Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th December 2007, 20:56   #16

OK..they have replaced the field coil and topped up the a/c gas, and the a/c is working fine now. Field coil is an electrical component that connects the engine and the compressor, from what i got to know from the Trident engineers.
kalaks2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2007, 08:41   #17
BHPian

I had a problem in the same department, except that nothing directly wrong with the A/c , but the lever that controls the air circulation (inside air/outside air) snapped somewhere inside.
The service center said it will cost me around 3.8k to replace the whole unit. So for now I left it as it is, with it set in the inside air circulation position.
Whenever I use the A/c have to manually open the windows every 20 min or so to let some fresh air in
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2007, 12:18   #18

well, its all in the account of trident. But happen to see the bill as INR 2450 for the field coil, and 600 for the a/c gas.
Old 18th April 2009, 16:35   #19

Question Santro A/C problem

Hi Folks,

I have been having a problem with my santro car a/c for the last 3-4 days. The cooling effect has come down and just blows hot air...during the day. Horrible to drive without a/c in this summer.

(Have clocked close to 30,000 kms now...due for the 30 k service too.)

Could you suggest what could be the problem...Do i need to top up the a/c gas as its alomost 1.5 yrs since i have topped up. What else needs to be checked. I don't see a point in visiting the trident service centre as these guys just suck you with charges without the problem getting resolved.

Can some one suggest me a good car a/c mechanic in and around HAL airport road, indiranagar, kormangala, residency road ( close to my ofice ).
I feel the local mechanic can suggest the correct solution.

cheers.
Old 19th April 2009, 13:19   #20
BHPian

See if the compressor is running when you switch on the AC. There is an electromechanical clutch system to engage the compressor. If the fuse supplying it fails, the compressor will not engage and so no cooling effect.

Open the bonnet and take a look at the compressor unit. Just make sure that you keep your arms and dress away from the engine bay.
Ask someone to turn on the ac when the engine is running and you are watching it. The compressor unit will engage with a click and you can see the internal disk just behind the pulley also start revolving.

I owned a Tata Safari which used to blow the fuses often one time. I used to check by this method and replace the fuse. Finally I noticed that the cable feeding the electrical clutch had scraped insulation and that was the reason why it regularly kept blowing the fuse.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 04:37   #21
BHPian

drive the car at steady speed, then switch on the A.C. if the car gains a little speed instead of getting little slower due to AC load, most probably your compressor coil is Burnt, or its shorting.

If the above is happening, most probably the Fuse for A.C. in under bonnet fuse BOX for is should be BLOWN UP.
Try replacing a 10A fuse and if it gets blown up again, find a A.C. Mechanic directly, it would cost Rs.1000/- to 1500 to get it replaced.

Recently same thing happened to my santro which is also touching 30K in 3 yrs.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 16:25   #22

Arrow Santro A/c compressor problem

Well, tried and tested the same, but the cooling effect hasn't improved. So checked with a local A/C Mechanic near by. Initially he said the Freon Gas must have been exhausted and so the problem. He tried to top up the gas and run the a/c to check for the temp, there is no change in the temp..after trying it for almost 30 minutes Plus, he opened the connection to the compressor and found some black particles coming out of the system..and said it could be becos of the compressor gone bad where in the piston / crankshaft metal pieces must have been grinded and hence these black particles.

He is quoting 12k to get the entire thing done( replace compressor / dryer / labour charges / Gas etc..) to get the condition back to normal cooling effect. Need help from experts to guide me to the right steps as what i shld do now. How shld i approach to rectify this problem. Should i try with Trident Hyundai and take their opinion, or check with some other A/C shop, or get the thing done with the A/c mechanic who is quoting 12k.

Incase some one can guide me to a good & known a/c mechanic that will also help me.

Look fwd for guidance.
Old 27th April 2009, 11:37   #23
BHPian

The cost of a new compressor will be around 10 k and the labor charge + gas recharging will come to about 3 k at the most . So the quote you were given sounds ok. But you have to make sure that he is giving you a new compressor and not a recondioned one. Going to the *** will cost you a bit more, but at least you can be sure that they replace with a new one.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 13:57   #24
BHPian

Default A quick guide

There can be many reason for low/no ac performance.

Ac system necessarily consists of
1.Compressor
2.Condensor
3.Accumulator ( receiver drier )
4.Expansion/throttle valve
5.Evaporator
6.Piping connection ( of course )

Other parts related to getting in the cold air inside passenger compartment are
1.Blower
2.Recirculation & air distribution flaps.

so failure/ low performance of any if these can lead to problems.
I will always advise you to pay attension to
1. you have switched on the ac
2. blower speed is not at 0.
3.Always check there are no leakages of the ac gas form the system.

A) then if you feel a reduced acceleration while driving then surely the compressor is engaged( not neccessarily working good), so there are no engagement related issues.
B)For a vague check observe/feel/check the temperaure of the pipe which goes from Evaporator to compressor. It shall be cold enough. if not the issues are in high pressure circuit ( compressor to expansion valve & evaporator )
C) If thats ok , check the temperature after evarator ( by gauge ). It shall be between 0 to 5 deg. If not check expansion valve , high pressure switch(if exists) & lastly the big C compressor.
D) If the above checks show that all units except compressor are good. Think about replacing the compressor ( costly affair ).
E) always insist on through system cleaning /purging by nitrogen & vacuum check before filling in the new charge of refrigerent gas.

Hope thats exhaustive..
For more queries reply this post

Best of luck
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 18:29   #25

Thanx 007, for the exhaustive list...so after some thought decided to take it to the Advaith Hyundai. The guys after checking said the cooling is not coming enough and for all possible reasons the compresor and the dryer must have gone bad..He is quoting a whopping 18k for the whole thing. So there is a diff of 5k between and authorised services and a local a/c mechanic. What to do..Advaith charged me with 700 bucks just for removing and refixing the front bumper and the compressor assembly..

Iam thoroughly confused now...need to get my a/c back in action and driving in this summer without a/c is pathetic..pls suggest
Old 3rd May 2009, 07:24   #26
BHPian

Go with the local mechanic, He'll take care of your A.C. also these local mechanic do their best to WIN the customer, where as the dealer(in most cases) would always keep you on his SHOE TIP.

Try negotiating with the local one, he would certainly give you discounts.
Also if possible you can ask him to get the compressor replaced in front of you.

All the best
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 15:18   #27
BHPian

Going with a local ac mechanic is not a bad option as they will charge lesser than *** guys in most cases. You need to double check and confirm that the compressor has actually gone bad though. Generally compressors are sturdy machines and last long.
nvldvr is offline   Reply With Quote