Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th December 2007, 06:38   #46
BHPian

If it is more than 2 or 3 months, i would also suggest to jack up the car (so the tyres are not stressed out at the same point for a few months). Else, if it can be moved around a little bit, it would be good for tyres, but not much use for the battery.
deep_bang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 07:16   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Dont think there will be too much of a problem (since your vehicle is new). Wash the vehicle properly before leaving. Preferrably get the underbody washed. Also, battery drainage is going to be a problem. Either disconnect the battery, or ask your wife to start it at once in a while for some duration.

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 07:41   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ask your wife to start it at once in a while for some duration.
if started, then will need to let it idle for a while to recoup the charge lost during starting. Better disconnect the battery.

Cover the car if possible.

If you cant put it up on jacks, over-inflate the tyres.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 07:49   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
if started, then will need to let it idle for a while to recoup the charge lost during starting.
Pardon my ignorance:

But, if the car is not started at all, wont all the engine oils settle down in the oil-sump? And when the engine is started, it will run a few seconds without oil, till the oil gets circulated properly. Is this true?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 08:08   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

@CraZxY dRiVerR, the engine oil is always in the oil sump. Why should it be any different in this case ?
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 09:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

There is a thread on this subject.

The summary:-
1. Wash the car.
2. Fill up tank (to avoid fuel tank rusting)
3. Jackup the tyres (What if your 2 months get extended? It is a software project, after all.)
4. Disconnect the batteries.
5. Remove the HU face plate.
6. If security in your parking area requires, get a gear lock installed and keep the car gear locked - other locks require electricity; and removing the jacks from the wheels and driving with a vehicles with full tank fuel is very easy for thieves.

HTH
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 10:19   #52
BHPian

I disagree with this. If you don't want to do it right, you can do nothing at all and when you come back and it doesn't start, just jump start it.

If you want to do it right, then the important thing is to connect the battery to a trickle charger/battery tender that will feed a tiny charge to the battery and keep it healthy. If you can't plug the car in, just remove the battery and hook it up with a battery tender.

Add some fuel stabilizer to the fuel tank. petrol is a mixture of many compounds and they are continuously evaporating. since they have different vapor pressures and boiling points, they evaporate at different rates. Given that the fuel system is not really sealed and vapor escapes, over time, the chemical composition of fuel in the car changes as the more volatile compounds escape before, and in larger quantities than the less volatile compounds.

if fuel stabilizer, like STA-BIL, is not available in India, try to leave very little fuel in the tank. when you start up the car, the first thing you should do is fill her up. This will ensure that she runs for the minimum duration of time on old cruddy fuel, and filling her up will quickly dissolve the old fuel.

Tyres: THe best thing you can do is lift her off the ground. DOn't leave her on jacks as they are unstable but rather on jack stands or solid stable blocks of some time. pumping up the tyres by a few PSI will make no difference. what makes a difference is not letting the same part of the tyre (the contact patch) experience uninterrupted deformation for a long time. If you can't lift the car, then just the tyres to recommended PSI and leave it.

regards.
Harbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 10:33   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
if started, then will need to let it idle for a while to recoup the charge lost during starting. Better disconnect the battery.

I mean no offence, but this is not correct. Idling speed does not produce enough voltage to provide significant charge to the battery. You should let it idle for a few seconds only, to let the oil cover all the surfaces that it has drained off and dried from, then immediately go for a drive to allow the oil to heat up very quickly and to quickly cover up and dissolve deposits from the surfaces that had been dry. Driving the car will also allow the alternator to generate enough current to charge up the battery.

but like I said, use a battery tender to keep the battery fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Pardon my ignorance:

But, if the car is not started at all, wont all the engine oils settle down in the oil-sump? And when the engine is started, it will run a few seconds without oil, till the oil gets circulated properly. Is this true?
Yes, it is correct that if the engine is not run for a long time, the oil will mostly settle down into the sump. but not all, as some localized pools of oil will remain in various spots of the engine. still for most purposes, yes, most oil will end up in the sump. THis is normally true in all circumstances, but usually, the longer an engine stays not run, the thinner the oil film of friction surfaces gets, till it gets so thin as to effectively become a non lubricated surfaces.

When an engine is started after a long time of not running, for the first second or so, as the oil system pressurizes, the engine will run for a second or two without enough oil on the friction surfaces.

This happens so rarely that the the net effect on engine wear and tear is very small. but its usually a good idea to use quality oil in general (I use synthetic oil - Mobil 1 in the MX-5 and Havoline in the Elise) and also to change oil and filter immediately after storing the car (after you have driven it a few miles to allow the hot oil to dissolve or wash away any deposits that may have accumulated during storage

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th November 2008 at 13:20. Reason: Old posts - but regardless, posts within 20mins have been merged.
Harbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 13:42   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Make sure you inflate the tyres with additional air.
And do get a car cover that fits well to keep it clean.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 14:37   #55
BHPian

The best thing you can do is ask your friend who knows driving to take out the car once a week for 5 - 10 Kms. Whatever precaution you take, if the car is left idle, it is sure to cause some problem or the other. This is the best and most practical solution.

Cheers!!
carlover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 15:27   #56
Senior - BHPian

No problem at all. I have left my vehicles for 3 months at times without disconnecting anything or inflating the tyres.

However it is recommended you dc the battery and do not keep the tank full. Just keep a few litres. Quarter of a tank should do.

But yes make sure, you wash the car thoroughly and cover it. If you do not have a cover -go and buy one and secure the MAN safely. This will be worth it. No scratches, or bird droppings or dust will harm your Man then

Cheers !!!

Last edited by vkochar : 4th December 2007 at 15:28.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 16:04   #57
Team-BHP Support

I left my car unused for 2 months.
All I did was
1. Disconnect the battery
2. Overinflate tires to 34psi

When I came back and plugged the battery, the car started immediately. I let if idle for 5 minutes. The fuel tank was 1/4th, I got her tanked up at the station 3kms away
The tires were at 28-29PSI(Tubeless tires).
the big problem? The drivers seat was covered in mild fungus, had to get interior washed.
I had kept silica gel in all pockets etc.,(got a huge 1kg bag of silica gel for car and house for 95rs) and the dashboard. No issues or molds there.
you can sprinkle anti fungal talcum powder on the upholstery.

I had kept the car covered, so no dust issues either.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 20:28   #58
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod - Threads merged. Please see the first 2 posts in this thread.

Please do a search before creating a new thread.

Also check out these threads > http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...an-1-year.html (What things can go wrong if a car is kept idle for more than 1 year?)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...os-don-ts.html

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th July 2008 at 12:37.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 12:15   #59
Senior - BHPian

I have left my car in my house parking with just the battery unplugged, half tank fuel and four 'rat cakes' place at the four corners.

Did not fill the tyre pressure to a bit extra or think of placing silica inside! :-(

Missed out this thread before my travel!!!
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 12:18   #60
Team-BHP Support

AS long as humidity levels are low, its okay. Silica gel is more useful in rainy season
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote