Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th November 2007, 08:43   #1
BHPian

Exclamation FILTERMAG - Has Anyone Tried It?

Hey Guys!

The Hyundai service dealer offered me this rare-earth (Neodymium) magnet costing 2400 from Filtermag, a US company.

FilterMAG: Magnetic Oil Filters finish the Job Your Filter Started.

i went to the web-site & liked what i saw. These are simple bolt on magnets with VERY high attraction rates (34 kg!). It is completely re-useable, & it has claimed HUGE reduction in particles upto 2 microns!

What do you guys think?
1self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 09:39   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I will not dispute the capability of the magnet itself to attract iron based particles. But how effective and helpful is this to the functioning & health of the engine is the question.

There would be some metallic particles in the engine oil, which should not be that much of a problem. Such particles would be present more during running in period when the engine is settling down, than later when the engine has settled down. But it's for this very reason that most vehicles have an early first oil change. With today's manufacturing processes & technology, engine parts are so well finished & precision engineered that you really dont need a running-in period, and also not much settling down.

Is the guy offering you an oil filter add-on or a fuel filter add-on, or both ? If using the filter will help in increasing the time between two oil & filter changes, will you delay your oil & filter changes ? No, I dont think so. Any such delay will void your warranty. Or is this dealer saying you can delay your oil & filter changes - or is the dealer just offering you the product ? Will the dealer uphold warranty above what the company says, in this situation ?

Btw, any one know what's the size of molecules in engine oil ?

Their literature seems a dramatization of what may be happening in small quantities.

The website says the filter will stop particles upto 2 micron in size. Do our engines need such precise operating conditions that anything more than 2 microns will damage the engine ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filtermag on their website
Eventually they take over the tank, lines & filter, causing significant and expensive damage.
How does this affect the engine - the fuel is burnt, and so will these micro-organisms. Unless your vehicle is sitting idle for long periods of time, with a full tank of fuel, and there are sufficient numbers bacteria that can break down petroleum (like those used to clean up oil-spills), these micro-organisms shouldnt be a bother. Also, the oil company itself would have taken care of these in their processes. And in the case of a vehicle sitting idle, I would be more worried about sludge than rust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filtermag on their website
The RA Series provides extra power where its needed most.
- How ?

I am not able to see higher resolution images of any of their photos - just thumbnails. Not enough to go by, even if photos were proof enough.

I'm not convinced.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 19:32   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

@1self, have you checked this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-build-up.html (Installation of magnetic devices to prevent carbon build up?)
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 19:42   #4
BHPian

Hi Condor!

thanks for the thread! But, i honestly would'nt mind putting one on my engine oil filter. The rest, that has been talked about in the thread is quite right about the gimmik bit.

I know for a fact that turbosam puts magnets even in the coolant tank! now he would'nt be doing it if it did not serve a purpose.

All in all, i think this is not a bad idea.
1self is offline   Reply With Quote