Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th March 2017, 17:21   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Engine Coolant Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Distilled water by definition should have a pH of 7.0 neither acidic nor basic.I guess 6.5 to 7.5 or so will still qualify it as neutral
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
That's precisely what we are referring to as VERY mildly acidic water which is better used for battery top ups than other purposes.
What would I have done without team-bhp!

Having exhausted my stock, today I bought a bottle of distilled water from one of my usual shops. The composition, as indicated on the label, is as follows:

PH - 7.5 to 9
Electrical Conductivity - <10us/cm
TDS - <2ppm

Not really suitable for use as/with coolant.

I have been guilty of adding this very liquid to top up my coolant reservoir in the past .

On enquiry, I was informed that all brands/variants of distilled water available in this and other shops are all of the same composition.

The search for the elusive neutral liquid continues .
dailydriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2017, 17:53   #62
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Engine Coolant Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
PH - 7.5 to 9
Electrical Conductivity - <10us/cm
TDS - <2ppm

Not really suitable for use as/with coolant.
Good grief! If that label's information is to be believed a pH rating of between 7.5-9 gives you water errr..a solution that is a mild to strong alkali! In which case forget about using it as a coolant but how can you use it in a battery when it will work on neutralising the acid?!

This is the opposite of what I expected at the liquid being mildly acidic.

But seriously, this goes to show just stay away from bottled battery water for top ups. Clean filtered tap water is much safer. Or shift to a premixed coolant + DW solution.

BTW if you want pure DW please contact a lab supplier in your city.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote