Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th January 2009, 22:59   #121
Senior - BHPian

Aren't you planning for a CNG kit in your lancer, Ajay?
Asking since CNG is a lot more cheaper to run on compared to LPG and I reckon you'd rather spend a little more time listening to music than reaching your destination sooner.

Last edited by nitrous : 24th January 2009 at 23:06.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 15:08   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasher26 View Post
Recently completed a tankful to tankful on LPG and petrol on my Accent so that I could know about my savings

200 kms - 22 litres Petrol - 9.09 kmpl - Rs 5.5 per km
350 kms - 46 litres LPG - 7.6 kmpl - Rs 3.9 per km
Hi,

Apart from the money spent on LPG , some amount of petrol is burning too during starts which are on petrol, so we end up spending a bit more while using LPG .
Petrol has to be filled in too every now and then and that too has to be used up as if it remains unused , the 'thinning ' may foul up exhaust system and plugs.
So its a vicious circle. You have to continue using petrol too and spend on that as well.....
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 14:16   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Aren't you planning for a CNG kit in your lancer, Ajay?
Takes up too much boot space. Bloody large tank for the miniscule capacity.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 10:03   #124
BHPian

Thumbs up some saving finally !

[quote=HIGHNOON;1145305]Hi,

Latest LPG @ Rs.24.95/ lit. @ AEGIS PUMP at Panvel

Translates into
Rs.1.99 / km on highway W/o AC @ 12.5 kmpl FE
RS.3.12 / KM In Mumbai on AC @ 8 kmpl

With 1 passenger apart from me driving and no real load in the trunk apart from the LPG tank.
Have experimented with lacing the petrol with 2T oil and have experienced better effeciency and smoothness. Whether this improved engine 'lubricity ' translates into better performance on LPG as well needs to be seen.
Shall update !
But its you day in the sun LPG users. Make the most of it till LPG prices remains low

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 3rd February 2009 at 10:05. Reason: missed a word .
Old 5th February 2009, 22:43   #125
BHPian

LPG price now at Rs, 24.37 in delhi
ask77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 00:20   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasher26 View Post
Recently completed a tankful to tankful on LPG and petrol on my Accent so that I could know about my savings

200 kms - 22 litres Petrol - 9.09 kmpl - Rs 5.5 per km
350 kms - 46 litres LPG - 7.6 kmpl - Rs 3.9 per km
Some more facts:
My saving is also Rs 1.5 per KM for my city drives, this also includes my pertrol costs. I fill approx. 5 Ltr Petrol for one tankful LPG. (On my Baleno)

For highway drives the saving is Rs 1.25 per KM. This is less because my average is better with Petrol on highways.
bejoyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 22:13   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoyr View Post
For highway drives the saving is Rs 1.25 per KM. This is less because my average is better with Petrol on highways.
You probably are not using lambda controller in your lpg kit that may be the cause for the difference in averages on highway and city
Old 6th February 2009, 23:56   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask77 View Post
You probably are not using lambda controller in your lpg kit that may be the cause for the difference in averages on highway and city
That's true, I am not, I loaded LPG kit 3 years back, lambda controller wasn't available then.
Old 7th February 2009, 22:49   #129
BHPian

Quote:
and sometimes like in my case , the highway the weather being cooler and i usually roll down the windows and drive without AC at almost a constant speed of 70/80 kmph in overdrive. the rpm is constantly under or around 2k.
This against almost all the time AC being on with the awful traffic and air and noise pollution in city like mUmbai.
this explains the major diff. in FE .

On petrol accent i have got best FE value - 15kmpl on highway
avg. fe value on petrol on highway is - 13.5 kmpl
and on gas have got - 12.5 kmpl on highway.
avg. fe on gas on highway - 11.5 kmpl

and worst value in petrol on city - 8.75 kmpl
and worst FE value in city -7.85 kmpl

Accent guzzles fuel at idling with the short gearing upfront . the same is true for some. cars like Ikon , Palio. the tall overdrive gears result in better FE on highway.
Old 7th February 2009, 22:55   #130
BHPian

Quote:
That's true, I am not, I loaded LPG kit 3 years back, lambda controller wasn't available then.
@ bejoyr !
If you are generally happy with your car and MAINLY performance AFTER retrofitting , you can even now add a lambda controller to kit.
It' ll mean addition of a stepper motor and a lambda controller to other components comprising the LPG kit.
Maybe you can even replace the switch to a softtouch one which nowadays is more common.
Damages ought not be more than 7 k.
But It' ll make a noticable diff. to your experience.

regds,

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 7th February 2009 at 22:57. Reason: rephrasing ! sorry
Old 8th February 2009, 10:00   #131
BHPian

by the way on the question of FE , my experiment with lpg as a fuel in vehicles started about four years ago with an old 97 model maruti 800 carburated which i had fitted with an ordinary lpg kit without of course any lambda or other advance features. the car used to give 13 kmpl with a/c in city on petrol but I could get around 14 kmpl on lpg by adjusting the maximum demand regulator on the vaporizer . it resulted in the top end power being low and the car wouldn't go much beyond 100kmph but driving in the city traffic was fine with the low rpm performance being o.k. also the car used to be driven in the city with usually no or 1 passenger . this kind of experiment is not possible in modern mpfi engines where the FE on lpg is usually 10% lower than on petrol.
Old 8th February 2009, 10:29   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
@ bejoyr !
If you are generally happy with your car and MAINLY performance AFTER retrofitting , you can even now add a lambda controller to kit.
I checked with my LPG kit vendor regarding adding lambda, but he discouraged me. Even I am not very keen on adding it as I am not sure about my 'return-on-investment' since the average I am getting is similar to what you guys getting. No major concerns on performance as well, I guess my Baleno baby is taking care of the dip in performance even without a stepper motor and a lambda controller.

However, if any of you have added the lambda controller to your existing LPG kit (like HIGHNOON suggested), please comment on your experience.
Old 9th February 2009, 00:03   #133
BHPian

Quote:
I checked with my LPG kit vendor regarding adding lambda, but he discouraged me. Even I am not very keen on adding it as I am not sure about my 'return-on-investment' since the average I am getting is similar to what you guys getting. No major concerns on performance as well, I guess my Baleno baby is taking care of the dip in performance even without a stepper motor and a lambda controller.

However, if any of you have added the lambda controller to your existing LPG kit (like HIGHNOON suggested), please comment on your experience.
You can do without lambda if your check engine light does not light up and your kit doesn't require frequent tune up.
Old 15th February 2009, 20:06   #134
BHPian

Quote:
You can do without lambda if your check engine light does not light up and your kit doesn't require frequent tune up.
I used to have both problems during the initial days of LPG kit. I would blame the workshop technicians for that....they didn't know what they were doing. But I guess they learned the job now and doing good.

So I suggest if anyone have these problems then try to get it tuned with an experienced technician before fixing lambda.
Old 31st March 2009, 12:12   #135
BHPian

Default Airfilter in WagonR DUO

Hi all,

Is there different air filter for LPG and Petrol in WagonR Duo or airfilter is common for both the fuel system ? Any idea on performance modification in lpg without affecting warrantly ?

thanks in advance for reply
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote