Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th January 2008, 22:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Strange thing happened after i cleaned the sensor on intake

guys !!
my alto has been fitted with replacement type K&N filter. till today my car used to roar. what i did today was i opened the air filter box cleaned all the surfaces from inside. i also cleaned the filter ribs.
then what i did was put my hand inside the air hose connecting the filter box and throttle body in which the air flow sensor is present. i found that it was a bit greasy and sticky with some carbon deposits. i think it was due to oil that was on K&N filter.
then what i did was i removed the air sensor by pulling the plug out.it was easy. i cleaned the tip with a clean cloth.it was a fibre kind sensor.

after this i put it back and started the engine...since then the engine is not roaring.its running very smooth. the speed has not reduced but i dont know why the engine is running so smooth.

is it normal or something has gone wrong? please help
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 22:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
guys !!
but i dont know why the engine is running so smooth.

First of all are you complaining that your car is running smooth???

AFAIK I think it is pretty normal, K&N Replacement filters will not generate much roar.
speedmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 22:19   #3
BHPian

Congrats. Just enjoy the drive and the music.

Nothing is wrong with your car.

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 22:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

man i am not complaining that my car is running smooth. i am worried that it is sucking more fuel than air. and so running smooth. has something happened to that damn sensor?
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 23:11   #5
BHPian

one thing is when you put back the sensors always make sure your sensors are dry i.e, make sure no moisture or water is present or your ecu get the wrong signals.

happened to me once.
pawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 19:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
guys !!
my alto has been fitted with replacement type K&N filter. till today my car used to roar. what i did today was i opened the air filter box cleaned all the surfaces from inside. i also cleaned the filter ribs.
then what i did was put my hand inside the air hose connecting the filter box and throttle body in which the air flow sensor is present. i found that it was a bit greasy and sticky with some carbon deposits. i think it was due to oil that was on K&N filter.
then what i did was i removed the air sensor by pulling the plug out.it was easy. i cleaned the tip with a clean cloth.it was a fibre kind sensor.

after this i put it back and started the engine...since then the engine is not roaring.its running very smooth. the speed has not reduced but i dont know why the engine is running so smooth.

hello
the sensor u removed is the IAT thats intake air temp. if u disconected the wire and have put it back the ecu stores the fault code. that the IAT is missing even if u have connected. u have to scane the ecu and erase the trouble code and ur done
armotosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 01:06   #7
BHPian

hey as memntioned to your earlier that sensor is an iat,but if there was a trouble code then an engine check light would pop up on the dash since nothing of that sort is mentioned here i believe everything is ok,you probably got the roar earlier may be because your air box cover was loosely fitted,now that its all in place your car seems to be moving smooth and fine so enjoy it,just my two bits,cheers,happy revving..!
dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 00:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Did you touch the element. They are very sensitive. Usually they are supposed to be cleaned by a spray.

Is your FE fine?
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote