Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd November 2007, 19:13   #1
BHPian

Default Shocking Diagnosis By Tata Service Station

Hi friends, just wanted to bring to this forums notice a really wrong diagnosis!!

my indica turbo dlx (2006), suffered a major prob a fortnite back. car refused to get into 1st gear when in motion. i.e. when car is standstill it could go into 1st gear, but say when in traffic if u want to shift from 2nd to 1st, it refused to go! as i am from mumbai ( we all know metropolitan rush),so i went to tata service station very next day to get it checked.

meanwhile, i put the same query on team bhp forum, and got few tips too.. thankyou guys!

i told service station guys, i had no problem with clutch watsoever, and asked them to check the bush...i left vehicle with them. next day i get a call , saying, clutch plates are the culprit. i got a shock, insisted to them that i had no prob with cluctch( not even simple play)!

they told me that , at 40,000 km clutch wears out.. its common! so the remedy is to change clutchplate, pressure plates with bearing.. i gave a nod as i had no choice. the bill is as shown below.

i got my car after 4 days... and the problem persisted! . so i went back and made him go under the hood uner my vigilance. after 100s and 1000s of consultations... they found out that the culprit was gear box.
ISNT IS OBVIOUS,IF THE CLUTCH IS FINE, GEAR BOX NEEDS TO BE CHECKED "! . if a lay man like me can understand.. why cant these trained ones!
1st gear synchoniser was broken.. would u believe it! and he could not get that.. it was pretty obvious!

to my utter disgust.. he kept me waiting for another 3 days to change the part. ( IT WAS NOT AVAILABLE AT SERVICE STATION )!

THE BILL CAME OUT IS ALSO SHOWN BELOW

SHOCKING EXPERIENCE!

Note from mod: Do not use more than 2 smileys per post

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th November 2007 at 09:19.
khadoos baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2007, 00:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khadoos baby View Post

ISNT IS OBVIOUS,IF THE CLUTCH IS FINE, GEAR BOX NEEDS TO BE CHECKED "! . if a lay man like me can understand.. why cant these trained ones!

to my utter disgust.. he kept me waiting for another 3 days to change the part. ( IT WAS NOT AVAILABLE AT SERVICE STATION)!
Welcome to India .

Did they manage to finally fix the problem or you are still back at square one?

OT : Go a little easy on the smilies . Wait till the mod's intervene .
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2007, 00:58   #3
BHPian

My first thought was "synchro". But I can imagine that a typical tendency would be to blame the clutch. Though, if the clutch fork is working properly and separates the pressure plate from the friction disc completely, it can't be a clutch problem. So at most, if its a clutch problem, it would be that the pressure plate is not separating from the friction disc. that would mean checking the clutch release bearing (throw out bearing), the clutch fork, the clutch slave and master cylinder if it is a hydraulic clutch. If all those are ok, then difficult shifting into 1st cannot be a clutch disc problem.

But then car mechanics can be crooked anywhere in the world. They can be brilliant, or they can be twisted like a jalebi.

As they say, Caveat Emptor. Buyer Beware.
Harbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2007, 03:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

How much did the bill come to?
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2007, 05:07   #5
BHPian

Ask them for a refund. You probably won't get it, but try it. Also consult someone on the feasibility of taking up your issue in consumer court.
vebmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2007, 07:57   #6
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Thats nothing compared to Junkindica Diagnosis.

I am sure what you have stated is common place in all TATA service centers.
What I am about to tell you is still in the consumer court and the next hearing is on the 26th of November 2007. When the TATA mechanics representative lawyer was asked by the judge as to why the car cannot climb North Overbridge in Cochin; pat came the reply " Your honour its because the car was not designed to climb the gradient of North Over Bridge at rated payload". I won that round.

I won that round in the District forum but they took a stay order from the State Forum of which the first hearing is next week after a gap of 1 and 3/4 years. Long wait for the first hearing don't you think but thats how our courts function. The original case was filed in 2001. The funny thing is that the TATA's think I would get infuriated by the inordinate delay but actually I intended to keep the Junkindica for 10 YEARS to drive as a battering ram on our city roads.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2007, 09:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Welcome to India .

Did they manage to finally fix the problem or you are still back at square one?

OT : Go a little easy on the smilies . Wait till the mod's intervene .
well.. they did manage to fix the problem! and i am overjoyed about it!
but now the problem is.. because they fiddled with clutch ie. new fitting and then again reverting back to the old one, it has become quite different in its feel.it feels like i am driving a new car and not my car,i hope yougetting what i mean to say
Old 24th November 2007, 09:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
How much did the bill come to?
my inital bill for clutch replacment was rs.5750/-

then they reverted it back and for gear box the final bill was 6100/-

and i will tell you what they said--

" as the billing procedure is all automated, we cannot revert the bill (refund),as once part is sold company doesnt allow replacement, so he had to take that much amount from me, plus he put diesel for trials as he kept car for almost 10 days!
Old 24th November 2007, 09:23   #9
Team-BHP Support

So they replaced your clutch which was fine. In other words they replaced a working part?
And you are clapping happily on that?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2007, 09:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So they replaced your clutch which was fine. In other words they replaced a working part?
And you are clapping happily on that?
they replaced the older one back as they found out that it had no fault! so i am overjoyed as atleast they figured this one out!
Old 24th November 2007, 09:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
Ask them for a refund. You probably won't get it, but try it. Also consult someone on the feasibility of taking up your issue in consumer court.

that is what i planning to do bro.!

in the meantime , i am posting pics

this was the initial bill...

now pic 2 is final bill

Old 24th November 2007, 09:55   #12
BHPian

Default pics of the culprit!

guys, these are the pics of the real culprit!!!

check it out.. its worth... i am puzzled as to how this happens!

Old 24th November 2007, 09:58   #13
BHPian

those tatas even tried to fool me by stating that , though the problem was of gear box ,but still clutch assembly needs replacement! this was so that they need not revert /refund my amount!

thanks to BHP forum that i have gained enough knowledge as to not to get fooled by TATA MECHANICS atleast!
Old 24th November 2007, 10:05   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I am sure what you have stated is common place in all TATA service centers.
What I am about to tell you is still in the consumer court and the next hearing is on the 26th of November 2007. When the TATA mechanics representative lawyer was asked by the judge as to why the car cannot climb North Overbridge in Cochin; pat came the reply " Your honour its because the car was not designed to climb the gradient of North Over Bridge at rated payload". I won that round.

I won that round in the District forum but they took a stay order from the State Forum of which the first hearing is next week after a gap of 1 and 3/4 years. Long wait for the first hearing don't you think but thats how our courts function. The original case was filed in 2001. The funny thing is that the TATA's think I would get infuriated by the inordinate delay but actually I intended to keep the Junkindica for 10 YEARS to drive as a battering ram on our city roads.
great going mate! even i am thinking of joining! i had enough of these guys! i had so many problems with them, once i had problem with central locking and they gave me estimate of 5 grands, only to find out after 2 days that they had thoroughly serviced my car without taking care of fault! THAT TIME MISTAKE WAS ' WRONG ENTRY IN JOB CARD'!

BUT I HAD ENOUGH OF THIS NOW! INSTIGATE ME MORE GUYS AND I AM GOING TO COURT!
Old 24th November 2007, 10:12   #15
BHPian

If your car is just one year old, shouldn't all this be covered under warranty ?
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote