Team-BHP - Accent Engine failure after service
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Accent Engine failure after service (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/34523-accent-engine-failure-after-service.html)

Guys,

Got my Accent GLX serviced at Sreenath Hyundai on 10th January. They coaxed me into taking an AMC and getting a Magnetic Fuel saver also installed. There was also a small tear in the exhaust which I declined to replace as they were quoting 6500 and the entire bill [including insurance renewal] was going beyond my budget.

Collected the car on 12th Jan. Within a day, the car started knocking. The frequency of knocking increased on Tuesday and the car refused to start when I stopped on the roadside to take a call. Suspecting a battery failure, I had a local mechanic check it out. But the battery was ok and car started after 10 mins.

On Wednesday the knocking was ridiculously loud and I had to keep the rpms high to prevent the engine from dying which it did when I tried parking. Had to wait 15 mins before it would start. There was a burning smell and smoke from the engine compartment.

Took it to Shreenath motors the next day. They said that Oil was not flowing properly in the engine and it may be a fuel pump problem. This was on 17th. The next day, they called me saying that it was a problem with the CKP sensor. On Friday, when I called up, they said that the engine had failed the compression test and they were opening it up.

Today is Monday and I have not received any inputs from them. They have promised me the report today and estimated that the cost might touch 60000, not to mention that it will take a week or more.

Has anyone else faced such a problem? Does it have anything to do with the Magnetic fuel convertor? Will insurance cover these repairs?

Had just completed a trip from Mumbai to TVM and back with a total running of 5000 kms in 2 weeks. But the car ran smooth as butter the entire trip. Even had the Hyundar A.S.S. in TVM check up the vehicle while I was there. Also, the car has crossed 80000kms and is a 2002 model.

Need help desperately.please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmanish76 (Post 695274)
Guys,

nt.

Took it to Shreenath motors the next day. They said that Oil was not flowing properly in the engine and it may be a fuel pump problem. This was on 17th. The next day, they called me saying that it was a problem with the CKP sensor. On Friday, when I called up, they said that the engine had failed the compression test and they were opening it up.

Also, the car has crossed 80000kms and is a 2002 model.

Need help desperately.please:

Hi,

He might be referring to Oil Pump failure and not fuel pump. Ask them what is the compression reading on your cylinders and did they take your permission to open the engine. Your compression might be weak as per the kms run and if poorly maintained but cannot suddenly become weak in 2 days unless some damage has occurred.

In any case assuming the engine needs work the quote they are giving you is way too high. Should ideally cost approx 30-35k for a engine overhaul with parts. Insurance will not cover this. Shouldn't the AMC that you signed up for cover this

Viper

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmanish76 (Post 695274)
Guys,
Got my Accent GLX serviced at Sreenath Hyundai on 10th January. They coaxed me into taking an AMC and getting a Magnetic Fuel saver also installed.

This Magnetic fuel saver thing sounds like a con job. On the bright side, the only damage that it has done is probably limited to your wallet.

Dont want to preach after the event, but why didn't you take the car to the workshop as soon as the knocking started.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spadival (Post 695397)
This Magnetic fuel saver thing sounds like a con job. On the bright side, the only damage that it has done is probably limited to your wallet.

Dont want to preach after the event, but why didn't you take the car to the workshop as soon as the knocking started.

Hi,

The knocking was negligible on the first day and I assumed it was due to the magnetic fuel saver which states in the card that performance will drop for first 2000kms.

On day two when the engine died, I assumed it was a battery problem. The knocking was there but only when the rpms dropped. Felt it might be a fuel issue as well.

It was on day three when the knocking became severe and smoke emanated from the engine that I realized something was wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper (Post 695286)
Hi,

He might be referring to Oil Pump failure and not fuel pump. Ask them what is the compression reading on your cylinders and did they take your permission to open the engine. Your compression might be weak as per the kms run and if poorly maintained but cannot suddenly become weak in 2 days unless some damage has occurred.

In any case assuming the engine needs work the quote they are giving you is way too high. Should ideally cost approx 30-35k for a engine overhaul with parts. Insurance will not cover this. Shouldn't the AMC that you signed up for cover this

Viper

They will be giving me the report today. They did take my permission to open the engine. Due to work I could not visit the workshop and was in touch on phone.

Am assuming the damage occurred on day 2 and 3 or driving when the oil pump did not function. The Service advisor stated that the rings may have to be replaced.

If an engine overhaul is so expensive, what would be the actual cost of a new engine? Can I fit the 1.6 ltr DOHC from the Accent Tornado in such a case? Forgive the question if it is a foolish one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmanish76 (Post 695526)
They will be giving me the report today. They did take my permission to open the engine. Due to work I could not visit the workshop and was in touch on phone.

Am assuming the damage occurred on day 2 and 3 or driving when the oil pump did not function. The Service advisor stated that the rings may have to be replaced.

If an engine overhaul is so expensive, what would be the actual cost of a new engine? Can I fit the 1.6 ltr DOHC from the Accent Tornado in such a case? Forgive the question if it is a foolish one.

U should have visted the workshop and checked out the engine compression figures for yourself.Replacing piston rings wont cost u 35.How much did he tell u for replacing the piston rings?
the cost of a engine from the accent tornado will be more than the actual value of your whole car right now..u still want to do it?
Engine overhaul is not that expensive if you get it done from outside the authorised service station.U can get hyundai original parts and go to a competent mechanic who can do an overhaul for u.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmanish76 (Post 695517)
Hi,

The knocking was negligible on the first day and I assumed it was due to the magnetic fuel saver which states in the card that performance will drop for first 2000kms.

Ok.. What does this Mag fuel saver do exactly.. in mechanical terms. Did they have to mess around in the engine bay to fit this thing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by humyum (Post 695535)
U should have visted the workshop and checked out the engine compression figures for yourself.Replacing piston rings wont cost u 35.How much did he tell u for replacing the piston rings?
the cost of a engine from the accent tornado will be more than the actual value of your whole car right now..u still want to do it?
Engine overhaul is not that expensive if you get it done from outside the authorised service station.U can get hyundai original parts and go to a competent mechanic who can do an overhaul for u.

Unfortunately, after returning to Office, did not get enough free time to visit the workshop which is where I have made a mistake.

Would you have any idea on the actual cost of the Tornado engine and where it might be available?

Any downsides in the long run of having the engine opened up?

Quote:

Originally Posted by spadival (Post 695544)
Ok.. What does this Mag fuel saver do exactly.. in mechanical terms. Did they have to mess around in the engine bay to fit this thing?

They claim that it reduces carbon deposits and in the long run makes the engine run smoother and more fuel efficient. From the looks of it they have attached the device using plastic tags to the fuel lines coming from the engine block.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmanish76 (Post 695695)
They claim that it reduces carbon deposits and in the long run makes the engine run smoother and more fuel efficient. From the looks of it they have attached the device using plastic tags to the fuel lines coming from the engine block.

Magnetic FuelSaver, other FuelSavers and Fuel Optimizers.

And, believe it or not, patents for it -
Magnetic fuel line device - Google Patents
Electromagnetic device for the ... - Google Patents
Fuel activation apparatus using ... - Google Patents

There are even more patents on the first link.

And more importantly, some kind soul needs to write up an article on "How not to modify your car" here

Edit: @tmanish Is it possible that the Magnetic Fuel thingy caused a block in the fuel line? If the official service centre gave it to you, suggest you tell them that you are writing to Hyundai about the engine failure caused by the Magnetic Fuel thingy. Least they should give you is a whopping discount on the job?

Quote:

They said that Oil was not flowing properly in the engine and it may be a fuel pump problem.
Unless they meant that as 2 seperate possibilities, they were taking you for a ride

Quote:

Originally Posted by tadukuttan (Post 695884)
Edit: @tmanish Is it possible that the Magnetic Fuel thingy caused a block in the fuel line? If the official service centre gave it to you, suggest you tell them that you are writing to Hyundai about the engine failure caused by the Magnetic Fuel thingy. Least they should give you is a whopping discount on the job?

Do you have the mail ID for Hyundai where I can register my complaint?

Have just received the quotation from Shreenath for the parts. It is as follows -

Piston 4 nos. - 3000
Piston ring 4 nos. - 3000
Engine Oil and Oil Filter - 800
Coolant - 1000
Timing belt and tensioner - 5500
Clutch - 10000
Main bearing, connecting bearing, Valve set, valve guide & valve seal, Gasket set, Trust watcher, Oil seal - 3 nos., Thinner, CKP sensor, Oil Pressure switch - 37600

TOTAL - 60000.

In addition to this, they have also mentioned that additional jobs will be charged extra and sales tax and vat are extra.

Could someone please confirm these prices on priority? please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmanish76 (Post 696489)
Do you have the mail ID for Hyundai where I can register my complaint?

I don't know one of one, but a quick google search gave this - Hyundai Motor India - Official Site of Hyundai Car Products

I am sure others on the forum will know better ways to get the attention of Hyundai India.

Could someone please confirm the pricing given above so that I may give the go ahead for the Hyundai guys to start the repairs?please:

Hi,

You are being overpriced and there is no need to change all the parts listed.

Viper

Quote:

Originally Posted by tadukuttan (Post 695884)

Yepp. The least it will do is put them on the defensive. Obviously, Hyundai India wont be too happy about their dealers selling suspect goods and also overcharging (as per Viper) the customer on parts .

Manish, Go ahead and complain to Hyundai.