Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 16th January 2008, 22:26   #1
BHPian

Default Life of MJD engine

1.3 MJD is a hot topic these days ( ever since DDis swift arrived & now Palio + new Indica are going to have the same heart), as a potential buyer, some of the questions on this engine are :
  • How many km this engine should last as compared to its petrol counterparts? eg. suzuki's 1.3 ltr engine ( used in esteem)
  • After how many km overhaul would become necessary?
Several times, i have noticed thick black smoke bellowing from the tail-pipe in so called modern diesel cars ( Swifts, fiestas, vernas & some bigger ones like Endaevour, Innova etc.) when subjected to sudden acceleration.
Does this happens because diesel emissions are more visible than petrol emissions? I mean the the petrol cars might be emitting the same amout of gases but mostly unvisible.
Guys, pl. share your views!

Last edited by breezydrive : 16th January 2008 at 22:32.
breezydrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 22:32   #2
BHPian

sir, firstly black smoke from diesel engine does not ALWAYS mean a problem. Black smoke you see is unburnt diesel. It might mean some thing as simpe as a unclean air filter. Or the driver might have just gotten too happy and stepped on the acc pedal. A blue or a blueish white smoke is more ominous than black smoke.

I have heard that the quality of diesel needed for these crdi engines is not really available in india. The sulphur content in our diesel is very high I am told. I have also noticed pungent smell of sulphur while standing behind scorpio crde cars

This high sulphur diesel is said to have an adverse impact on the diesel pumps

Last edited by rrnsss : 16th January 2008 at 22:34.
rrnsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 09:00   #3
BHPian

sir,cant predict much about the life of the MJD engine other that that it seems to be refined enough to give you atleat 100000kms service. as Mr subramaniam put it rightly you should be more worried abt the fuel pump failing rather than the engine.And trust me, that can put a deep dent in your pocket too.
As for CRDi engines, accent CRDi engines are known to fail at around 80000 kms. (based on information from hyundai dealer service personnel)
sureshkishore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 09:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
I have heard that the quality of diesel needed for these crdi engines is not really available in india. The sulphur content in our diesel is very high I am told. I have also noticed pungent smell of sulphur while standing behind scorpio crde cars

This high sulphur diesel is said to have an adverse impact on the diesel pumps
This pungent smell is very evident even with the Swift DDiS as well as the Getz CRDI

Im using Indian Oil Regular Diesel. Any tips for ensuring the health of the diesel pump?
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 09:53   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

With proper maintainence, I don't see any reason why modern diesels shouldnt last upto atleast 1.5 - 2.0 lac kilometers.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 10:05   #6
BHPian

Heard that the MJD engine has a long life more than 1.5L KM.

"
Fiat also says that the new engine is low-maintenance, and designed not for the usual 150,000km of working life, but for 250,000km, or more than 155,000 miles. Over that distance, in fact, the mechanical parts should need no maintenance at all, not even a fan belt change, and the low-viscosity engine oil ought to be changed at intervals extended to over 18,000 miles."

Source: Fiat Back To Small Cars And Diesels | Road Tests, Auto Features

Last edited by rapideffect : 17th January 2008 at 10:09. Reason: due to err in typing
rapideffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 10:15   #7
BHPian

I know someone who has run a Swift DDIS about 60,000 kms (more than 10,000 a month of travel). There have been absolutely no problems with the engine and it runs quite smoothly. He's very happy with the drive and the FE. However, he's had a lot of problems with the suspension and related parts from the beginning - but thats a MUL quality control problem.
jaibir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 11:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

how can we predict the life of something which hasnt been launched till date.the life of any engine or component would be directly proportional to how you use it and how well you maintain it.please refrain from comenting on some products which you are not directly involved or do not have a prior expierience.all modern diesels should have good life can be a generalised statement of no harm.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 11:52   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
how can we predict the life of something which hasnt been launched till date.the life of any engine or component would be directly proportional to how you use it and how well you maintain it.please refrain from comenting on some products which you are not directly involved or do not have a prior expierience.all modern diesels should have good life can be a generalised statement of no harm.
ram
Although I agree with your comment but what about the line highlighted ? Is it not the same engine that lies in the VDI ?
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 14:45   #10
BHPian

I think it would be very useful to many of tbhp members if we can scientificaly determine which brand of diesel has the lowest sulphur content
rrnsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 15:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Reguler maintenance like Air Filter, oil filter, reguler oil change will sure makes any Car runs more then 150000 KM and Diesel engines are known for their low RPM so less wear n tear(may be high compression will equalize it with Petrol engines) still you cant expect less then 150000 KM of service from modern diesel machines.
My Omni did 225000 KM before complete overhaul.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 19:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
I think it would be very useful to many of tbhp members if we can scientificaly determine which brand of diesel has the lowest sulphur content
Yes saaaaaar, that would be good. Unfortunately im the arty-farty type with not too much pshynteaphik knawlage. How can we go about this?
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 20:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Maruti service says that the DDiS is perfectly reliable upto 1lakh kms. Since they run on timing chains, they do not require a change before that.

What I do not understand is the generalised statement that DDiS and the Palio MJD engines are the same. They are made at different plants, Will they not use different components? That would mean Palio, swift and indica will have the same spare part prices. Someone has more info?
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 20:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That would mean Palio, swift and indica will have the same spare part prices. Someone has more info?
How will all the cars have the same spares cost even if they have the same engine? Wont different manufacturers use different vendors? Also manufacturers would want to lure in buyers by attractively pricing the spares prices with respect to competition. Companies like Tata and MSIL will be able to price the spares more competitively as they have a mass market share as compared to Fiat. Also engine components are same in the Indica Quadra Jet, Swift DDIS and Fiat Palio MJD, and its not often that engine components are required.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 21:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

An Indica engine inspite of all the abuse and minimal service, lasts for atleast 1.5 lakh kilometers, so we can safely assume the MJD will last, atleast for 1.5 Lakh kilometers with regular maintenance.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote