Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd November 2007, 09:15   #1
BHPian

Default Engine Noise in my Santro 2001

hi,

I have santro june 2001 model. The engine is not silent. It makes some sort of noise. Although it is not at all weird & very loud, and Huyndai ASC confirmed that there is not problem at all and engine is absolutely fine. My ODO reads 42K.

H'ever I have seen Santros older than mine making very less or no sound at all when thet pass by me. LocaL mechnic says the sound it of belts, and one should not be bother about it, as it is quite common.

Guys, I need your advice on this. I really want to have a silent engine, please guide on how to achieve it.

Please advice. Thank you
Aashutosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 12:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Extract the service records from the service centre and see if all routine relacements were done. If not you can do it now, if yes, nothing more can be done.

The engine noise depends on prior usage and how it was handled/ maintained.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 12:50   #3
BHPian

I too had this problem with my 2001 Santro. I checked with the dealers and they said its normal. However it has improved drastically after I moved to Shell for fuel and engine oil.
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 13:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

I can also suggest an STP engine flush, if not done already, it smoothens the car drastically.
Old 24th November 2007, 09:10   #5
BHPian

Default Engine sound in my santro 2001

dadu, cost for STP engine flush? how long does it take really? Also currently I am using speed as my fuel, shall I try switching to shell, which is expcted to improve engine sound?
Old 24th November 2007, 22:07   #6
BHPian

STP flush is available at an MRP of Rs 210/- and usually sold for Rs.190/-.

Flushing does not take much time, However since the engine is now 42 K old and perhaps never been flushed before, check out the condition before use. Since you may risk the Oil seals which will now become clean of any carbon covering and might induce Leakage if they were weak or defective. But I don't think it might be the case if you have maintained the car service schedules.

You need to run the engine in Idle mode for the first few minutes till the Ideal Temp is reached.Then shut off and add the STP flush from the Engine Oil Filler Cap. Start and Run the engine for 10 Min, Do rev up the RPM to 2000-3000 From Idle RPM once or twice keeping it constant for 2 min or so. Then Let the engine Idle again and turn off the ignition, and Drain the Oil immediately.

Replace with new oil and filter, And a much improved engine is available at your use.

You can choose Castrol Magnatec for good performance and quiter engine. If your pockets run deep then Mobil 1 or Shell Synthetic Oil is for you.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 24th November 2007 at 22:13.
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2007, 13:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Like wolf described, flush might help(it did for me), speed fuel is anyways better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashutosh View Post
dadu, cost for STP engine flush? how long does it take really? Also currently I am using speed as my fuel, shall I try switching to shell, which is expcted to improve engine sound?
Old 26th November 2007, 11:31   #8
BHPian

Thank you guys for quick responce. I will surely work on this and give my feedback. Thanks again.