Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th November 2007, 14:22   #1
Default Santro question

I am not sure if this is the right section to ask this question, so moderators, please help relocate this thread as deemed fit.

I own a 2004 model Santro that runs very little (mostly city cycle) since i am mostly to be found commuting long distances on my motorcycle. The car has been everything i wanted it to be, which is a roomy VFM small car.

One niggle i noticed straight away was that if i let the car creep along in second on idle (useful when negotiating the oft encountered martian landscapes in bangalore), having the AC on caused the idle RPM to hunt. The engine would snatch very briefly, then it would climb up slightly and ease off slowly. This would continue as long as the AC was on. I did ask the A.S.S folks and the chap mentioned that was normal. I am not much of a car person so i assumed it was because the ECU wasn't compensating for the load of the compressor appropriately and left it at that. I would turn off the AC if i needed to creep along in second.

Aside of the standard hyundai autocop kit including all round power windows and a Pioneer single CD+Tuner head unit with some mismatched speakers, my car is box stock.

Three years down the line, this has remained the same. Last week however, i had reason to leave the car unused for a week and then when i got back in it, i am seeing a new version of the problem. The engine has started to do the same snatching when i use just enough throttle to maintain the current speed in third gear. I initially thought i was using the wrong gear. But repetition has proved otherwise. Lacking a tacho, i can only tell you that my ear-tacho tells me i was definitely in the right gear. Since the car seems to be perfect otherwise, i am hesitant to take it to the A.S.S. without atleast an inkling of where i should focus their diagnostics. Any ideas?

P.S. : Anybody has a workshop manual for this car i can get a copy of?
ajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 23:03   #2

Try cleaning,The Speed Sensor and Throttle,solves most of the RPM issues,low pickup. It won't be a bad investment to install a good Tacho.
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 07:41   #3

Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Try cleaning,The Speed Sensor and Throttle,solves most of the RPM issues,low pickup. It won't be a bad investment to install a good Tacho.
Also get the sparks & air-filter checked/cleaned, along with the above.
1self is offline   Reply With Quote