Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th May 2008, 20:17   #121
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Xehaust, Today I roamed at least 30 shops to study the availability of rubbing products in Bangalore, J C road, Mission road area.

What I have found is Formula 1 scratch out is available everywhere. No Turtle Wax Rubbing nor 3M rubbing available at last I landed in one paint shop off J C Road where I found 3M Rubbing Compound (i think its called Finesse-it) tried on few of my Innova scratches, I can see minor scratches gone fully, good product to remove minor scratches.

Tomorrow I am trying this compound and come back with the experience.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 17:30   #122
BANNED

Default High rates at balaji 3M dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
@Absar: I can PM you the mobile number of the guy who works there as a supervisor that used to personally attend to my car everytime. Hope his number hasnt changed now. You can refer my name as Ravi from TCS.

By the way, from what I recollect, I paid a total of around 3K (two years back) and this included:

1. Detailing the exterior
2. Under chassis treatment
3. Treatment of door panels for rust prevention
4. Detailing the interiors like steering, dashboard etc.
5. Tyre Dressing.

Also, you get two free services for the next one year for items 1,4, and 5. Am sure you will be impressed with the work after it is done. You can take a peek at my gallery to have an idea of how the car looks after the treatment.
I visited the 3M dealer Balaji in Chennai to enquire about the cost of Under Chaisis Painting for my Santro. The quote I was given shocked me

Under Chaisis Painting with 5 yrs warranty -3500
with 2 yrs warranty -2800
Paint Protection Treatment (1+2) - 3500
Single Application -1800
Interiors Protection -2000
All these rates where quoted for my Santro.I am new to this stuff i want to know if the rates are correct ones or on the higher side
knownstrangerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 18:08   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Important - Please keep in mind that the scratches removed are the ones which have come due to another paint coming on top of your car as it will remove that paint from on top of your car paint. If your paint is scratched, then this will only clean that scratch, not remove the scratch as your paint is damaged.
Products like Scratch-out or liquid rubbing compound will remove very fine scratches on the paint. To test run your fingernail across the scratch. If you can feel it, then scratch-out will not work. Swirl marks can be reduced with scratch-out.

Rubbing compounds in paste form are more abrasive and will probably help to remove slightly deeper scratches.

Like Xehaust said, paint marks will be removed for sure.

cheers!
smsrini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 19:52   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata's Customer Care ideas!

Tata Motors Customer Care :: Car Detailing
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 11:43   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Tata's Customer Care ideas!

Tata Motors Customer Care :: Car Detailing
the car on the left hand of that page is not a TATA
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 12:47   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knownstrangerr View Post
I visited the 3M dealer Balaji in Chennai to enquire about the cost of Under Chaisis Painting for my Santro. The quote I was given shocked me

Single Application -1800
All these rates where quoted for my Santro.I am new to this stuff i want to know if the rates are correct ones or on the higher side
The prices quoted by you shock me too ! They have for sure jacked up their rates. I havent had a chance to go there ever since I returned from the US. Need to check what is in store for me.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 13:00   #127
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
The prices quoted by you shock me too ! They have for sure jacked up their rates. I havent had a chance to go there ever since I returned from the US. Need to check what is in store for me.
Ya Zen i was reading this forum and when i enquired i was shocked .Someone had written that dupont charges 2000 for the same and i am trying to find out if its available in chennai.Put a query about it in the forum no replies yet hoping to get one soon.
knownstrangerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 22:34   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Single Application -1800
These are the current rates for 3M, my brother's new SX4 got a paint protection treatment for 3500/- with 2 coupons.

My Optra, which already has a paint protection package done, had an 'exterior beautification' done by 3M at Sundaram for 1650/- at its 30k service.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 00:18   #129
BHPian

Default Orbital polisher in Delhi/NCR

Hello,

Can any any of you let me know of a shop in NCR selling Orbital (rotary) polisher machine (or even a D/A polisher) and the appropriate cutting and finishing pads? I can see some machines being sold on eBay, but would like to touch and feel the machine before buying.

Thanks!
vipul_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 08:59   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
Can any any of you let me know of a shop in NCR selling Orbital (rotary) polisher machine (or even a D/A polisher) and the appropriate cutting and finishing pads?
In Delhi, get to Chawri Bazaar by the Metro. Everything under the sun by way of power tools! At prices that no one can beat.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 09:29   #131
Senior - BHPian

@Xehaust

Waxpol is a fairly reasonable and reputed brand of rubbing compund & polish here in Delhi at the local garages. This is what 90% garages would be using & have been using since decades.

It is only after the advent of 3M / Turtle / Eagle, that the not so fancy Indian brands are "thought to be" not good enough. The cost differential is huge, but the results may or may not be noticeably different. (subjective)

Anyway, just thought I'd like to mention that Waxpol & the like are perfectly acceptable quality.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 26th June 2008 at 09:36.
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 10:36   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
Hello,

Can any any of you let me know of a shop in NCR selling Orbital (rotary) polisher machine (or even a D/A polisher) and the appropriate cutting and finishing pads? I can see some machines being sold on eBay, but would like to touch and feel the machine before buying.

Thanks!
Are you reffering to the same ones used in the authorized service centre's for wax polishing etc?

If yes,You can find them in sec 16 noida car market as well.
noidaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 11:14   #133
Senior - BHPian

on monday I went to my favorite accessories shop and he had put up a camp for what they called body glass coating. Not sure if its same a teflon coating. They did that as sample for the left fender of my car. And feel following:

1. It shines more.
2. More smoother than other areas
3. Cleaning dust on that area is easy than other areas.
4. They mentioned that it will save from minor scratches and swirl marks.

But cost : 4000 Rs

Is it that useful ?
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 11:38   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
on monday I went to my favorite accessories shop and he had put up a camp for what they called body glass coating. Not sure if its same a teflon coating. They did that as sample for the left fender of my car. And feel following:

1. It shines more.
2. More smoother than other areas
3. Cleaning dust on that area is easy than other areas.
4. They mentioned that it will save from minor scratches and swirl marks.

But cost : 4000 Rs

Is it that useful ?
It is too expensive if it is teflon coating. Between, which is your favourite accessory shop?

I went for 3M car polish from hot tracks in old madras road recently. Cost is 2900, but the finish is not as good as last time. All the swirl marks have gone.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 11:42   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
It is too expensive if it is teflon coating. Between, which is your favourite accessory shop?

I went for 3M car polish from hot tracks in old madras road recently. Cost is 2900, but the finish is not as good as last time. All the swirl marks have gone.
Its in Gurgaon..

They are giving a guarantee of one year. When did you got it done?
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote