Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th February 2015, 17:31   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Life of MJD engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
I recently hired a taxi at Trivandrum airport and it was a Vista MJD. I was chatting with the driver and he said the engine has run 1.7 lakh kilometres and there are no issues except that it sips about 100 ml more oil. I forgot to ask him about suspension overhauls.

Pradeep
I have seen MJD's with 2L or more that do not consume any engine oil.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 21:39   #32
bkc
BHPian

Smile Re: Life of MJD engine

Sorry for bumping on old thread, I had been to MASS, to sort out some issue on my swift and casually enquired the service manager about the life of DDIS engines , he said, it lasts more than 3lac kms without any engine work, by following regular maintenance.
He even showed me a detail of a Swift, owned by some private customer, the car had run 308510kms without any engine work and serviced at Mandovi, regularly.

The below is the screenshot of the last service, he showed me the service records too.

Life of MJD engine-ddis.jpg
Hope, it means a lot for all DDIS/MJD owners.
bkc is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 07:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
he said, it lasts more than 3lac kms without any engine work, by following regular maintenance.
As I'm going to be a mjd owner shortly, this news really nice to hear. Thanks for sharing.

That swift owner and the mandovi service center both did a good job by doing the regular service "properly".
EPMV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 08:45   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
Sorry for bumping on old thread, I had been to MASS, to sort out some issue on my swift and casually enquired the service manager about the life of DDIS engines , he said, it lasts more than 3lac kms without any engine work, by following regular maintenance.
He even showed me a detail of a Swift, owned by some private customer, the car had run 308510kms without any engine work and serviced at Mandovi, regularly.

The below is the screenshot of the last service, he showed me the service records too.

Attachment 1600935
Hope, it means a lot for all DDIS/MJD owners.
I would agree with this. When I went to get my Vista serviced I saw another Vista there is very good condition and the owner who was standing beside the car said his car had done 2.5 lakh kms. I did not believe it and had to check for myself, and was surprised to see the odometer well over 2.5 lakh kms and the engine was untouched... Besides the regular engine servicing there was little else that was done.

So yes 2.5 to 3 lakh kms is definitely possible without opening up the engine.
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 08:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

I know of an Indigo ( spoil yourself) that is close to 5,00,000kms without an engine overhaul.The DCO (driver - cum - owner ) changes the oil religiously every 5000 kms.

So MJDs should last at least that much.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 12:26   #36
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I know of an Indigo ( spoil yourself) that is close to 5,00,000kms without an engine overhaul.The DCO (driver - cum - owner ) changes the oil religiously every 5000 kms.

So MJDs should last at least that much.
Great to hear that! I love the space of Indica so much and the comfort is also very good as a passenger (Ola experiences), but, I was personally scared of the engine; reason- Too many Indica engines at Shivajinagar, auto market.

Reasons for those may be:
  • Sales numbers were high for Indica, those days; hence, the scrap rate was more.
  • Engine not so reliable, but, it was the famous diesel car those days.
  • It was used extensively for taxis hence, the running was more.

These are just my impressions and nothing against the car/owners.
bkc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 10:42   #37
BHPian

Default Re: Excessive engine oil consumption in the VAG TSI engines

We have been discussing the oil consumption issue for a fair amount of time. Does anyone have any technical clarification regarding the issue? I have been facing the oil consumption issue for my Linea 1.3 MJ after I switched to Mobil delvac 1. I had tried to get a technical explanation to the issue, till now I have not got any concrete one.
My history with oil consumption is as follows,
1. @ 75000 I have used the bosch engine flush and changed the oil to Mobil Delvac 1.
2. Oil consumption begins. (Before this process I have oil consumption with stock oil of 800 ml per 15K KMS. This is an acceptable one).
3. Oil consumption started and the level was 1 liter per 1000 KM.
4. Decided to change the oil separator after hearing from Tbhp member.
5. Changed the oil separator including the rubber pipes.
6. No change in oil consumption.
7. Had a technical talk with http://www.paramountautozone.com/Trouble_shooting.html regarding the turbo. But nothing matched to give us evidence of issue.
8. At last it was decided that we will switch back to the stock engine oil and see if there is any change in oil consumption.
9. @ 110778 I have now switched back to stock oil of fiat and now I have driven 350 kms till now, no reduction in oil level. Keeping my fingers crossed to see how much it will consume when I hit 1000 km after oil change.
10. Now my odo reading is 111128.
This is my experience with oil consumption.
harryms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 17:44   #38
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Excessive engine oil consumption in the VAG TSI engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryms View Post
We have been discussing the oil consumption issue for a fair amount of time. Does anyone have any technical clarification regarding the issue? I have been facing the oil consumption issue for my Linea 1.3 MJ after I switched to Mobil delvac 1. I had tried to get a technical explanation to the issue, till now I have not got any concrete one.
My history with oil consumption is as follows,
1. @ 75000 I have used the bosch engine flush and changed the oil to Mobil Delvac 1.
Moving to synthetic at high mileage is not really a good idea (atleast in my experience), most often the normal wear and tear plus the dislodging of sludge due to flushing will result in more consumption of the synthetic oil.

I would recommend you to try Mobil Delvac MX, which is semi synth and equally good. Cheaper and has given good results with the MJD engines.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote