Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2007, 17:20   #1
BHPian
 
arunkumar_rec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 107
Thanked: Once
Default Getz parcel tray rattling?

I had this parcel tray rattling noise in my new GETZ 1.3 GLS for 10 months from my purchase date. Complained so many times to the service folks. But no fix at all. Useless people. Even just 2 days back they said the problem may be from the Tailgate release hydraulic assy and offered to replace it. But i told them it is the parcel tray and not the tailgate stuff. They didnt listen.
Finally you know what ?? I have fixed it with just Rs.3/-
Secret is my son's Nataraja pencil Eraser. I just cut the eraser longitudinally into 2 halves and inserted on both sides of my parcel tray in between the parcel tray and the adjacent platic piece on which the parcel tray is resting. I made it a press fit so that the parcel tray's movement is totally restricted(ensure this. else u wont get the expected result). The relative motion of the parcel tray with the plastic piece is now eliminated with the eraser doing the trick. Now the cabin is noiseless, no rattles. Absolute bliss.... Only drawback is the parcel tray can't be lifted now. But I need the parcel tray removed only for my long trips which i go once in say 6 months.
Try it. If there is any problem, PM me...
Arun
arunkumar_rec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 21:28   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 581 Times
Default Great Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumar_rec View Post
I had this parcel tray rattling noise in my new GETZ 1.3 GLS for 10 months from my purchase date. Complained so many times to the service folks. But no fix at all. Useless people. Even just 2 days back they said the problem may be from the Tailgate release hydraulic assy and offered to replace it. But i told them it is the parcel tray and not the tailgate stuff. They didnt listen.
Finally you know what ?? I have fixed it with just Rs.3/-
Secret is my son's Nataraja pencil Eraser. I just cut the eraser longitudinally into 2 halves and inserted on both sides of my parcel tray in between the parcel tray and the adjacent platic piece on which the parcel tray is resting. I made it a press fit so that the parcel tray's movement is totally restricted(ensure this. else u wont get the expected result). The relative motion of the parcel tray with the plastic piece is now eliminated with the eraser doing the trick. Now the cabin is noiseless, no rattles. Absolute bliss.... Only drawback is the parcel tray can't be lifted now. But I need the parcel tray removed only for my long trips which i go once in say 6 months.
Try it. If there is any problem, PM me...
Arun
Great job..sometimes the solution just requires some brains.

I will give you another example. My wheelcaps(centerbolt design)began rattling after sometime as the cap was contacting the edge of the rim.Solution..paste a 4mm thick layer of sponge on the wheelcap ineerside circumference.Cost..Rs.5 for the adhesive.Waste Sponge was sourced from a sofa repairer
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 00:19   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
rocksterraghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,202
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Arun, the stock parcel tray rattles when decent speakers (like 6X9s) are installed on them and played at even moderate volumes. The better solution is to get a tray made of MDF (Medium density fiber wood) - which would help you solve the problem permanently - even if you amp the speakers later.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 07:53   #4
BHPian
 
wolfinstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 994
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

I wanted an MDF tray too, but The installer said that Indica's tray is heavy and good enough for 6X9 Setup minus woofer. I do still have ocassional rattles if the road is bumpy.
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 08:43   #5
BHPian
 
1self's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 627
Thanked: 266 Times
Default

MDF is the only answer to speaker rattle in hatchbacks. They come custom built & fitted for all major car models. They also come off easily, when baggage requirments demand.
1self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 08:53   #6
BHPian
 
wolfinstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 994
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

In my case, I required spacers also- since the CNG tank is installed...more newer CNG setups have a low hieght based tank installed but they cover up the spare wheel well also...so good for cars moving on tubeless and CNG.

I will think of of an MDF if the rattles go on to become worse.
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2008, 01:48   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 68
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

where is a good place to buy (and fit) MDF tray in Mumbai? For my Palio Stile 1.6
amitsingh08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2009, 18:43   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 9
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks for the advice folks. My SWIFT also has parcel tray problems and the car accessories shop suggested me to go for MDF tray. The cost of the cheapest MDF tray is around INR 850 (labor included). Is that a fair price? Please help. The noise is irritating.
dasukhija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2009, 11:59   #9
BHPian
 
darthvader5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 67
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

NIce. For the Zen that I have at home I wrapped some electrical insulation tape around the pivot and rest points on the parcel tray and VOILA !!! no more rattles. So much for MASS people.

Some times I think are these people ( service advisors/ engineers ) born stupid or do they say outrageous things just to irritate us !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Great job..sometimes the solution just requires some brains.

I will give you another example. My wheelcaps(centerbolt design)began rattling after sometime as the cap was contacting the edge of the rim.Solution..paste a 4mm thick layer of sponge on the wheelcap ineerside circumference.Cost..Rs.5 for the adhesive.Waste Sponge was sourced from a sofa repairer
darthvader5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 16:07   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 9
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I got the new parcel tray. It cost me 850 bucks, the rattle has stopped, however there is still some knock sound when I go down slowly on some slope or a bad road, comes from rear right. May not be because of the tray.
dasukhija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 09:50   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 88
Thanked: 0 Times
Exclamation help for rattling noise in getz

Hello

there are rattling noise coming up from rear right side area whenever driving on poor roads or speed breakers.I ensured that there are no objects kept at the back /boot space,but still the rattling noise comes up.There is no noise during driving on smooth roads.Please suggest some check points.

Thanks.
sathya_j2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:00   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 88
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasukhija View Post
I got the new parcel tray. It cost me 850 bucks, the rattle has stopped, however there is still some knock sound when I go down slowly on some slope or a bad road, comes from rear right. May not be because of the tray.

this is exactly what im facing in my getz.To make sure.i removed the tray and drove and still I heard rattling noise from rear right side while driving on poor roads and speed breakers
sathya_j2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:56   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
chiragh_bir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In front of you :P
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

getzz prime needs to be damped badly !!


it could be suspension bush , my card had same problem but it automatically got vanished !!

Last edited by chiragh_bir : 23rd June 2009 at 10:57.
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:56   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,158
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

The clips used to secure the plastic panels (on the side above rear tray) could be loose. The ICE installer pulled the panel resulting in squeeking rattling for my getz. Hyundai was unable to resolve and I got it resolved from another ICE installer.

Bring it to the notice of your service station. They would take a test drive and try to rectify it.
PatienceWins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 21:35   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 9
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_j2084 View Post
this is exactly what im facing in my getz.To make sure.i removed the tray and drove and still I heard rattling noise from rear right side while driving on poor roads and speed breakers
Take your car to the service station. I took my SWIFT to Sai Service, Pune. They were able to fix the problem for few days, but the issue came back :(

I am just living with it now. Sai didnt charge me anything for it since my car is still under warranty. Apparently they re-greased(?) all contact points. That is what I could see in the job card.
dasukhija is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mounting speakers on Boot tray.. good or bad for tray?? varunghatge Modifications & Accessories 11 5th December 2008 20:07
mounting oval speaker in parcel tray of SX$ budrukkar In-Car Entertainment 3 1st June 2008 16:31
What is in your Parcel Tray? mhafeez_13666 Shifting gears 22 23rd May 2008 10:13
Parcel/Speaker Tray saintsinner In-Car Entertainment 11 5th December 2007 10:23
Hyundai Getz Parcel Tray Rattling Noise arunkumar_rec Technical Stuff 4 24th August 2007 10:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks