Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th June 2009, 09:52   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

There are two parts to this:

1. Obviously at a higher speed the blower will draw more power. Say 3A, i.e. 36W (or 1/20hp) which is negligible.
2. As the blower runs slower the cooling will be reduced. I suspect the loss here will be negligible, since very seldom do we let the car get so cold as to have the compressor switched off. When running the compressor draws it full power (up to 3-5hp at speed). This is the place where the real juice is consumed! Modern cars do not have thermostats and only switch the compressor off whent he pressure in the system goes low.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 18:46   #47
BHPian

I believe that the blower unit does consume some power, sufficient to affect FE ever so slightly. I have noticed in more than one vehicle (including my own Innova) that switching the blower on at full in an idling vehicle momentarily dips the idling r.p.m. This means that the blower at full power does add sufficient load to the engine (through the alternator) so as to make it felt.

As far as cooling is concerned, I for one always prefer my blower set to tornado mode. I feel much more comfortable that way.
S.H.Shankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 11:29   #48
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.H.Shankar View Post
I have noticed in more than one vehicle (including my own Innova) that switching the blower on at full in an idling vehicle momentarily dips the idling r.p.m. This means that the blower at full power does add sufficient load to the engine (through the alternator) so as to make it felt.

As far as cooling is concerned, I for one always prefer my blower set to tornado mode. I feel much more comfortable that way.
I have noticed the same in my Alto. On speeds 1-3 the blower seems fine, increase it to the max of 4 and you feel a slight change in the engine RPM. I rarely use speed 4 in my car, but have noticed the change.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote