Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2016, 00:31   #346
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,787
Thanked: 5,343 Times
Default Re: Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Timing belt changes need a certain level of expertise. I've seen camshafts broken because of faulty TB fitment.
i would agree. Depending on the car/engine, you need a lot of expertise, proper instruction and in certain cases special tools.

a lot of the instruction can be found on the internet these days, but I would be careful when it comes to timing belts. You get it slightly wrong you could destroy the engine. So you better know what you are doing

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 13:04   #347
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What you'll have to do is, raise the car using jack stands;

At the base of the radiator you'll find a plug like thing. Pull it out to drain all the coolant during this time keep the coolant reservoir cap open so the flow is continuous.

I think the ratio of water : coolant is 1:1.
Thank you, Anurag.
So Swift VDi doesn't have any radiator cab like other cars, it is only Coolant tank Cap? I am asking this question because i am planning to flush the radiator using running tap water into the radiator while engine is idle.
Can you please put the steps to flush the radiator on my Swift Vdi.
prasad029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 12:50   #348
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Post Car Maintenance schedules?

I have a 10 year old Santro xing and I am regular about service schedules with the company dealership. After reading through some of the threads here, I feel the service guys do only the basic things needed. For example, transmission fluid to be changed every 2 years or clutch oil to be changed every year is not looked into.

I tried using the search function, but was not able to find a list of car maintenance that needs to be done along with the frequency. Can someone point to such a list specifically for Indian driving conditions?

I do mostly urban driving on this car.
sridharj77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 14:33   #349
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Car Maintenance schedules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharj77 View Post
I have a 10 year old Santro xing and I am regular about service schedules with the company dealership. After reading through some of the threads here, I feel the service guys do only the basic things needed. For example, transmission fluid to be changed every 2 years or clutch oil to be changed every year is not looked into.

I tried using the search function, but was not able to find a list of car maintenance that needs to be done along with the frequency. Can someone point to such a list specifically for Indian driving conditions?

I do mostly urban driving on this car.
Thanks Mods for merging the question with an awesome thread from GTO! From the list, I see that it it vital that we go with the same service centre to ensure that they do the additional things in defined intervals.

I have to look at the last 4-6 receipts to check what was covered by the regular services.
sridharj77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 11:13   #350
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,058
Thanked: 935 Times
Default Re: Car Maintenance schedules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharj77 View Post
I have a 10 year old Santro xing and I am regular about service schedules with the company dealership. After reading through some of the threads here, I feel the service guys do only the basic things needed. For example, transmission fluid to be changed every 2 years or clutch oil to be changed every year is not looked into.

I tried using the search function, but was not able to find a list of car maintenance that needs to be done along with the frequency. Can someone point to such a list specifically for Indian driving conditions?

I do mostly urban driving on this car.
I have no idea of Santro, but for all the Maruti cars, the Owner's Manual has a table of routine service. The schedule has both the elapsed time as well as the running milage. Check the Santro owner's manual, the chart should be there.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 21:48   #351
BHPian
 
anoop_gkris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 50
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist

Thought to make a good use of a Sunday to try to clean the wheels. It looked only like plain dirt that could be soaped and brushed away, but things turned out to be different.
Started with pouring some water on the wheels to make them wet. Then foamed some shampoo on it and scrubbed it well with one of those Gala(i love these folks) brushes. After things started drying up i was in for a negative surprise. Now the wheels seems to be all of brown-olive colour (check out the attachment). Seems like the scrubbing coated the grime evenly onto the entire wheel.
Saw some videos on Youtube (Chris) that mentioned about polishes that would keep the wheels black. Has anyone tried with a local good brand here? Also, would like to first clean off all the dirt first before doing that. Has anyone advise about the process, things involved? Wanted to make it a simple affair.
Thanks for hearing some of these Sunday ramblings.
Attached Thumbnails
Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist-i20wheel1_lr.jpg  

anoop_gkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 12:24   #352
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: KA-03
Posts: 463
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Car Maintenance schedules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharj77 View Post
Thanks Mods for merging the question with an awesome thread from GTO! From the list, I see that it it vital that we go with the same service centre to ensure that they do the additional things in defined intervals.

I have to look at the last 4-6 receipts to check what was covered by the regular services.
Check this for Accent -
Page 121 - http://customercare.hyundai.co.in/up...ual/accent.pdf

There should be a similar table in your user manual. You might find it online if you have misplaced it.
sriturl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 12:39   #353
BHPian
 
prithm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 319
Thanked: 191 Times
Default Re: Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop_gkris View Post
Has anyone tried with a local good brand here? Also, would like to first clean off all the dirt first before doing that. Has anyone advise about the process, things involved? Wanted to make it a simple affair.
Thanks for hearing some of these Sunday ramblings.
I cannot guarantee, but this worked for me to remove the road grime off my tyres after a quick 1400 round trip between Hyderabad-Bengaluru.

I first made sure that the tyres were wet by rubbing with mild brush with just plain water.

Then made a 40:60 concentration degreaser (I faintly remember Autofresh) and sprayed after the water dried off the tyre.

Let it rest for few minutes while I attended to other tyres.

By the time I circled back to first tyre, I could see the grime melting away over the allows and dripping on ground. But since I had to protect the alloy from extended exposure to degreaser, I immediately poured water and rinsed it off.

This actually saved me quite sometime and efforts too. But I avoid it since I really dont want my alloys to look faded and use this as last step when the tyre looks really brown.

Again. Do this only if you are confident. Alloys do lose sheen if they are soaked in degreaser for long.
prithm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 12:56   #354
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,058
Thanked: 935 Times
Default Re: Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist

I find that pressure wash at service centre or petrol pumps cleans the tyres perfectly, as well as cleaning the mud under wheel arches.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 16:16   #355
BHPian
 
anoop_gkris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 50
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
I first made sure that the tyres were wet by rubbing with mild brush with just plain water. Then made a 40:60 concentration degreaser (I faintly remember Autofresh) and sprayed after the water dried off the tyre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I find that pressure wash at service centre or petrol pumps cleans the tyres perfectly, as well as cleaning the mud under wheel arches.
Thanks folks, I'll try out both of these. Haven't pressure washed the car since a long time.
anoop_gkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine Oil Change : Paid Service vs Buying Oil yourself vs Full DIY neosmart Technical Stuff 76 19th August 2015 18:01
Swift Vxi - 3 years old & low mileage - Checklist for the upcoming service ece2k2 Technical Stuff 0 2nd February 2009 16:44
Palio Service checklist amitverma Technical Stuff 18 22nd May 2008 16:44
Zen to complete 50k on Odo - A Service Checklist Required nicejits Technical Stuff 2 28th February 2008 10:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks