or should I change both ?

Just for my knowledge, how much cost does a FIP calibraton takes?
Is it OK to do in garage or auth Tata service Centre , since its a critical part ?


Yes just change the filter plate. No need to change the fuel filter if changed recently. FIP calibration costs approximately around Rs4500/- which includes the Gasket Kit, Blade Liner and labour charges. The FIP is Delphi-TVS make and it can be serviced at the company workshop at
Lucas Indian Service Ltd.
Neeta Towers, Opp Sandvisk Asia
Mumbai Pune Road,
Dapodi,
Pune.

Cpntact Person Mr. Rahul Gore

PM me if you need any other details.
CRDIsamir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 14:54   #1145
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 234
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Thanks Samir.

Filter Plate can be changed in the local garage , right and it is simple job I presume?

I will do this first and then proceed accordingly.
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 07:50   #1146
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jalgaon
Posts: 234
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

I have a query with respect to the fuel pump.
My friend has an Indica (2006 model), with 109000 kilometres on the oDo. Since I do not own any car at the moment, I have sourced this friend's Indica for 3 days for a 1000 kilometre family trip. Yesterday, we took the car on a drive. I felt the car to be perfectly fine with respect to pick up, speed, braking, suspension, etc and most importantly, with start ups. I took it from him and got it washed last night and came home. Today early morning, I started the car and it started in the 1st crank. However, the check engine light was intermittently coming up and whenever I revved her up to 2000 RPM the RPM would drop to 1000, then again rise and fall.
What could this be? Moisture/water problem due to washing or fuel pump going bad?
Swapnil4585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 09:09   #1147
BHPian
 
deep_bang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore / Boise
Posts: 578
Thanked: 278 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
I have a query with respect to the fuel pump.
My friend has an Indica (2006 model), with 109000 kilometres on the oDo. Since I do not own any car at the moment, I have sourced this friend's Indica for 3 days for a 1000 kilometre family trip. Yesterday, we took the car on a drive. I felt the car to be perfectly fine with respect to pick up, speed, braking, suspension, etc and most importantly, with start ups. I took it from him and got it washed last night and came home. Today early morning, I started the car and it started in the 1st crank. However, the check engine light was intermittently coming up and whenever I revved her up to 2000 RPM the RPM would drop to 1000, then again rise and fall.
What could this be? Moisture/water problem due to washing or fuel pump going bad?
I had a similar problem when I had got my 2006 indica serviced (and washed) a few months ago. The idling was very rough and the check engine light was intermittently on. I presume it was the wash that caused the problem as it was fine the next day onwards.
deep_bang is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 10:47   #1148
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 3,093
Thanked: 3,767 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
I have a query with respect to the fuel pump.
My friend has an Indica (2006 model), with 109000 kilometres on the oDo. Since I do not own any car at the moment, I have sourced this friend's Indica for 3 days for a 1000 kilometre family trip. Yesterday, we took the car on a drive. I felt the car to be perfectly fine with respect to pick up, speed, braking, suspension, etc and most importantly, with start ups. I took it from him and got it washed last night and came home. Today early morning, I started the car and it started in the 1st crank. However, the check engine light was intermittently coming up and whenever I revved her up to 2000 RPM the RPM would drop to 1000, then again rise and fall.
What could this be? Moisture/water problem due to washing or fuel pump going bad?
Are you sure it is the check engine indicator or us it the battery/ alternator indicator? When you experience the drop in rpm, do you also feel there is a significant reduction in power as well? If not then I can tell you the reason why this might be happening. The alternator belt might have become lose. After washing the belt would become more slippery resulting the alternator not being driven as expected. Hence the battery indicator on the dash would light up. This same belt gives a signal to the tachometer. Hence you will find the rpm also dropping suddenlyvto idling speeds.

I had observed this phenomenon umpteen number of times during rainy season in my Indica when the rain water would splash up on the alternator belt, it would stop driving the alternator, rpm would drop, battery indicator would light up. After the belt dried up and got back its grip things would turn to normal.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 11:50   #1149
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jalgaon
Posts: 234
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

No, the battery light does not turn on. Only the check engine light turns on intermittently, with a rise-fall-rise in the RPMs. I believe it to be caused due to washing.
Swapnil4585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 23:50   #1150
BHPian
 
rahul4640's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 462
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I had a similar problem when I had got my 2006 indica serviced (and washed) a few months ago. The idling was very rough and the check engine light was intermittently on. I presume it was the wash that caused the problem as it was fine the next day onwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
I took it from him and got it washed last night and came home. Today early morning, I started the car and it started in the 1st crank. However, the check engine light was intermittently coming up and whenever I revved her up to 2000 RPM the RPM would drop to 1000, then again rise and fall. What could this be? Moisture/water problem due to washing or fuel pump going bad?
I have also something to share and beleive it will not be completely irrelevant. I have a ten year old petrol Indigo which did not start after getting a simple pressure wash. That was over a fortnight ago. Repeated efforts from me yielded no result. It was six O'clock already, hence I had to leave my car there for the evening and return home. Though I called up the Tata service center, I did not think that they were much alarmed at all. They calmly replied that the car would possibly start normally the very next morning. If not, they assured me that would send a mechanic immediately.

The next morning I went to the car washing facility, being accompanied by an car electrician. The electrician observed that current from the battery was not reaching the fuel pump located at the petrol tank. He cut a wire and made a temporary line to the fuel pump to start the car, enabling us to reach the ASC.

What was very surprising that no fault at all could be detected at the TASC. In course of his inspection, the service engineer there simply pressed a rubber cap like something located below my (the driver's) seat, which I had seen at past but did not know ever had any function. It was possibly known as "fast (or) first inertia switch". Pressing it once possibly reset the circuit and ended my problem.
rahul4640 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 16:33   #1151
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 234
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDIsamir View Post
If the glow plugs are OK then check for the Filter Assembly. The filter assembly has 2 non return valves if damaged then it is unable to maintain the fuel level in the FIP as the pump is slightly above the filter. Change the filter plate part number 9001-742A costing about Rs1020/- If this doesent solve the issue you may require to calibrate the FIP.

Regards

Samir
Samir- went to the same lucas shop you mentioned, met Mr. Rahul on 19-march. he advised and changed the filter plate @900/- odd plus 200/- labour.

i will say , it has improved, but the problem seems to have not gone away completely. in the morning , in first key turn, it starts and then stops. In 2nd or 3rd try, it starts finally with a sputter and slowly rpm normalises in 7- 10 secs and then all , everything fine.

So, the morning difficulty in starting is still there to some extent. Called up Rahul today, he is asking for a fuel line check up, and if that still does not work, then opening up of fuel pump.

pls suggest, if the diagnosis is on right track ? my doubt is, if there is a blockage or kacchhra in fuel line, what symptoms i will see ? is it matching here ?
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2015, 12:51   #1152
BHPian
 
bharatbits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 123
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

The AC in my Indica V2 DLS is behaving weird. A couple of months ago when i went on a long drive on a sunny day the AC just did not cool. There was no cooling at all. However, while returning from the drive in the night it cooled just fine.

Now, after i drive for 45 minutes or so the AC just stops cooling. The orange light on the AC button is on. I can feel the load on the engine as if the AC was on. When i turn the AC on after sometime it is fine again. This happened twice in the last two days. I think there might be some loose connection.

Experienced folks on the forum, could you please help?
bharatbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2015, 21:44   #1153
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 3,093
Thanked: 3,767 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
The AC in my Indica V2 DLS is behaving weird. A couple of months ago when i went on a long drive on a sunny day the AC just did not cool. There was no cooling at all. However, while returning from the drive in the night it cooled just fine.

Now, after i drive for 45 minutes or so the AC just stops cooling. The orange light on the AC button is on. I can feel the load on the engine as if the AC was on. When i turn the AC on after sometime it is fine again. This happened twice in the last two days. I think there might be some loose connection.

Experienced folks on the forum, could you please help?
Can you please let us know the manufacturing year of your Indica? If your car is 7-8 year old then probably the AC gas in your car might have depleted over the years. Catch hold of a good AC mechanic and get the AC gas pressure checked. If it is below the specified value then you may have to top up the gas.

I did my complete AC system overhauling after 9 years and 1,23,000 kms. The complete details can be found in my ownership thread ---> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3113346 (Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond)
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2015, 22:58   #1154
BHPian
 
bharatbits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 123
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Can you please let us know the manufacturing year of your Indica? If your car is 7-8 year old then probably the AC gas in your car might have depleted over the years. Catch hold of a good AC mechanic and get the AC gas pressure checked. If it is below the specified value then you may have to top up the gas.

I did my complete AC system overhauling after 9 years and 1,23,000 kms.
I am really impressed with the way you maintained the ownership log for your Indica.

The car is 2008 V2 DLS. Done 66666 kms since then.
Sure, i will follow your advice. However, i am a bit concerned to get the dash opened because once it's opened it just doesn't fit like the way it was before.

Thank you.
bharatbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 14:29   #1155
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 189
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
. However, i am a bit concerned to get the dash opened because once it's opened it just doesn't fit like the way it was before.
Depends on the unit in your vehicle, if it is subros then a separate box houses the cooling coil and the same can be cleaned/dismantled without opening the dashboard.

The AC servicing guy i went to was a real genius he simply cut the box with a axe saw blade The price i paid for leaving the car unattended for a couple of hours. Anyway. check the AC make, there should be sticker which says behr or subros
cyberwhizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indica Vista - list of Known problems greenhorn Technical Stuff 1421 9th October 2017 11:26
Tata Manza - List Of Problems jkdas Technical Stuff 190 20th August 2017 09:23
Tata Indica Vista- Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 2 24th June 2011 19:47
Tata Indica V2 DLS customized vs Tata Indica V2 DLX karikrishni Hatchbacks 20 12th November 2009 10:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks