Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th December 2007, 15:17   #16
BHPian

Guys, Thanks for the overwhelming response...
Now this thing has got me thinking...

Let me clarify a few things here:

1. The road on which I was trying all these stuffs was free from Sand and Gravel....it was a good tar road.

2. The drifting of my cars rear to its right also occurs when I jam brake at slow speeds (causing locking of rear wheels) and I make sure the steering was pretty straight.

3. My front wheels are pretty steady under extreme braking...whether they lock up or not.

So how do I start ? Should I be approaching the company people at the service center to check the brake pads, lining, cylinder, ratio (65:35), Suspension, chasis stiffening etc...?? Or should I try to look for a good local mechanic ?? Any pointers to a good mechanic in Bangalore ??
Pani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2007, 19:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Does fish tailing or the rear sliding out mean the rear wheels are locking up.??
Can't it happen because of a faulty suspension?
Fish tailing or the rear slide out happens more often cos of the wheels locking up rather than a faulty suspension..

Faulty suspension causes..wobble..lot of body roll..a thud sound everytime we go over a small pothole etc..I'd doubt it'd cause a rear slide outl under severe braking!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2007, 19:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

check your rear brake wheel cylinder oil seals..one of them leaking could cause this..i'd prefer the company if i were you, unless i've known the mechanic for over a decade..

Also..is it always to the right!!??
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2007, 19:45   #19
BHPian

Most often than not, we need to check one of these things
1) The brake bias, most cars have tandem brake setup with one cylinder for the front right and rear left and another for the front left and rear right. Its possible that the rear right wheel is locking up earlier than the left one causing the car to slide to the right.
2) Most of the newer cars have self adjusting shoes, the older cars have manual adjustments, possible that the breaks are not balanced correctly.
3) If there is a difference in the tire pressure, this will cause the wheel with the lower pressure to grip the road more causing the car to swing in that direction.
4) Worn suspension bushing, this will cause uneven weight transfer during braking causing the side with the least weight to break free.
5) Worn or loose tie rod/steering linkage bushing, this can cause the car to go out of line while braking.

first check these things before contemplating, suspension replacement or chassis strengthening.
Vinaygv is offline   Reply With Quote