Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th February 2008, 20:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Swfit Rear Arm Bent!!!!

Greeting to all T-Bhpians.

I met with an small accident where a motorcycle came and bumped into my rear left wheel.This caused the rear wheel to bent inside towards a little.This also caused my steering to Tilt towards and i had to keep the sterring a little towards the left to keep the car moving straight.I headed to my Workshop where the guy fixed the steering by opening it up and fixing some screws.They said that the Rear Wheel Dead Axle Tube had bent and need to be changed.After getting the part changed the car was ok and the rear tyres felt that they had straighten up.But when i got the alignment and balancing done at the car the steering again titled towards the left though the rear wheels seemed to be ok.

I cant understand what the problem is.Now when the bent tube is changed,What could else be the problem??The tyres should be straight.

Help please.

Last edited by m4ugr8 : 10th February 2008 at 20:59.
m4ugr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 20:59   #2
Team-BHP Support

Check if they really replaced the dead axle or meagerly tried to straighten it up. If they tried to straighten it up then the structural rigidity might be lost and the wheel will again tend to bend inwards after a few drives over rough roads.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 21:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

When you got the steering wheel tilt corrected your rear suspension arm was bent. So with an out of alignment suspension you got the steering tilt straightened from left to right.

After you got the rear suspension arm replaced the wheel alignment again changed and it returned to original specification.

And the steering also returned to the original position. But you had the steering adjusted to the right (to correct the tilt to the left) when the suspension was damaged and thus with a corrected suspension the steering is tilted more to the right.

It's just a matter of unscrewing the steering and again centering it. No big deal.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 21:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

It's just a matter of unscrewing the steering and again centering it. No big deal.
From the workshop after the suspension was replaced till the alighment shop the steering was fine.It was only after the Alignment that the steering again went to the left.So i dont think that unscrewing should be a problem.

Well i will check that the part was really changed or not.
Old 10th February 2008, 22:03   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
From the workshop after the suspension was replaced till the alighment shop the steering was fine.It was only after the Alignment that the steering again went to the left.So i dont think that unscrewing should be a problem.

Well i will check that the part was really changed or not.
It's caused by adjusting the steering with an out of alignment wheels.

I'm sure that there is nothing to be worried about. But get it checked for your satisfaction and peace of mind.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 23:01   #6
BHPian

Default Swift Rear Axle Tube

Hi, when you met with the crash aparently you rear axle tube got bent, to crrect this effect while driving you had to tilt the steering wheel to keep the car mooving straight . Eventually after the axle tube replacement this drag got rectified and was followed by alignment. It is very surprising that post alignment the steering wheel centering was not done as it part of the process(S.O.P stndard operating procedure). Just get it recentered and forget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
Greeting to all T-Bhpians.

I met with an small accident where a motorcycle came and bumped into my rear left wheel.This caused the rear wheel to bent inside towards a little.This also caused my steering to Tilt towards and i had to keep the sterring a little towards the left to keep the car moving straight.I headed to my Workshop where the guy fixed the steering by opening it up and fixing some screws.They said that the Rear Wheel Dead Axle Tube had bent and need to be changed.After getting the part changed the car was ok and the rear tyres felt that they had straighten up.But when i got the alignment and balancing done at the car the steering again titled towards the left though the rear wheels seemed to be ok.

I cant understand what the problem is.Now when the bent tube is changed,What could else be the problem??The tyres should be straight.

Help please.
alankarmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 00:46   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

if nothing works,call me and i'll take you to a really good workshop..
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 01:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

I dont know why but still i dont feel that changing the rear axle tube has solved the problem!!! The tyres still seem bent, They dont seem like they use to before the accident took place.

guys what else could be a problem!!! Now that the tube is changed i feel some other part also needs replacement.
Old 21st January 2013, 14:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation bumping the thread -similar issue

Friend's swift in bangalore, on a bumpy road the rear left hit a pothole, a pretty high speed and a deep impact.

No issues felt until car taken for alignment @ madhu's blore, and rear was off by -3Deg which is pretty huge. Visually you can notice (cell pic, sorry) the rear left tilted inwards. (Clue - follow how much right rubber is visible beyond the mudflap Vs the LEFT).

2 MASS's said the same thing - approx 10K for rear axle/tube replacement. One said to spend 550Rs on left rear spindle and check if it helps...

Both denied possibility of insurance claim since there is no exterior damage whatsoever!!

Any tips would be appreciated..

Swfit Rear Arm Bent!!!!-axle.jpg
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 08:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: bumping the thread -similar issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Friend's swift in bangalore, on a bumpy road the rear left hit a pothole, a pretty high speed and a deep impact.

No issues felt until car taken for alignment @ madhu's blore, and rear was off by -3Deg which is pretty huge. Visually you can notice (cell pic, sorry) the rear left tilted inwards. (Clue - follow how much right rubber is visible beyond the mudflap Vs the LEFT).

2 MASS's said the same thing - approx 10K for rear axle/tube replacement. One said to spend 550Rs on left rear spindle and check if it helps...

Both denied possibility of insurance claim since there is no exterior damage whatsoever!!

Any tips would be appreciated..

Attachment 1040843
Did you have the car checked when it was taken to Madhus' for wheel alignment? You could have climbed down the pit and inspected the axles along with their technicians. I faced a similar issue and the dealer told me the axle requires replacement as it was bent. However, when I took the vehicle to Madhu's, inspection revealed no damage, just that the alignment was way out of place, especially the camber settings.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 16:45   #11
BHPian

Default Re: Swfit Rear Arm Bent!!!!

Hi,
I agree with Sankar. I don't think its a major issue. as he has stated you did the alignment when there was problem with the rear axle. Since you replaced it you will have to re do the alignment.
abhijitl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 20:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to have not updated this query of mine - owner ended up doing a full rear arm replacement for 10k approx (parts, labor, consumables). Insurance guy went off the record to state it will be impossible to prove a pothole did the damage, so went for cash repair.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote