Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th January 2016, 19:17   #1186
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Indica - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Thanks for validating my decision of selling the car. Lot of money and time is getting wasted in the process and the car is not going to get any better. It's only going to worsen with time.
After reading all your posts, I come to the conclusion that your Indica was a semi-lemon like experience.

It would be better to sell off the car and settle for a Bolt
Swapnil4585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016, 20:04   #1187
BHPian

Hi bharatbits, if its the Indica that you intend to upgrade to, again, suggest you check its eV2 version. The CR4 engine is good and peppy to drive around, requiring little throttle inputs to accelerate.
We upgraded from a pre-V2 Indica to the eCS VX over 2 years, and happy with the car. Not a jazzy car but practical to own. Bottle holders in front door pockets, chilled glovebox and bluetooth audio add to the convenience factor ;-)
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016, 20:17   #1188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for validating my decision of selling the car. Lot of money and time is getting wasted in the process and the car is not going to get any better. It's only going to worsen with time.

10k for the front suspension
15k for the AC
8k fuel pump
4k minor denting and paint work of bumpers
1k water pump
1k cam actuator
6k for two new MRF tyres

All the above in the last six months.I can't take it any more.
So that is 45K in the last six months. I am very sure that you might not have spent that much amount even in the first six years of the car's ownership. So my thoughts that maintenance expenses increase exponentially (for the Indica) after certain age/ running has been validated by this. Better sell it off at the first opportunity.

Quote:
In addition to the Fiat Linea Classic we need a small diesel car as dad says he might find it difficult to drive around in the Linea everyday. Cheapest of the lot seems Indica. Will even look at the Zica and the Celerio. But, they are too small and we are a family of six footers. Ofcourse, there's time for that.
If the small car is going to be used for city runabouts, why don't you go for a Nano AMT. From the feedback from owners it seems Nano is quite comfortable for tall people, even for 6 footers. The small footprint of the Nano combined with the AMT would be a boon for your Dad (just my thoughts)
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 14:11   #1189
BHPian

Here is the rusting of the chassis - can anything be done about this?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Indica - List of problems-img_20160205_133151869.jpg  

bharatbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 20:29   #1190
Senior - BHPian

i had similar rust - not sure if it is the exact same spot - The front subchassis was cut away and a new one welded in place. Cost came to about 25K. Not sure about structural integrity etc, but my car is fully functional
Images & bill here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...g-20-a-24.html
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 08:51   #1191
BHPian

I have decided on selling the car. I feel it's not prudent anymore to spend time or money on a car that's deteriorating fast in condition and value.
bharatbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 11:34   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have decided on selling the car. I feel it's not prudent anymore to spend time or money on a car that's deteriorating fast in condition and value.
I think that is a very good decision. I know you would have taken this decision with a heavy heart, but sometimes we have to let the things go from our life, however much we love them. I can guarantee that once you sell it off, you would feel much relieved as if some burden is off your shoulders. Also unless we get rid of old things, new things cannot come in out life.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 08:15   #1193
Senior - BHPian

my indica, when the engine fans run at full speed, the rpm drops and the car is a bit difficult to control, needing a lot of clutching to manage slightly higher loads ( moving around at <10kmph speeds in 2nd, turning at full lock) which it didnt have any issues handling before. the idle rpm changes from around 850 to 950 when the ac is turned on, so the workshop says everything is normal

I suspect this is a ficd issue. any pointers?

EDIT: pretty much the same as this guy
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-turbo-v2.html (How to adjust idling of indica turbo V2)
how to identify the FICD and the screws he's talking about? not able to find the posts on TIUG

Last edited by greenhorn : 23rd February 2016 at 08:16.
Old 23rd February 2016, 08:44   #1194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
my indica, when the engine fans run at full speed, the rpm drops and the car is a bit difficult to control, needing a lot of clutching to manage slightly higher loads ( moving around at <10kmph speeds in 2nd, turning at full lock) which it didnt have any issues handling before. the idle rpm changes from around 850 to 950 when the ac is turned on, so the workshop says everything is normal

I suspect this is a ficd issue. any pointers?

EDIT: pretty much the same as this guy
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-turbo-v2.html (How to adjust idling of indica turbo V2)
how to identify the FICD and the screws he's talking about? not able to find the posts on TIUG

You mean to say there is a drop in idling RPM when the an starts and with AC off. If this is so then i think your FIP needs calibration. There is part called Blade & Liner inside the FIP which sucks the diesel from the tank and supplies it to the Head & Rotor inside the pump for distribution. Now if the blade and liner is worn out the suction pressure drops at low RPM which causes the drop in RPM at low or idling speeds.

I also think you might e experiencing some dead travel in the accelerator. I mean when you press the accelerator pedal the engine RPM does not raise immediately. there is a gap.

Also try and turn the steering end to end and see if this also has rpm drop and if the engine stalls at the end point.

If the engine rpm rises from 850 to 950 when the ac is on then the ficd seems to be ok

Regards

Samir
CRDIsamir is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 09:05   #1195
Senior - BHPian

the drop with the fan on is with the ac on. I am not sure about things with the ac off as I never drive with the ac off - can try that for troubleshooting.
I am facing some jerking at lower RPM's - especially in 2nd/3rd gears at low rpm's
mild rpm fluctuations with the ac on at cold start.
Have not noticed any dead travel in the accelerator - can check carefully again
will check on rpm drop at full lock.

I sincerely hope its not the FIP - if it is, then it will be the 3rd time it is overhauled in 8 years

1st in 2009 or thereabouts when it was recommended when i complained that my top speed had dropped (the overhaul made no difference)
2nd in 2013 when there was jerking during acceleration & the rotor was worn out

I had taken it to Tvs lucas for FIP overhaul over the past year due to this jerking and check engine light for injector related issues, and every time they did something else, and said they wanted to do the FIP overhaul as the last resort, and make sure it was not something else.

in the past year, the power steering box was replaced due to leaking , alternator was overhauled (as the tacho was dying at low rpm) , and the vacuum solenoid was changed due to check engine light

Last edited by greenhorn : 23rd February 2016 at 09:18.
Old 23rd February 2016, 09:34   #1196
BHPian

If you are facing the jerking problem while accelerating in 2nd and 3rd gear this can be a issue with FIP.

Does your vehicle emit black smoke on full acceleration ? If not then you can address the jerking problem by adjusting the fuel delivery of the pump.

Also let me know if there is a gap when you press the accelerator. Try doing this by opening the bonnet and operating the acc. lever on the FIP

Regarding the Check Engine light. One related to the NLS injector ie the No. 4 injector (with wire), two the cam valve on the pump three the crank sensor fourth the potentiometer (the black thing on the acc lever). The other very important thing is the wiring on the vehicle which causes lot of problems with the CE light.

Check for the coating of the wires that come out of the NLS sensor and the Cam valve. Many times the coating goes off and the wires touch causing signal loss to the ECU momentarily. In such cases you have to replace the particular sensor. Remove the Crank sensor and inspect for damage and carbon deposit and clean it.

If possible replace the above sensors from another vehicle. This can be done by any mechanic and does not require any special setting of equipment. If this does not solve the problem then it is only the wiring which remains to be checked. Again it is very difficult to diagnose the problem because the fault is momentary and is not permanent.

Regards

Samir

Last edited by CRDIsamir : 23rd February 2016 at 09:48.
CRDIsamir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 11:01   #1197
Senior - BHPian

a few checks while on the way to work
1. the jerking is there even at high rpms - especially when you take the foot off the accelerator suddenly after hard acceleration ( i floored it in 3rd till 3000 rpm, then took my foot off, and the vehicle jerked for a while before returning to normal) - this jerking is becoming a serious issue as it makes my wife very carsick and uncomfortable. The bosch service center i took it to said this was normal. Let me check it with the lucas tvs folks - though i suppose it will have to wait. Have blown 40K already this year in repairs
2. no dead zone in accelerator - even a slight push gives a response
3. I don't have a check engine light issue - was just mentioning any relevant service history
4. couldnt observe any black smoke while driving. will try with car stopped and someone else driving

Last edited by greenhorn : 23rd February 2016 at 11:03.
Old 23rd February 2016, 11:15   #1198
BHPian

The jerking are of two types one when you accelerate especially in 2nd and 3rd gear and the when when you release the accelerator. The first type ie when you accelerate can be addressed by adjusting the fuel delivery on the fip as I mentioned earlier. The second when you release the accelerator just as the rpm reaches the idling the vehicle jerks 4 5 times and becomes stable can be caused by incorrect anti stall setting on the pump or due to issues in the power transmission.

If possible fit another pump from some other vehicle which is usually available with your friendly mechanic and confirm as this conditions cannot be created on a fip test bench

Regards

Samir
CRDIsamir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2016, 13:58   #1199
BHPian

Smile Indica LEi under dashboard fusebox diagram

Hello, can anyone post a picture of Tata Indica lei under dashboard fusebox diagram here? It will be very helpful. By the way I am looking for the ac blower fuse location. Its not turning on but the wires of the blower get hot after turning on the AC fan switch. Thanks in advance.
shaheenazk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2016, 16:35   #1200
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Indica LEi under dashboard fusebox diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
Hello, can anyone post a picture of Tata Indica lei under dashboard fusebox diagram here? It will be very helpful. By the way I am looking for the ac blower fuse location. Its not turning on but the wires of the blower get hot after turning on the AC fan switch. Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure which of these 2 diagrams are the correct one for an Indica Lei, I think its the first one.
Tata Indica - List of problems-indica-fuse-box-1.jpg
Tata Indica - List of problems-indica-fuse-box-2.jpg

Also, bear in mind that the Indica Owner's Manuals are available from Tata online, and these contain the fuse box layouts.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote