Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th February 2008, 11:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Red face Loose Steering (Too much play in the steering)

My 2001 Alto Lx which has cloaked about 51,000 KMS is currently having too much play in the steering. This is best noticed at speeds of 45-60 KM/H.

I always do wheel alignment/balancing every 5000 KMS.

So what are the causes for Loose Steering ?

help...
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 18:08   #2
BANNED

get your whole steering setup checked by mechanic this may be due to wear.is there any another problem in steering i.e does the steering make a noise or vibrates too much over potholes
harry2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 19:14   #3
Team-BHP Support

There is a steering damper which can be tightened for loose steering, but if its free play then get the steering assembly serviced.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 19:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
There is a steering damper which can be tightened for loose steering, but if its free play then get the steering assembly serviced.
Yes have seen that damper thing being tightened to do minor adjustments to steering- happened to me at wheel alignment. The guy adjusted it to reduce the play/loose movement. But if its a considerable amount of play, then i think steering rack should be inspected to see if it is worn out- which should not happen at 51k unless you do a lot of tight cornering always and all the time.

Last edited by deetee : 7th February 2008 at 19:29. Reason: corrected typos.
deetee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 15:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Got the steering overhauled. There was also problem with the struts. Now the problem is gone for now !

Total cost : Rs.1010
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Default Swift Diesel - Steering Play

Hello.

I have a 2008 October Model Swift Diesel. The car's warranty expired last year in October and before that in 2011 May the entire steering assembly was replaced at around 40 thousand kilometres due to there being a constant 'khat khat' sound even after the damper was adjusted.

Now I was in UK for a year and my dad used to car for around 5 thousand kilometres in the entire year.

Now the car stands at 59500 km and there is a play in the steering wheel. It is around a little less than an 1 inch and manifests itself in such a way that in a parked car with the vehicle switched on, the steering moves very freely for a little less than an inch before the steering wheels turn.

When I gave it to Navneet for rectification, initially they thought it was a lose damper, but upon calling the service advisor now, he said, the steering assembly needs changing. I am perplexed at the thought of spending 25 + thousand on a steering assembly which was replaced just a year and some months back and has run around 19 thousand kilometres. The front end of the car was checked and no play found in ball joints or balancing rods.

I am going to pick the car up in sometime and the service advisor said the play has reduced as he has adjusted the damper but the problem can be 100% taken away only after replacement of the assembly.

I want to know how to go about with this issue now.
humyum is online now   Reply With Quote