Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th August 2015, 16:38   #1171
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Try out a couple of panic stops (in controlled circumstances) in dry and wet. If the tyres can handle them just fine, then it should be ok - though the chances are less.

I Recall braking on seeing a speed breaker, the wheels losing traction, and skidding half a meter or so until the wheels hit the bump and stopped. Driving around with ungrippy tyres was both dangerous and fun at the same time, but do you want to risk it?
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 18:36   #1172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
Pls suggest , if I should change it to new tyres immediately or continue? FYI - I frequently use Mumbai Pune e way with this car, twice a week. Am I risking too much ?
Well. I changed my Indica's tyres at 80k. So I don't doubt that if you take good care of the tyres, rotate them every 10k, do wheel alignment in good intervals, tyres do last 70 to 80k kms.

However, the risk is the age. Since you run Mumbai-Pine frequently and i suppose you would be close to 90+ speeds, its highly desirable to change the tyres.

As a bonus you can get tubeless tires that make it even more safer and more comfortable -,will make your ride much better than what it is today. ( I assume your current tyres are tube type).
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 23:47   #1173
BHPian

Thanks Autoindian for your concern and suggestion. Yes, I accept your advice and will change all the 4 tyres next week. This weekend I am busy till Sunday will be in Mumbai using the car with old tyres only. Hope nothing untoward happens.
Just one query, will the new tyres fit on the old rims or better to move to alloy or new tata OEM rims ? Do you suggest BStone or Michellin, there will be minor cost difference may be.

Thanks Greenhorn for your idea, I may not try that .
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 09:39   #1174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
Thanks Autoindian for your concern and suggestion. Yes, I accept your advice and will change all the 4 tyres next week. This weekend I am busy till Sunday will be in Mumbai using the car with old tyres only. Hope nothing untoward happens.
While you are still on your older tyres, my suggestion to you would be to drive very sedately and with caution. Do not overspeed and avoid urgent/ panic braking.

Quote:
Just one query, will the new tyres fit on the old rims or better to move to alloy or new tata OEM rims ? Do you suggest BStone or Michellin, there will be minor cost difference may be.
The new tyres if same size as original can fit on the OEM rims. However if you are graduating from a tubed tyre to a tubeless one, then ensure that your OEM rims do no have any bends neither any pin-holes/ rusting as this may lead to air leakage from the tubeless tyre. If you have the money then I would suggest go for good alloys. This will give a mid-life make over to your aging car and enhance its looks.

Amongst the tyre brands, considering your frequent highway running, the Michelin XM2 would be a better option compared to the Bridgestone. Not that the latter are bad but the Michelin, having softer compound offer superior grip and less road noise. But be wary of bad roads as sidewalls of Mchelin are soft and prone to damages.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 10:00   #1175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Well. I changed my Indica's tyres at 80k. So I don't doubt that if you take good care of the tyres, rotate them every 10k, do wheel alignment in good intervals, tyres do last 70 to 80k kms.

However, the risk is the age. Since you run Mumbai-Pine frequently and i suppose you would be close to 90+ speeds, its highly desirable to change the tyres.

As a bonus you can get tubeless tires that make it even more safer and more comfortable -,will make your ride much better than what it is today. ( I assume your current tyres are tube type).
Will go to the Bridgestone Dealer next week for a final detailed inspection , although I have made my mind 80% for changing 4 tyres to new tubeless types.

your case of 80K from an orignal set is awesome .

btw, my tyres age is 7 years already, so may be hardening is definitely there.
Amazing is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 11:26   #1176
rkw
BHPian

Yes, driving on e-way with your existing tyres is very risky.
I do not see any problem going with existing rims.
I would suggest you to go for tubeless (guess OEM was not) with the same specifications. In that case, you will have to put new rims if current ones have rusted or bent.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 16:49   #1177
Senior - BHPian

I had my Steering box overhauled around 15K Kms/2 years ago, and I was told that the box is leaking a few months ago, and that it needs an overhaul. Does it make sense to overhaul it again? I was quoted 8K for overhaul and 15K for replacement. As of now I've told them to replace it
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 14:16   #1178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I had my Steering box overhauled around 15K Kms/2 years ago, and I was told that the box is leaking a few months ago, and that it needs an overhaul. Does it make sense to overhaul it again? I was quoted 8K for overhaul and 15K for replacement. As of now I've told them to replace it
I believe you mean the steering rack. If its leaking oil, then the bushes are shot. If there inst much wear and tear on the rack and the pinion wheel, replacing the bushes will do. It should cost you around 2k at a good lathe shop, The rack itself is made by Rane and the whole assembly with the tie rod ends used to cost ~ 11k .
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016, 11:47   #1179
BHPian

I have a 2008 Indica V2 DLS 2008 done 78000 kms so far. The front chassis at the left that holds the left wheel, lower arm, bush, shoulder, joint etc has rusted and needs to be replaced. My mechanic gave me an estimate of around 15k for the job which includes 5k for for the chassis, 5k for welding and the rest for labour and misc expenses.

Another problem which he tells is engine backfiring to which the solution is complete engine overhaul that would cost around 40k. I can put the engine overhaul on hold for a year at the most.

I am already in the market looking for a reliable diesel car for the family in the 4.5 to 7.5 lakh bracket. In this backdrop do you advise me to retain the car, repair and use it as a second backup car or sell it? I wonder how people do 1.5 to 2 lakh kms on Indicas easily when mine is incurring so much expense.

Even if i get it repaired at the above price (40k + 15k = 55k) the question is will it serve me reliably for atleast until 1.5 lakh kms especially since it's going to touch 1 lakh kms and 10 years soon or will i have to shell out more on alternator, starter motor etc? Will the expenses keep mounting like this?

Look forward to your suggestions and also recommendations for the new car.
Thank you.
bharatbits is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016, 12:58   #1180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Look forward to your suggestions and also recommendations for the new car. Thank you.
Bharatbits, you are in the classic "catch-22" or "To be or not to be" situation, if I may use those phrases. Each one of us pass through this phase one time or the other. Since I previously owned an Indica, I am sharing my experience and recommendations below, which I think will be more relevant for you.

Quote:
I have a 2008 Indica V2 DLS 2008 done 78000 kms so far. The front chassis at the left that holds the left wheel, lower arm, bush, shoulder, joint etc has rusted and needs to be replaced. My mechanic gave me an estimate of around 15k for the job which includes 5k for for the chassis, 5k for welding and the rest for labour and misc expenses.
I think in most of the cars of this age and running the underbody would invariably rust at some places of the other. My question is, is this rust impacting the structure, suspension or the wheels? If not you may want to take a second opinion.

Quote:
Another problem which he tells is engine backfiring to which the solution is complete engine overhaul that would cost around 40k. I can put the engine overhaul on hold for a year at the most.
I didn't get this. Are you facing any issue while driving the car, I mean any power loss, misfiring etc. If not what made him conclude that the solution is complete engine overhaul. Given the car has run just 78K, it should not need engine overhaul, if it has not been starved of engine oil or coolant etc.

Quote:
I am already in the market looking for a reliable diesel car for the family in the 4.5 to 7.5 lakh bracket. In this backdrop do you advise me to retain the car, repair and use it as a second backup car or sell it? I wonder how people do 1.5 to 2 lakh kms on Indicas easily when mine is incurring so much expense.
Usually after 5 years or 60K kms, the maintenance expenses start increasing gradually and then after 8 years or 100K kms they increase exponentially. This I am sharing from my own experience. Look at my Indica's maintenance graph below. Post the 50K kms, you can clearly see the huge spikes at every 10K kms oil change service.

Tata Indica - List of problems-maintenance-expense-graph.jpg

Quote:
Even if i get it repaired at the above price (40k + 15k = 55k) the question is will it serve me reliably for atleast until 1.5 lakh kms especially since it's going to touch 1 lakh kms and 10 years soon or will i have to shell out more on alternator, starter motor etc? Will the expenses keep mounting like this?
If you want to retain your car you will have to be prepared for incurring more expenses at each scheduled service on regular maintenance. Besides this as you have mentioned above you will also have to make provisions for alternator, starter motor, Fuel Injection Pump, suspension repairs.

My recommendations:
  1. Since the car has already completed 8 years (78K) and if you have the have the capacity to plonk 4.5 to 7.5 lakhs on a new car, go for a new car straightaway. No point in restoring this aging workhorse.
  2. If you are the lone person in your house driving the car, then no point in retaining this car once you buy a new one. When I bought my pre-worshipped Innova, I had retained my Indica. Three months into driving Innova, I didn't touch my Indica even once and it was gathering dust on the road. Better sense prevailed and I sold it off after three months.
  3. You can get large hatchbacks or compact sedans in your budget (or may be slightly higher.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016, 13:21   #1181
BHPian

I got the front suspension changed at 63000 kms. I got the Fuel Injection pump serviced 15 days ago as the bearing had gone. I am fine spending marginally higher in every 10k service but i do not want to get stranded in the city or on the highways with family or friends. The last 4 to 5 times the car had stranded it was mostly me alone in the car and hence i managed to get it towed and repaired. The family cannot take this trouble. Nor do i want to face the embarrassment in front of friends or relatives. Now the car also does not inspire confidence to do a Hyd Bangalore trip or a Hyd Vijayawada trip.

I was also inclined towards selling the Indica however, i just needed some validation that i was taking the right decision. When i casually asked few evaluators to value the car they also reported engine has started to backfire. On high revving they say the engine oil droplets are coming out with the dip stick removed which i could not see. However, i see few engine oil drops right under the dip stick area under the car in my parking everyday.

If expenses are going to mount like this i will be well off selling this car. We are 2 people who drive the car in the family. If i sell this even with the new car we would need another car in the family in the coming months as and when finances permit.
bharatbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016, 15:05   #1182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got the front suspension changed at 63000 kms. I got the Fuel Injection pump serviced 15 days ago as the bearing had gone. I am fine spending marginally higher in every 10k service but i do not want to get stranded in the city or on the highways with family or friends. The last 4 to 5 times the car had stranded it was mostly me alone in the car and hence i managed to get it towed and repaired. The family cannot take this trouble. Nor do i want to face the embarrassment in front of friends or relatives. Now the car also does not inspire confidence to do a Hyd Bangalore trip or a Hyd Vijayawada trip.
It seems quite a lot of unscheduled maintenance work has already been done on the car. Feel sorry for you that you were stranded on the road a couple of times. I was fortunate enough not to get stranded in my 1.5 lacs (10.5 years) ownership experience (touchwood). No doubt it would be better for you to sell off the car.

Quote:
I was also inclined towards selling the Indica however, i just needed some validation that i was taking the right decision. When i casually asked few evaluators to value the car they also reported engine has started to backfire. On high revving they say the engine oil droplets are coming out with the dip stick removed which i could not see. However, i see few engine oil drops right under the dip stick area under the car in my parking everyday.
OK, now I got it what you meant by backfire. It is actually loss of compression. Due to wear and tear the piston rings loose the tolerances and the clearance between the ring's outer surface the cylinder lining increases. So when the combustion stroke happens, the burnt gases find their way through the clearance into the oil sump and force out some oil through the oil dip stick. That is the reason you can see some oil drops coming out from the dip stick. This is nothing but loss of compression.

Quote:
If expenses are going to mount like this i will be well off selling this car. We are 2 people who drive the car in the family. If i sell this even with the new car we would need another car in the family in the coming months as and when finances permit.
If that is the case then I would suggest, get a new car asap (preferably a bigger one). Retain the Indica for some time (just as a beater or spare car). Then go for a small car (Nano/Alto/Kwid etc) in exchange of your Indica.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016, 16:56   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
I got the front suspension changed at 63000 kms. I got the Fuel Injection pump serviced 15 days ago as the bearing had gone.

On high revving they say the engine oil droplets are coming out with the dip stick removed which i could not see. However, i see few engine oil drops right under the dip stick area under the car in my parking everyday.

You will be fine by replacing the piston rings, may be the head gasket as a preventive maintenance as well. But that is no way a 40,000/- job. At 78,000 kilometers, you are also nearing a Timing kit (+ water pump) replacement exercise. This entire job, at the maximum, should set you back by 18-20 grands. I believe that the DLS is a turbocharged car (may be wrong though). It will be a good idea to have the turbo generally inspected too. A backfire is caused by more than one reason. It may be because the A/F ratio is resulting in a rich mixture (less air, more fuel) in the cylinder (which points to the pump), or worn out glow plugs or adulterated fuel, etc. An engine overhaul to the tune of Rs 40,000/- is not the answer to backfiring problem.

You have serviced the fuel injection pump at 63,000 kilometers. In agreement with AutoIndian, I too find this service untimely. For the record, I never had to look at my Indigo's pump for her entire life (8 years, 1.3~ lac kilometers). You may consider cleaning the fuel tank and lines of your car as a preventive maintenance once a year.

The pain points of an Indica and Indigo are:
- Alternator / Starter motor.
- Suspension components.
- Oil consumption in minute quantities, enough to warrant a top up in between an oil change interval.
- Engine mounts.

The power steering pump by Rane, clutch are another major components that may need attention in the near future.

All in all, if I were you, I would have opted to sell the car and go for a Bolt diesel, not because the maintenance is costly or annoying, but because the availability of parts is scarce and selling will be an exercise.

Last edited by Swapnil4585 : 30th January 2016 at 16:58.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016, 17:41   #1184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
If that is the case then I would suggest, get a new car asap (preferably a bigger one). Retain the Indica for some time (just as a beater or spare car). Then go for a small car (Nano/Alto/Kwid etc) in exchange of your Indica.
I got the AC overhauled recently at Subros authorised service centre. Had to change the compressor etc. The AC works great now and gets quite chilled even at speed 1 in the nights. The suspension was changed at 63000 kms. I think that was the result of a Hyd Vijayawada trip with more than max load. Ofcourse, the six lane highway is a very good one so i took chances and that resulted in it. I changed the water pump a couple of months ago as it had rusted and the level of coolant was decreasing after every 6 to 8 kms. Found the rusted water pump that had holes in it to be the culprit. The radiator fan motor went kaput recently as the bearing had gone and i changed the fan motor. Diesel started leaking and found the oil seal in the fuel pump was gone. Then the bearing in the drive shaft of the fuel pump also had gone which resulted in a lot of noise. Got that done recently.

All the above was unscheduled maintenance. Not sure what all i will have to spend on in the coming days. That's my concern.

For now, i have decided on the Fiat Linea Classic. Let's see what deals they can offer me. I am fine with another Indica after i sell this Indica in a few months.
bharatbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016, 17:51   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
All in all, if I were you, I would have opted to sell the car and go for a Bolt diesel, not because the maintenance is costly or annoying, but because the availability of parts is scarce and selling will be an exercise.

Thanks for validating my decision of selling the car. Lot of money and time is getting wasted in the process and the car is not going to get any better. It's only going to worsen with time.

10k for the front suspension
15k for the AC
8k fuel pump
4k minor denting and paint work of bumpers
1k water pump
1k cam actuator
6k for two new MRF tyres

All the above in the last six months.I can't take it any more.

In addition to the Fiat Linea Classic we need a small diesel car as dad says he might find it difficult to drive around in the Linea everyday. Cheapest of the lot seems Indica. Will even look at the Zica and the Celerio. But, they are too small and we are a family of six footers. Ofcourse, there's time for that.
bharatbits is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote