Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd July 2010, 22:24   #16
BHPian

Even my cousin was quoted 3.5 k for brake pads by MASS. He has a VDI and the when the car was given for serviice it had done 35000 kms. So the duration is almost same for all swift owners.
I told him to put TVS gurling pads which costed Rs. 750. So so you guys suggest that these are not up to the mark?
rikhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 19:18   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The Rs. 660 brake pads are fake or local pads if you want to call them that. A friend of mine put similar pads on his Swift and they did not even last 5k kms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Rs.660 brake pads are certainly cheap brand in aftermarket, its not only bad for discs but also a life threatening risk to drive with such non-reliable pads.

One can always go for Bosch Brake pads, they are certainly one of the best in industry and gives very good braking.

I've them in my santro although H.A.S.S. said they are not good OEM ones are best.
I lam sure Bosch pads should not been so hated by A.S.S.

Edit: my Bosch Brake Pads Pics in this thread (Improving your car's brakes: Options and costs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
Even my cousin was quoted 3.5 k for brake pads by MASS. He has a VDI and the when the car was given for serviice it had done 35000 kms. So the duration is almost same for all swift owners.
I told him to put TVS gurling pads which costed Rs. 750. So so you guys suggest that these are not up to the mark?
I second this on my indica I had fitted TVS pads and they lasted for about 45K in similar price there was another brand which was cheaper and deler was saying those are original on Tata indica dont remember now..... so you cant say break pads are not original and good in 600- 800 rs range......
lalitk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 19:20   #18
BHPian

ONe more question normally major parts for maruti are available in aftermarket so which comapny is making original pads for maruti if that is known then we can try for its price in aftermarket.......
Old 5th July 2010, 00:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalit
which comapny is making original pads for maruti
TVS Girling, AFAIK .
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 13:15   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
TVS Girling, AFAIK .
TVS break pads are available in roughly 700-740 everywhere in aftermarket..... so if there is no difference in MASS pads and aftermarket then they are really worth the money in normal market........
Old 6th July 2010, 14:07   #21
BHPian

My Swift has roughly done 125000 kms and MASS would always recommend changes at 10k which is too early. The price is around 3k for diesel set. Now i service my car from Carnation. They asked me to get them changed at 30k not before but honestly i do feel lack of braking power around 20k. Moreover i have tried TVS ones too. They are not of same quality and wear out fast around 10k

Last edited by Piyush_Vroom : 6th July 2010 at 14:09.
Piyush_Vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 14:46   #22
BHPian

10K is defintely early and I would say you must be a spirited driver otherwise 20K is also early on my indica TVS pads lasted 40-45K and on my swift the OEM pads lasted 29K it had punch left for another 5K but my father got it changed..... and on my civic OEm Pads are still going strong for at least 10K

Last edited by lalitk25 : 6th July 2010 at 14:47.
Old 17th August 2010, 18:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
10K is defintely early and I would say you must be a spirited driver otherwise 20K is also early on my indica TVS pads lasted 40-45K and on my swift the OEM pads lasted 29K it had punch left for another 5K but my father got it changed..... and on my civic OEm Pads are still going strong for at least 10K
I am a spirited driver but Brake pads on my Santro and Indica easily did 40K without being changed.

Moreover i have diesel Swift. Do you also have the same as More kerb weight also plays a part..
Piyush_Vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 18:36   #24
BHPian

My SwifDy is on the verge of completing 50K kms and still running on the original pads.
Rocky_Balboa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 11:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Brake pad and discs get worn out earlier than normal due to constant heavy braking. I remember that I once had to come to a screeching halt and kept my brake pedal pressed for a minute or so while recovering from the shock which led to my brake discs getting warped. I realised this only later during high speed drives where I used to feel the car shudder a bit during braking due to the warped discs. But this uneven braking also led to the brake pads getting worn out prematurely. My car had done only 35k kms at that time. I got the brake discs and pads changed and there is no issue till date. So even a single incident can lead to a certain part of the car getting worn out earlier than normal.

Also, with regards to the Swift clutch; I am still using the original clutch on my 2005 Swift Vxi. Car has covered 53k kms till date.

Last edited by Epic : 18th August 2010 at 11:53.
Epic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 15:07   #26
BHPian

Brake pads are not changed simply based on kilometers run , but on the actual wear. My swift VDI needed its first replacement of the brake pads at 75000 Km as my drive is mostly on open roads with minimal traffic. I am told that the average city user can expect the brake pads to be replaced every 25-30 K Km though with appropriate driving styles one can extend it by quite a few additional thosands of kilometers as some of the forum members have. A life of 10000 Km should be considered as way below the average.
adnaps is offline   Reply With Quote