Team-BHP - burning smell in car cabin
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   burning smell in car cabin (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/34604-burning-smell-car-cabin.html)

hi friends there is a problem in my car from a few days there is a burning smell in car cabin . it is not smelt always but sometimes only when the car is moving . what could be the possible cause for this as smell is only there when the car is moving.

Hope you are not burning the clutch. Take your foot of the clutch pedal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 697245)
Hope you are not burning the clutch. Take your foot of the clutch pedal.

i immediately remove my foot from the clutch . can it be due to engine oil as it was in very bad condition and i replaced it yesterday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry2223 (Post 697250)
i immediately remove my foot from the clutch . can it be due to engine oil as it was in very bad condition and i replaced it yesterday.

that could have been the problem. How is it now after replacing the engine oil ?

i nearly drove me car 60 km after replacing engine oil smell was not there should i also get my clutch checked by mechanic .

You can check the brakes as well if they are touching the drums or the discs. And this can be a DIY. Check the wheels for free rotation.

Check brake jam
Exhaust leak coming inside the cabin
Wiring checked (for safety sake)
Oil leak/spilling to hot engine parts

Do you still have that smell ? Any updates ?

smell is there but i noticed it is only there when i turn my headlights on and sound system is on. got my clutch checked its ok.

sorry for double reply i got wiring also checked its fine all electricals are working and fuses are ok.

I was searching for a similar thread since many days to putup my problem.

My observations: -

The burning smell is there when ever I cross any limit (tahts why I was shoked when another thread says 100kmh in 2nd gear).

Normally when I am moving in my zen (curb stalk) and
  1. I accelerate it in 2nd gear and the speedo reaches 40 odd and I do get the smell.
  2. I am moving at 60 and after looking at the traffic ahead (the road was empty and suddenly all stand still ahead) I applied breaks with clutch pressed, my gear is in neutral and I am gradually reducing speed but this goes for minimum 100 meters I do get smell inside
  3. I am at stand still on a signal & I accelerate more than required in 1st and the speed is already 30+ :deadhorseand then I go to 3rd via 2nd smell is there inside
Am I burning my clutch plates or my breaks are jammed?please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modifiedsachin (Post 996767)
I was searching for a similar thread since many days to putup my problem.

My observations: -

The burning smell is there when ever I cross any limit (tahts why I was shoked when another thread says 100kmh in 2nd gear).

Normally when I am moving in my zen (curb stalk) and
  1. I accelerate it in 2nd gear and the speedo reaches 40 odd and I do get the smell.
  2. I am moving at 60 and after looking at the traffic ahead (the road was empty and suddenly all stand still ahead) I applied breaks with clutch pressed, my gear is in neutral and I am gradually reducing speed but this goes for minimum 100 meters I do get smell inside
  3. I am at stand still on a signal & I accelerate more than required in 1st and the speed is already 30+ :deadhorseand then I go to 3rd via 2nd smell is there inside
Am I burning my clutch plates or my breaks are jammed?please:

I am facing the exact same issue! So did you get it fixed? If yes, please do let me know how.
please:

I really do not know what I am stating will make sense, but

I got my zen checked completely, with clutch & brakes removed and kept on table for inspection. But apart from regular wear and tear nothing was wrong (My friend who owns a garage confirmed), and then we started looking for other things & what we found was a choked AC coil with lots of things with mud:Shockked:. We cleaned it completely (One guy at garage did it with caustic soda and it was really clean), and since then I could not get the smell.

Yes while doing so I got my break bleeding & clutch cable change.

And then after no smell unless I am at the speed of more than 120 @ 4th or 3rd gear :eek:

Once again I do not know if that was the problem but in my case smell was gone.