Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th February 2008, 23:58   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Ahh yes, thanks ...

This was only discovered in practice after airbags started to be used in Europe. I think there were some decapitations

grim.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 11:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrao View Post
NOTE: I have seen some cars in the USA with on/off feature for the airbag and advice the driver to turn it off when kids (more than 40 lbs) sit in the front seat. Don't know if this is being offered here in India.
That on/off feature is automatic and not driver selected. Like you said, the air bag turns on only when the passenger seat has a load of over 40 lbs. For all loads under 40, the airbag is automatically switched off.

Now to answer your actual question, what is the harm in having airbag as an additional safety feature even if you don't agree with its usefulness in city?
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 11:52   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

...there is still a switch to disable it.

Or there was on the UK cars I drove.

Hmmm.... In a country where many people won't even switch on the lights because they think it is costing them more, what chance they wouldn't disable the airbags?
Old 6th February 2008, 12:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

Have used the manual switch to turn off passenger airbag. Guess now they have progressed to having automatic switch off.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 13:22   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

I repeat my very important question: how can airbags not be useful in a city?

I wish some of you guys would try banging your heads a few times. Pick a wall. Please start gently; it hurts more than you think.
Old 6th February 2008, 14:37   #36
BHPian

If you do not wear seatbelts and if they are available in the car, you are no better than a Two Wheeler Owner who refuses to wear a helmet.
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 17:46   #37
BHPian

When I was doing a test-drive on a civic last week, the sales guy told me that the Airbags in civic dont deploy if you dont wear the seatbelts. Guess that makes some sense as you certainly dont want the airbag deploying in your face.

But I could not test it in the test-drive though
praveen_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 21:08   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

The airbag deploying in your face is better than your face deploying on the steering wheel/windscreen, I think.

Doesn't it all happen in milliseconds? It should reach you before you reach it.
Old 8th February 2008, 00:06   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The airbag deploying in your face is better than your face deploying on the steering wheel/windscreen, I think.

Doesn't it all happen in milliseconds? It should reach you before you reach it.
That's what the seat belts are for.. to prevent you to reach the airbag before it deploys. If your face deploys in the steering at low/medium speed you can get away with minor injuries because they'll crumple.

But at whatever speed, if the airbag deploys in your face, you are going to end up injured. The closer you are to the airbag when it deploys, more the seriousnes of the injury since they deploy at very high preassure and you dont want your face to take it. That's why seat belts are so so important if there's an airbag.
praveen_v is offline   Reply With Quote