Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2014, 20:57   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,592
Thanked: 920 Times
Default Re: Sound from front wheels while turning the steering at standstill

Don't know about Hyundai's - but Fiat vehicles are known for making a grinding sound when their front wheels are turned and the car is stationary - this was due to defective strut bearings , or elastic pads , as Fiat call them. The bearings become loose - I had this problem and it went away after replacing them.

Does the sound come when the car is stationary ?
sdp1975 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 21:24   #17
BHPian
 
Mr.ASG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: KL-31
Posts: 32
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Sound from front wheels while turning the steering at standstill

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
It could be a problem with the PS pump - since you say the sound comes from lock to lock, and the steering feels tight/hard.
Also, at standstill, you may have the same symptoms.
Thank you for the response, It might be a problem with Power steering Pump. I'm curious to know one more thing, Is their any lubrication required for steering linkages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Don't know about Hyundai's - but Fiat vehicles are known for making a grinding sound when their front wheels are turned and the car is stationary - this was due to defective strut bearings , or elastic pads , as Fiat call them. The bearings become loose - I had this problem and it went away after replacing them.

Does the sound come when the car is stationary ?
Yes when car is Stationary, there is sound when turning the wheels. I also have doubts about bearings too.
Mr.ASG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 00:55   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 1,905 Times
Default Re: Sound from front wheels while turning the steering at standstill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ASG View Post
I'm curious to know one more thing, Is their any lubrication required for steering linkages?
Not ordinarily.


Quote:
Yes when car is Stationary, there is sound when turning the wheels. I also have doubts about bearings too.
If your shocker / strut assembly bearings have failed , the steering will turn very hard - at all speeds including stationary.
Noise from the bearing will appear at all positions of the wheel.
Usually the kind of noise you describe - as happening at steering lock is more indicative of pump failure. I would advise to get it checked.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front wheel .steering column ticking sound.. Need urgent help!! DRC Technical Stuff 34 27th April 2015 11:31
AC tripping when the car is at a standstill revved_up Technical Stuff 57 27th November 2014 09:19
A sound while turning the steering wheel. InternetUser Technical Stuff 8 19th December 2012 09:21
Screeching sound in Santro while turning Lalvaz Technical Stuff 8 26th June 2008 13:35
Screeching sound while steering Vinay DL Technical Stuff 4 28th November 2007 10:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks