Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th November 2007, 12:01   #1

Question Starting problems Indica DLG

My is an Indica DLG 2005 March Model 41K done. The engine was decarbonised at 30K serviced and then the cold start problem. Glow plugs were replaced still problem continued. Cleaned the tank and fuel line and also checked the pump connections filters etc. (Pump not opened) Once started in the morning if I do not stop for long (1 to 2 hours) restarting is not a problem. If I manually pump the fuel pump it starts without any trouble. I have taken this to 3 service centres (Concorde, Manipal and Prerana). Prerana replaced all Glow plugs for INR 1600 but starting problem continues all of them are of no use do not know any thing of the vehicle.
Can any one advise on this.
Regards
Manuel
vfmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 12:20   #2
Team-BHP Support

Why did they change glow plugs? If your car had a cold start problem then its understandable.
I suggest you check your old glow plugs first. If they are working fine, ask for a refund, escalate to customer care.
My suspicion is that your fuel lines are taking in air.
Do you get any missing while running?

Meanwhile try this. After the car has been switched off for few hours, disconnect the rubber fuel line from the injectors.
Then pump the hand plunger, fuel should come out without sputtering. If there is sputtering it means when your car is off, somehow its taking in air.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 12:25   #3
BHPian

Cold start - hmm sound familiar - try this - switch on the engine ( dont crank it ) and wait for the glow plug to go off , switch it off and then repeat the procedure 2 to 3 times, crank it , see whether it takes it on the first go ?
nikunj_cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 12:36   #4
BHPian

Hi vf,
I think this is the same problem I had some time back with my Indica. The starting problem occurred in the mornings (when the car was shutdown for a longer duration). It had nothing to do with cold start.
After some days, even using the hand plunger would not help in starting the car quickly enough.
They changed some "valves" or "flange" or "flap" related to the fuel pump. I dont know the exact technical name but it costed me around 500 bucks and this was done from the MICO-Bosch servicing station. Please check that out.
Regards,
Kaustubh
kaustubh_vaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 12:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Meanwhile try this. After the car has been switched off for few hours, disconnect the rubber fuel line from the injectors.
Then pump the hand plunger, fuel should come out without sputtering. If there is sputtering it means when your car is off, somehow its taking in air.
Agreed 100%, you can also check if the diesel filters are properly placed. I had the same problem that the fuel didn't come up to the pipe despite pumping for more than 20 min continously. It was found that the diesel filters are loose. He tightened them, and everything was perfect!
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 15:15   #6

What Kaustubh predicted happened last Saturday the vehicle did not start even after pumping manually. I have now sent the pump for check up, will update once I get the response from service centre. Thanks for the support.

Prerana having replaced four plugs I think I need to complain againt them since that did not solve the problem. But I am really fed up with the Indica service stations. Once again taken Rs 1600 with no purpose. My service fellow near my house again replaced one plug as this was gone in less than 2000 KMs I dont know if these plugs are made of BUTTER
Old 11th December 2007, 16:36   #7
BHPian

Default Indica Xeta - Shutdown

Hi Guys

This happened just yesterday, was driving back home in the night and I was on the 3rd gear with the rpm between 1000-1500 and since there was traffic I was manouvering the car in the 3rd gear itself, when suddenly the engine just died....

I could steer the car to left hand side of the road, but when it died I pushed the accelerator and also the changed the gear to second which was to no avail.

I had no clue as to what happened, thought that since I was in the 3rd gear and also that the rpm was hovering between 1k-1.5k this must have happened.

Pls reply if anyone on this forum have experienced this whilst driving and if so what could be the reason for it. Also the car is due for its third servicing what all should I take care of while I give the car to ensure that everything is sorted by the A.S.S.

Its winter time now and I have also been experiencing cold starts in the morning, however this problem does occur when I start teh car in the evening.

Do advise, thanks
saildrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 17:16   #8
Team-BHP Support

1000rpm in 3rd gear? You will stall.
As for cold start problem, get a new set of glowplugs. They are covered under warranty.
Old 11th December 2007, 17:40   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes I too think that the car will surely stall in 3rd gear at such low rpm

Dumb Q: What Are glow Plugs ?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 17:54   #10
Team-BHP Support

Glowplug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11th December 2007, 18:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> As for cold start problem, get a new set of glowplugs. They are covered under > warranty.

The car is a Xeta and so no glowplugs!
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 18:16   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Tanveer. I was aware of something which I knew as heating coils which IMHO were used in older Diesels. IIRC There used to be heater switch in Willys & Mahindra Jeeps
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 23:37   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

> As for cold start problem, get a new set of glowplugs. They are covered under > warranty.

The car is a Xeta and so no glowplugs!
Its a DLG. Which means indirect injection Diesel engine. This means glowplugs.
Old 12th December 2007, 13:59   #14

In my case the glow plugs were replaced many times (some times one or two and once all) however the cold start problem continued. last week the fuel pump was repaired (some plungers and diaphrams were replaced) total repair around Rs. 5000 now the starting problem is solved. After this seems like the engine sound also has come down.

according to the mechanic this problem is very common in Indica however happens only after 70 to 80K Km but in my case it started at 30K itself. Manipal motors of Tata did DECARBONISING of engine which probably resulted in this, this is my feeling as whole problem started after that only.

Regards
Manuel
Old 12th December 2007, 15:54   #15
Team-BHP Support

Do you have extended warranty?
If so, then there should have been no charge for fuel pump overhaul.