Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th June 2012, 12:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Rear bearing replacement at 43,000 kms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha09mel View Post
Digging out an old thread but it seems Honda car's are plagued with rear wheel bearings being worn out at such a short span.
Having driven my 2008 NHC ZX for 30k kms the right rear wheel bearing has worn out completely, the humming could be heard loud even with the a/c on.
After having sent the car to linkway honda at andheri they term it as natural wear and tear.
What I would like to know is:
Is it natural for the bearing to wear out at such a short span of time? Or could this be a case of manufacturing defect as it seems to be relatively common in most of the NHC ZX.
The Honda City ZX,the 10th Anniversary Celebrations one was plaqued with the Wheel Bearing Problem.
I got mine replaced after 80k and 4 years of usage.All of the Honda City ZX's in my family have had the problem of the Rear Wheel Bearings wearing out after 4 years of usage.The replacement costs around 7k.
cityvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 12:47   #32
BHPian

Seems to be a problem with all Honda Citys except the current generation. We had the City - the model before ZX series came out. The rear wheel bearings were replaced at 25K km. As usual, the Honda A-S-S was intent on charging a huge sum, so the work was done at a local known garage for 50% of the cost. We sold the car 6 months later due to recurring nagging issues.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 13:03   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
The Honda City ZX,the 10th Anniversary Celebrations one was plaqued with the Wheel Bearing Problem.
I got mine replaced after 80k and 4 years of usage.All of the Honda City ZX's in my family have had the problem of the Rear Wheel Bearings wearing out after 4 years of usage.The replacement costs around 7k.
Currently driving the 10th anniversary edition. So could be a possibility of a manufacturing defect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Seems to be a problem with all Honda Citys except the current generation. We had the City - the model before ZX series came out. The rear wheel bearings were replaced at 25K km. As usual, the Honda A-S-S was intent on charging a huge sum, so the work was done at a local known garage for 50% of the cost. We sold the car 6 months later due to recurring nagging issues.
Same is the case here, honda A-S-S seem to wash their hands off by stating it to be a natural wear and tear and replacement on chargeable basis.
Sha09mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 13:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

This is not entirely surprising to me.

I had to replace my OH City Type II front wheel bearings at around 20K kms. There was a low rumble whilst the wheels were turning, alignment would not hold and it was finally diagnosed as the front left wheel bearing on its way out. Had to replace the pair - L&R bearings after which the car behaved.

I've never had these problems with my Toyotas. Looks like Honda Siel are using bearings of less than desirable quality

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 14:07   #35
BHPian

Honda's reply on the possibility of bearing being worn out:

" There are some of possible factors such as accumulation of dust, formation of rust and water for its failure. When these elements (dust, rust and water) distress the bearing, rust and leak may take place which in turn can result to grease contamination in the bearing. When wheels (quite often in Mumbai) are dumped in water or mud, the bearing easily rust and for this reason it is vital that vehicle is thoroughly cleaned"

What are your suggestions?
Old 28th June 2012, 15:14   #36
BHPian

Isn't 80k kms and 4-5 years the average life of wheel bearings? I have had wheel bearings replaced on my M1000 at 35k kms and 6 years and my Corolla at 80k kms and 7 years.
flipsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:48   #37
BHPian

Update: After numerous email exchanged with Honda one2one, it has been agreed that 50% of the cost will be borne by Honda for the wheel bearing. Car is currently at Linkway andheri, where the work is being carried out.
Satisfied that Honda has agreed to bear half the cost.
Old 27th October 2012, 11:27   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I've never had these problems with my Toyotas.
I drive a Toyota Innova 2.5V Feb 2011 model just done 20,200km. Recently, I heard a rattling noise, especially in between 1st and 2nd gears at 1000RPM and reported at my 20K service yesterday. Their senior engineer took vehicle on a test drive and concluded that the right rear axle bearing was possible source! Nandi Toyota, A.S.S. is replacing the same under manufacturer warranty. I will post update on this once I get more info. My reading around indicates bad driving (I am not that), or potholed roads, water logged roads are probable causes for bearing damage. I add to that quality failure at bearing manufacturer end, after all within a batch there is bound to be some bad egg!

Just so it seems Toyota is not entirely without problems - perhaps, an exception, I hope.
dhuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 17:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
Just so it seems Toyota is not entirely without problems - perhaps, an exception, I hope.
Sorry to hear about your issues with the RWB, hope you get a replacement under warranty.

Mind you Toyota is not without its own faults and issues. Though I have never faced WB issues with my cars (2 Corollas till now), the Altis had a faulty front brake pad at delivery! Yes, the first batch of Altises (end Aug & Sept 2008 manufacture) had brake pads that screeched when the brakes were applied. They were replaced under warranty.

But believe me - Toyota's after-sales is above nearly every other car mfr in India. So I am confident that you will have a satisfactory solution. Do share an update with us once TKM decides on your faulty WB.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 22:08   #40
BHPian

@R2D2, Thanks! The part is being replaced under warranty. I was supposed to take delivery of my car today...didnt happen because of festival holiday for an 'authorized' supplier who apparently helps fit the bearing on to axle, again estimate given is 10min was not available. Just getting interesting. As pointed out by you, I am solely banking on the A.S.S. of Toyota here and it is all plain trust. I will hopefully get clear answers and some facts on Monday! If this thread is Honda specific, am I going OT? Someone please suggest if I should post about the wheel bearing issue here (Noise from the AXLE)?
dhuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 08:53   #41
BHPian

Default Issue With Ford Fiesta Service - Bearing Issue

I am having a problem with my Ford Fiesta 2009 model, when I bought this car I had a wheel pulling issue (to the left), that time went to multiple Ford service centers where I had involved the regional service manager from Ford as well, finally they interchanged the tires and managed to arrest the issue (it worked fine with only specific tire for specific wheel). They said that it was due to tire issue. I managed to run the car until 44K KMS.

Now, my car is due for a tire change, in the recent service I have been told that one of the front and one of the rear bearing has become faulty, I am little surprised as my assumption was that the bearings are supposed to last longer than 44K.

I have the following questions,

1. Whether Ford covered up the bearing issue (potential manufacturing defect) back then under the cover of tire issue.

2. Since my vehicle is not under warranty I need to pay 10K to get this resolved, Can I go for a tire change now or should I fix the bearing issue and then go for tire change

Need the advice of these forum members.
aravinrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 09:06   #42
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Issue With Ford Fiesta Service - Bearing Issue

It would be better if you first fix the bearing issue and then go for a tyre change
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 09:39   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravinrd View Post
1. Whether Ford covered up the bearing issue (potential manufacturing defect) back then under the cover of tire issue.

2. Since my vehicle is not under warranty I need to pay 10K to get this resolved, Can I go for a tire change now or should I fix the bearing issue and then go for tire change
Posting from Ford Extended Warranty Policy
Rear bearing replacement at 43,000 kms?-ford-extended-warranty.jpg
Tire wear due to wheel bearing manufacturing defect is covered under extended warranty till 40k km. You should have raised this issue atleast 4k km earlier.

And why 10k for 1 front & 1 rear wheel bearings? IIRC I bought Front wheel bearing (ABS version) for 1400~1500 (Non ABS version is less than 900 INR & common with Ikon) and another 1000 as labor (including wheel alignment) If the car is out of warranty I would suggest to get it done from outside garage.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 10:35   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravinrd View Post
I am having a problem with my Ford Fiesta 2009 model, when I bought this car I had a wheel pulling issue (to the left), that time went to multiple Ford service centers where I had involved the regional service manager from Ford as well, finally they interchanged the tires and managed to arrest the issue (it worked fine with only specific tire for specific wheel). They said that it was due to tire issue. I managed to run the car until 44K KMS.

Now, my car is due for a tire change, in the recent service I have been told that one of the front and one of the rear bearing has become faulty, I am little surprised as my assumption was that the bearings are supposed to last longer than 44K.
---------SNIP------------
SO youve just been "told" by ford ASC that the bearing is faulty?
Anything telling you that it actually is? Hot hub, noise, rginds anything?

As far as my experience with Ford's ASC goes, theyre the biggest bunch of inept, untrained monkeys, who diagnose colds caused by piles.

This is not a major issue, and any good FNG will diagnose and fix it for you. FYI, I changed my wheel bearing, rear left only, for 2000 bucks all inclusive.
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 16:37   #45
BHPian

Default Re: Rear bearing replacement at 43,000 kms?

My old Ford Ikon had left rear bearing changed every 40K Kms. They used to cost me 3-4 K including labor. The noise used to be a big booming noise and you will approach the service station yourself and not wait for the service engg to tell you.
I wonder how all other bearings worked fine for 90k+ kms and only the left rear one got replaced twice. I had my wheel alignment and balancing done correctly every 10K kms.
sriram.raghavan is offline   Reply With Quote