Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2008, 11:45   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 240
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
If it is design parameter, then you cannot do anything. If all Civics have this, then why complain. You have not mentioned as to whether it is affecting your driving.
We don't have data to believe that its a design parameter. Honda has to respond with reasons. Till then we have every reason to consider it as an issue.

See my previous posting. I "feel" steering is tight on taking left turn as compared to right. Is this not a concern if true ?
swageo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 11:56   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
snaronikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,845
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
I just came back from the dealer's service station, and this issue is surprisingly expected. It seems its a design

Along with Service advisor, I checked 3 Civic (2 brand new, and one 2007 model) and all had this difference in height. It is about 2cm. Right hand side is lower that left hand side by 2cm. One possibility is that you have silencer on the right hand side, which is causing the spring to go down. We all know civic got a soft suspension.

All Civic owner, please check this. I am planning to write to Honda about this expected issue.
Make a hue. One more thing you can do is, as this is their design mistake, you can sue them. Put a case in customer court. Then they will wake up.

I don't know how Honda will respond if you write to them.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 12:03   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
If it is design parameter, then you cannot do anything. If all Civics have this, then why complain. You have not mentioned as to whether it is affecting your driving.
Has that been established yet?

Either way, I think Swageo should write to Honda because I haven't heard about this "design" bit in any other car. There should be some logic behind one side of the car being lower than the other. I'm wondering if 1100D has hit the nail on the head?

Last edited by suman : 7th February 2008 at 12:06.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 12:06   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
ram_hyundai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calicut ,trisur
Posts: 2,019
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

maybe thats true if the difference is just 2 cm but when the driver is in the car again some more difference would be there and considering the slant of almost all the roads to the left the car would balanced to atleast some extend.good design thought if it is true.and you would get the best observation t-bhp award for the year.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 12:59   #35
BHPian
 
Kontoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 105
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Hmm, come to think of it, even I had a similar issue with my Civic. The car would tilt ever so slightly to the left. However, it seems to have faded away now after 6500 kms and couple of free services. There was no wheel alignment carried out in any of the services though.
Kontoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 13:22   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 240
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

I called honda customer care and they promised that someone will get back to me soon with details. I will share the info with the forum. Till then, I will keep suspecting every aspect of my new Civic.

Two possible reason so far discussed are

1) Additional load of exhaust system causing the spring to go down
2) Intentionally made a small difference which will get adjusted with the road's slope
swageo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 13:56   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
RajaTaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tenkasi, TN
Posts: 1,069
Thanked: 338 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
I called honda customer care and they promised that someone will get back to me soon with details. I will share the info with the forum. Till then, I will keep suspecting every aspect of my new Civic.

Two possible reason so far discussed are

1) Additional load of exhaust system causing the spring to go down
2) Intentionally made a small difference which will get adjusted with the road's slope
Intentionally made difference to adjust with road slope..!!!! How can it get adjusted with the road slope? Does it mean the car will become perfectly flat or horizontal on a banked road? That means there should be no driver or passanger in the car? No cargo?

Because, If you sit in the car Driver-Only and measure the heights, it will be sure slump to one side (the side where you sit.) in any car...!!!

Have you ever got the door stuck to the platform pavement when you open the door and sit inside due to this slump..? I have...

So, what is this intentional slant is compensating is just a mystery to me...!!!
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 14:14   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 240
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Intentionally made difference to adjust with road slope..!!!! How can it get adjusted with the road slope? Does it mean the car will become perfectly flat or horizontal on a banked road? That means there should be no driver or passanger in the car? No cargo?

Because, If you sit in the car Driver-Only and measure the heights, it will be sure slump to one side (the side where you sit.) in any car...!!!

Have you ever got the door stuck to the platform pavement when you open the door and sit inside due to this slump..? I have...

So, what is this intentional slant is compensating is just a mystery to me...!!!
These are just thoughts while we wait for response.

I am taking extra care while I roll over a bump or even when I open the door. So far I have not come across the issue you have mentioned, but certainly possible. My old ikon had this problem. Its not an issue with the car, rather we have pavements that are unique in the world.
swageo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 15:38   #39
BHPian
 
cinclaturbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 185
Thanked: 72 Times
Default

@ swageo, Also check the camber of the rear right wheel with respect to the rear left.

I have a 1.8V civic done abt 1400kms, and found this issue with my car. The right rear wheel has a lot more (-ve) camber than the left wheel and also right rear is very slightly lower than the left rear.

Don't know if by design the right has more camber or the left rear has a defect. Will be taking the car for service soon. Will notify the dealer and post.

Cheers.

Last edited by cinclaturbo : 7th February 2008 at 15:56.
cinclaturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 15:49   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
RajaTaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tenkasi, TN
Posts: 1,069
Thanked: 338 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
These are just thoughts while we wait for response.

I am taking extra care while I roll over a bump or even when I open the door. So far I have not come across the issue you have mentioned, but certainly possible. My old ikon had this problem. Its not an issue with the car, rather we have pavements that are unique in the world.
Of course, it is sure not the problem in the car. I gave that as an example of how much the car slumps when you load/ unload compared to the road slope, that makes the car tilt from its C.G.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 15:50   #41
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 240
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinclaturbo View Post
@ swageo, Also check the camber of the rear right wheel with respect to the rear left.

I have a 1.8V civic done abt 1400kms, and found this issue with my car. The right rear wheel has a lot more (-ve) camber than the left wheel and also right rear is very slightly lower than the left rear.

Don't know if it by design the right has more camber or the left rear has a defect. Will be taking the car for service soon. Will notify the dealer and post.

Cheers.
I didn't notice the camber, but will check and let you know. But it could be an alignment issue.

Could you please measure how low rear right hand side is (driver's side). You can use a normal scale (1 feet or so) to do this. Mine was 2cm.

Also did you notice steering is harder when you turn left as compared to right. Drive on a straight smooth road at 30kmph and test this. I feel this issue too.
swageo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 16:07   #42
BHPian
 
cinclaturbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 185
Thanked: 72 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
Could you please measure how low rear right hand side is (driver's side). You can use a normal scale (1 feet or so) to do this. Mine was 2cm.
.

Mine is 12.5mm lower on the right side.
cinclaturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 10:06   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 240
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Reply from Honda

I have received reply from Honda, but not very useful. Reply says "15mm +/- to either is is within [FONT=Arial]permissible [/FONT]limits" and no need to worry about it. But I would appreciate that they have responded to me, though I had to make few phone calls.

Do we have any Honda engineers in this forum ?

I need to measure mine again as its was 20mm for me.
swageo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drive towards a Fort and a Beach Unplanned New Year trip to Bekal / Kasaragod! nandita_bayan21 Travelogues 12 27th January 2016 12:54
Mitsubishi ASK: Right car at the right time Muzungu The International Automotive Scene 4 22nd May 2010 18:05
New Civic AT or Civic MT suren181 Sedans 13 27th August 2007 17:09
India heading towards bigger car economy askicode The Indian Car Scene 5 23rd February 2007 18:53
accord is it right price and right time to buy used rubin2006 Luxury, Imports & Niche 15 6th December 2006 15:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks