Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th January 2005, 15:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

the lancer 1.8 is an awesome car but such mods like turbo and nitrous arent worth it unless you only want to race.
for beginners the usual freeflow job and k n filters and better tyres and all are better
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2005, 01:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

i dunno how many of u have driven the manomatic 1.8 but i think it is grossly underpowered in the sense... the damn clutching system of the tranny is way too slow! it takes forever to shift even during kickdowns, i was very dissappointed with the overall performance as compared to any other honda CVT. so although its running 120bhp it still gets beaten hands down by a 100 bhp city 1.5 :/ and no matter how much performance mods u add on, the damn clutching and declutching is still automatic!!
autopsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2005, 05:04   #18
Team-BHP Support

Hi Mahi0375,

It seems that you want a car with good performance, but you arent very well versed with the technical side of things.

Maybe you should consider another car since the Lancer 1.8 is only available with an automatic transmission which isnt the best thing for enthusiastic driving or good transfer of power.

You might want to take a look at the baleno, corolla, or petra. Sadly the old honda city is no longer on the market otherwise that would have been the ideal choice. If you really wanna stretch your budget then the Octavia RS is the ideal choice!

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2005, 13:25   #19
BHPian

[color=black]Hi, Yes I love the old City and I donít like Toyota and Fiat...I already have RS with me but it is too big and i want to try small one .......Have anyone taken the car to race track?????The lancer handles better ????I think it is due to low ground clearance.....What is the prob with AT in 1.8 lancer???? The sales man told it will record the driveing style and adjust the engine to it..........is this correct???[/color]

[color=black]Regards,[/color]
mahi0375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2005, 20:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

The 1.8 just aint good enough.Infact as AutoPsyche said,its underpowered and kinda slow.The clutch is a nuisance.But one thing can be done in this case.If u change the clutch to a sports one and replace the AT gearbox with a Honda maual gearbox,this car can be a killer.
Karan Shah of KS Motorsport can do this job for u.He is well versed with Lancers.

X
X-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 19:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

but can the honda gearbox fit in the lancer..?
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 21:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

even i would doubt the mating of a honda mt to a mitsu 1.8.... wonder if it makes sense?
autopsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 03:55   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Have anyone taken the car to race track?????
Maybe BikerSG has?

Quote:
The lancer handles better ????I think it is due to low ground clearance.....
I dont really think ground clearance plays a major part in it at all. I have actually never driven a lancer!! but i think it is due to a more competent chasis and suspension design and setup that the lancer is such a great handler.

Quote:
What is the prob with AT in 1.8 lancer???? The sales man told it will record the driveing style and adjust the engine to it..........is this correct???
Well, the problem with an AT is that a lot of power is lost in the transmission due to the type of "clutching" (or rather "torque converting") that automatic transmissions use. So basically the lancer 1.8 makes little sence with an AT since it wont be taking full advantage of all the extra power the 1.8 has over the 1.5.
About the transmission adjusting to your driving style.... that is merely the shift points it chooses. Once again, you could have much better controll over that if it was simply a manual transmission!

cya
R
Old 28th January 2005, 17:20   #24
BHPian

Hi, I think If the GC is low then the CG Point also comes down so better handling ....

After old Honda city lancer has low clearence...

So what u all think can i go for 1.8 lancer or wait for other cars like EVO??

Regards,
Old 28th January 2005, 20:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

instead of the 1.8 invex,why dont you look at the ikon 1.6,the baleno or wait to see the new car that HM will be launching for Mitsubishi.
except the tiptronic shift,i dont think the present lancer has anything to go for it
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2005, 03:37   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahi0375
Hi, I think If the GC is low then the CG Point also comes down
Not true. GC is just the measurement of the lowest unsprung point on the car till the ground. Huge amounts of weight may be much further up, raising the CG.

Quote:
o what u all think can i go for 1.8 lancer or wait for other cars like EVO??
If you are looking for outright performance the transmission of the 1.8 is a huge flaw in your plan.
How about prepping a baleno? or turbo-ing a 1.5 lancer since you seem to want a project car?

cya
R
Old 21st February 2005, 14:46   #27
BHPian

Hi, Any info on New lancer 1.8 Trubo (petrol)???