Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: Does your Swift rattle?
Yes 193 78.78%
No 52 21.22%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th December 2010, 21:14   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Does your Swift rattle?

I knew Swift rattles but still I took Swift for the sheer performance and handling which of course I am a die hard fan of!!!

Yep, mine rattles like hell in just 7 months (11k kms). I drive daily around 12kms in very very very insane roads without tar at some spots!!!

People who say their Swift doesn't rattle please do the 'rattle' test on bad roads, don't judge by a normal road! Bcoz on normal roads with slight patches you won't realise much, but once the road condition goes below 70%, Swift rattles and shakes (moreso due to the hard suspension too). And one big thing to be noted is that, when Swift lands in large potholes it does so with a huge thud with sounds emanating from the dashboard and door pads and where not! Similar kinds of sounds never come from Polo or Figo.

And add to it, I did my external power windows added in front, giving hell lotsa rattling from doors :(

Thumbs down for build quality, Thumps up for the 'Swift' youth image and performance. Sad to say, my new Swift rattles much like my 10 yr SOLD Esteem Vx.

Swift LDi July 2010.

Note: After every service for around 1 week there is no rattling. Need any more evidence on build quality. Its very evident that 'some' things get loose.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 29th December 2010 at 21:18.
sam_sant2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 09:36   #137
Senior - BHPian

Does swift Dzire figure here? Well my 18 month 20k km old Dzire does not rattle. And i've been over some of the worst roads. e.g. kittur bidi londa ponda
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 15:53   #138
BHPian

The only rattles I have are from the dashboard. It's more like squeaking and less of rattling.

Is there a way to fix this? All the solutions mentioned in this thread relate to damping, which I guess mainly applies to the doors.

During service, they fix the dashboard squeak perfectly, but it's back after a couple of weeks. So I'm sure they're just tightening some nuts/screws.

Pointers to which nuts/screws to tighten (for the dashboard) is highly appreciated!

Last edited by PearlJam : 6th January 2011 at 15:54.
PearlJam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 16:19   #139

My Swift ZXi has 125000 on the odo. A clean car (minus all the things in the glove-box and the side-pockets) does not rattle; no matter what the road condition. There are squeaks alright; but no rattles.
DaiKatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 16:58   #140
Senior - BHPian

Its over two years now. The only rattle i get is due to the coins in the side pockets or glove box and if i am really dragging the car at 35KMPH in fourth gear. Or it could be that I am just used to the sound of the car that i no longer recognize it as rattle.

Squeaks are definitely there. Last three days i am driving without the rear speaker board which just broke into two. Thanks to radio warehouse, the quality of material used is just a little better than chart paper when it actually broke. Now my family carpenter is making one for me with a decent compressed wood that will last. Cost is much less than the ready made ones for sure. Back to the topic, now i can hear more squeaks with direct access to boot.

Overall satisfied with the fit. Though i service my car once every 5K (oil and top ups) and i always give my car to one mechanic here in MSN who does check doors and dashboard for rattles. Every 10K he does remove the dash board and re fit them after checking for rattles and squeaks.

I think i have moved past the stage of listening inside the car.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 19:27   #141
Team-BHP Support

Vxi 2006. No rattles.

I have been defending the myth that all Swifts are rattly but am fighting a losing battle. Most fellow Swifties are like: "I love my baby but it's a rattle-trap!" The only rattling I hear is if I leave my tools etc. loose in the boot (happens almost after every service) or something small bouncing around in the 2nd DIN wala khancha (What else do you call it!)

Touch wood I guess. Or maybe the previous owner did some damping. No idea, but am not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 03:42   #142
BHPian

ah guys, there was a lot of talk regarding damping. if i put in cloth inside the door pads for damping, wouldn't it foul with the window glass roll down and roll up
igp_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 12:56   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ah guys, there was a lot of talk regarding damping. if i put in cloth inside the door pads for damping, wouldn't it foul with the window glass roll down and roll up
Not sure its the right way to add damping materials to the doors. There is a thread in DIY where the damping process is explained. Check that thread and you may get an idea about using the right damping material than Cloth.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 17:07   #144
BANNED

2008 Dzire, Lot of annoying rattles from the front passenger door and the dashboard. I am going to try the damping solution mentioned in a do it yourself elsewhere on the forum. Lets hope it makes it alright.
As per the service centers, the authorized people could not even diagnose the problems. This is really disappointing. The built quality is just pathetic.
DMehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 17:44   #145
BHPian

Nov 2008 Dzire VDi - 37,000 Kms.
Proud to say that no rattles till date. There were a couple with the back seat but were fixed during initial services and haven't surfaced yet (Touch wood)
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 21:35   #146
Senior - BHPian

It does-

The dash.
The windows.
The rear seat.

Only on bad roads, on tarmac, it doesn't, even if you strain your ears.
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 17:54   #147
BHPian

Yes, unfortunately, and it's REALLY annoying. It's the one negative that you have to live with on a daily basis in what is otherwise a great little car. The thing is though my central locking is an after-market fit, so I think it's control roads inside that rattle more than anything, but it's also occasional rattles from the doors, glove compartment lid, and things like that.

As someone who's owned multiple MUL products, this is an inherent issue with them, much more than any other car manufacturer. The SX4 doesn't rattle to the same extent, so clearly MUL knows how to prevent rattles from creeping in early in their cars' life.

My Swift-D's done about 34,000 kms on predominantly smooth roads (I'm one of those drivers that avoids bumps and potholes like the plague), and the rattles started coming in at about 20k. Like I said, annoying.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 17:31   #148
BHPian

I have a swift Ldi with aftermarket power windows fitted on the front doors. They do make quite a bit of rattle while going through bad roads. Since it is an aftermarket fitting, I am a bit uneasy to open the door panel myself and experiment. Is there any good shops in Ernakulam/Kochi where I can get the damping done?
DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 18:03   #149
BHPian

Default Just got all my rattles fixed!!!

My Swift-D's covered about 40,000 km and I guess the rattles were inevitable. To be fair, Bombay's roads are only getting worse and the rattles were fairly minor, but I can't live with them.

So, I did a little bit of research, and with a capable and willing mechanic we sorted out all the door rattles in three hours. I took some inspiration and tips from the 'Damping' thread on the forum, and realized that all it would take is some foam, some rubber solution, and some elbow grease.

Oh, and 300 bucks.

What the mech did:

1. Undid all the door panels.
2. Replaced all the screwheads and washers with new ones.
3. Stuck the foam on either side of the door to add some sound deadening and insulation.
4. Made sure the foam didnt foul with the power windows or central locking.
5. Replaced worn plastic door clips with new ones (only two needed to be replaced).

Voila.... all rattles gone.
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 12:50   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
It does-

The dash.
The windows.
The rear seat.

Only on bad roads, on tarmac, it doesn't, even if you strain your ears.
Same to same with mine. On bad roads/rough patches its annoying. Once on plain open stretches no problems at all.
My baleno which is 6 yrs and 40000 kms old doesnt rattle one bit.
Reality is online now   Reply With Quote