Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 31st December 2007, 11:32   #1
BHPian

Default Scorpio : Weird electrical problem

Hi friends,

Although I have recently joined this forum, I have been following it religiously for over a year now.

As I was looking for some technical advice for a weird electrical problem in my Scorpio, I thought that with all experts available in this forum, somebody maybe able to help me out.

Problem:
After starting the car & running it for around 5-7 kms, there is a sudden increase in the electrical output generated by the car. Symptoms being:

1. The headlights become brighter

2. Horn sounds more shriller

3. Power windows roll up & down faster than usual

4. The turbo wine increases noticeably

5. The amp shuts down & sub-woofer stops to produce any sound

6. Additionally off late, the complete music system dies for a short while & comes back to life again

All the above problems go off after a brief period of time ~3-5 minutes. The whole scenario repeats over 3 -4 times before everything becomes OK.

This problems happens every time the car has been parked for over an hour or so.

I don't know if anyone has ever faced such a weird problem. Please let me know what could be the possible reasons for this & how it could be rectified.
forbhaskarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 12:06   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbhaskarm View Post
Hi friends,

Although I have recently joined this forum, I have been following it religiously for over a year now.

As I was looking for some technical advice for a weird electrical problem in my Scorpio, I thought that with all experts available in this forum, somebody maybe able to help me out.

Problem:
After starting the car & running it for around 5-7 kms, there is a sudden increase in the electrical output generated by the car. Symptoms being:

1. The headlights become brighter

2. Horn sounds more shriller

3. Power windows roll up & down faster than usual

4. The turbo wine increases noticeably

5. The amp shuts down & sub-woofer stops to produce any sound

6. Additionally off late, the complete music system dies for a short while & comes back to life again

All the above problems go off after a brief period of time ~3-5 minutes. The whole scenario repeats over 3 -4 times before everything becomes OK.

This problems happens every time the car has been parked for over an hour or so.

I don't know if anyone has ever faced such a weird problem. Please let me know what could be the possible reasons for this & how it could be rectified.
Hi ,

Pls get ur alternator checked for its functionality and the earth connections

for the audio . get the wiring checked as it seems to be shorting some where otherwise the amps would not shutdown .

it only shutdows when it get more power then expected actually a safety feature to prevent burn out of the amp.

abhishek_rait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 12:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

From the first 3 problems & the ICE problems you're facing it seems that your Alternator is acting up & is in spurts generating excess current & dumping it on to your electrical system.

This can result in a serious failure of break down so I would suggest you get the car checked up at the dealership or a competent Car electrician asap.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 22:17   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely go to the service center & get it checked. Will confirm what they say.
Old 7th January 2008, 11:16   #5
BHPian

Thanks all for the suggestion. It was indeed a problem with the alternator. I got it rectified at the service station on 3rd Jan. The problem seems to have gone.