Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2007, 20:47   #1
BHPian
 
hell boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 108
Thanked: 3 Times
Unhappy Squeking Sound From My Esteem

HI guys this is ELVIS (hell boy) I have some troblem with my 1997 carb maruthi esteem.As I have brought this car form one of my uncle and i'm now facing some issues with it the car is good from ever aspect the only thing i have a problem with is the engine. I have lately heard a squeking sound from my engine. So took it to my machanic he thought that it was the sound of my timing belt so i went ahead and changed the timing bealt and a gear that is conected to the timing belt but still the noise wont stop so what he said that he will go ahead and service the head which he did and i was also there in front of him when he was doing it .He found that the oil pump of my engine was choked so i went ahead and change the oil pump that was choked.

And now after 2 days i see that the noise is still there but it is worst this time as there was some tappit sound as well so took it back and told him about it so the said that he had found the problem it was when the oil pump was chocked it did not supply proper oil to the conecting rod bearing so he says that he has to go ahed and get the engine opened and service the whole engine and it will work like new and he said that it will cost around 10k to 15k to do this and my car had ran only 68743 km till date so psl advice me what to do should i take a second advice or go ahead and do the work that he says ............. help
hell boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 18:39   #2
BHPian
 
Pankaj401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 216
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Take a view from MASS rather than just one mechanic.
Pankaj401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 22:52   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,746
Thanked: 7,449 Times
Default

did you check the water pump? and pulleys?

take it to a reliable M.A.S.S
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 23:08   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell boy View Post
HI guys this is ELVIS (hell boy) I have some troblem with my 1997 carb maruthi esteem.As I have brought this car form one of my uncle and i'm now facing some issues with it the car is good from ever aspect the only thing i have a problem with is the engine. I have lately heard a squeking sound from my engine. So took it to my machanic he thought that it was the sound of my timing belt so i went ahead and changed the timing bealt and a gear that is conected to the timing belt but still the noise wont stop so what he said that he will go ahead and service the head which he did and i was also there in front of him when he was doing it .He found that the oil pump of my engine was choked so i went ahead and change the oil pump that was choked.

And now after 2 days i see that the noise is still there but it is worst this time as there was some tappit sound as well so took it back and told him about it so the said that he had found the problem it was when the oil pump was chocked it did not supply proper oil to the conecting rod bearing so he says that he has to go ahed and get the engine opened and service the whole engine and it will work like new and he said that it will cost around 10k to 15k to do this and my car had ran only 68743 km till date so psl advice me what to do should i take a second advice or go ahead and do the work that he says ............. help
from what you have said here, it looks like your mechanic is hell bent on squeezing you of every paise that you got. get a second opinion (from MASS preferably)
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 23:40   #5
gump
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Check wheater the timing belt is fixed properly or not, sometimes the timing belt might be loose and you might get these kinda noise, its important that it is fixed properly
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 17:49   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,798
Thanked: 745 Times
Default Soap

Start the car. Take a bar of soap and press it firmly against the belt so that the side of the belt that makes contact with the pulleys is picking up soap. See if this stops or changes the sound you are hearing after a minute or two. If it does, it is a belt problem. The belt is not tight enough, about to wear out, or the belt tensioner is broken.

Also, check the tension of the belt. If you press on it with your hand (with engine stopped!!!!) the belt should have about 1 inch of play in it.

This would be lucky for you if it is just a belt problem. However, that ticking noise does not sound good.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 18:09   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
iceman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: melbourne/bangalore
Posts: 1,958
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

agree with the others the mech could be messing with you..for eg the tappet sound would definitely come afte he serviced the head cos you have to get them adjusted and he would not have done this properly after the head service.
also if the engine had to be opened and checked it will not cost 15k. unless you are looking at replacing pistons or con rods
definitely check elsewhere
try dan's suggestion I too am inclined toward timing belt and tensioner
also check the other belts..they may squeek
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 18:58   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,746
Thanked: 7,449 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Start the car. Take a bar of soap and press it firmly against the belt so that the side of the belt that makes contact with the pulleys is picking up soap. See if this stops or changes the sound you are hearing after a minute or two. If it does, it is a belt problem. The belt is not tight enough, about to wear out, or the belt tensioner is broken.

Also, check the tension of the belt. If you press on it with your hand (with engine stopped!!!!) the belt should have about 1 inch of play in it.

This would be lucky for you if it is just a belt problem. However, that ticking noise does not sound good.
Please donot do this on an esteem, the belts are in a tight position and you will land up injuring your hands.

Also play in an esteem will NOT be one inch, it will have a very minor up n down movement.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 18:59   #9
BHPian
 
hell boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 108
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Thanks guys for your suggestion will work on the suggestions given and will reply back.
hell boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 22:23   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,798
Thanked: 745 Times
Default nit picking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Please donot do this on an esteem, the belts are in a tight position and you will land up injuring your hands.

Also play in an esteem will NOT be one inch, it will have a very minor up n down movement.
Nit picking posts like yours are very tiresome. I think an adult can put soap on a belt without "injuring his hands". If he can not, he should not be driving a car.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 22:30   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
rr_zen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,711
Thanked: 262 Times
Default

Another simple way to find if its a problem with the belt is to sprinkle some water over it. If the sound stops momentarily and returns later then is for sure a problem with the belt. This is out of my experience.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 22:51   #12
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,746
Thanked: 7,449 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Nit picking posts like yours are very tiresome. I think an adult can put soap on a belt without "injuring his hands". If he can not, he should not be driving a car.
sorry if i tired you, but there are a lot of new bees who might not be really equipped to do what you have mentioned, putting soap on a esteem belt which resides precariously close to chasis side member, and that too with engine running !!

again, hope you have some idea of what kind of belt esteem engine uses ?? and the issues when something like soap is introduced into the equation?? i suggest you google some more before suggesting home made remedies, which can even lead to bigger issues.

I again apologize if i offended you, but that was not the idea
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 00:49   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Nit picking posts like yours are very tiresome. I think an adult can put soap on a belt without "injuring his hands". If he can not, he should not be driving a car.
DD, i find that comment awfully misplaced. A driver/owner need not be capable of actually doing something so silly. First advice that you will read in any safety manual is not to put your hand inside a running mechanical device. If you had chosen to do that then it is your hand & your life, please do not presume that is the standard. Hope you understand.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 01:05   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 423
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Start the car. Take a bar of soap and press it firmly against the belt so that the side of the belt that makes contact with the pulleys is picking up soap. See if this stops or changes the sound you are hearing after a minute or two. If it does, it is a belt problem. The belt is not tight enough, about to wear out, or the belt tensioner is broken.

Also, check the tension of the belt. If you press on it with your hand (with engine stopped!!!!) the belt should have about 1 inch of play in it.

This would be lucky for you if it is just a belt problem. However, that ticking noise does not sound good.
bar of soap pressed onto a running belt? well i agree with you cos i guess that in most cases this "soapy trick" would identify the problem cos it could ensure a damaged hand and no need to start/drive the car for quite a while. and 1" of play? too much. belts are good enough that if it starts to squeal then its mostly a worn belt. replace it!

like its often said "when all else fails read the instruction manual".
hollywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 18:21   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,798
Thanked: 745 Times
Default Let him decide

I'll tell you what, let's let "Hell Boy", the thread originator, decide what is best for his own safety, okay all you highly concerned safe citizens? The soap trick has been around a long time because it often works.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audi's Sound Concept cabin defines auditory excess: 62 speaker surround-sound ! dar3dev|l In-Car Entertainment 10 22nd June 2010 15:23
sound car advice needed for my dying self esteem ! jeevan Modifications & Accessories 8 18th September 2009 04:13
Strange sound from the Bonnet of Esteem esteemer Technical Stuff 10 9th July 2009 17:08
Esteem fuel pump(mpfi) in esteem-carb tank techn0l0gist Technical Stuff 0 13th June 2009 22:03
Sound from Engine Bay of Swift VDI (DDIS) - what would be the cause of this sound? DieselFan Technical Stuff 4 25th January 2008 18:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks