Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: Does your Swift rattle?
Yes 193 78.78%
No 52 21.22%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th February 2008, 19:36   #16
Awaiting Email Confirmation

left rear door somewhere. its constant and annoys me when my ipod runs out of juice. otherwise classic rock can drown out the rattle well enough for me. who cares if it rattles. it goes like stink.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 20:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

I owned Swift VXI Feb 2006, Doors or door pads used to rattle and make horrible noise while travelling in bad roads, when I noticed Maruti could not fix it 100% because rattle used to come back within 1 week after they fix it I let it rattle for ever! They used to charge me for labour to fix the rattling only atfer i blasted them in words they even offered me free washing while fixing the issues.

I heard damping will fix it for some extent it depends on how best we damp it, If Maruti pay me to damp I would have damped it

I felt Swift rattles because of its design which is not suitable for Indian road conditions so it starts rattling. So unless Maruti fix the issue we cant eliminate this issue.

when i had long meeting wth MUL top officials I have asked them to address few issues I noticed in Swift at least in 2007 model, they said they will but I can see they never care because their cars sell like hot cakes! So Why they care to fix the issues.

So I predicted 2010 will be the year they will learn lesson for taking customers as granted.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 12th February 2008 at 20:20.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 20:46   #18
Team-BHP Support

i clicked NO since i drive my cousins car which RATTLES!! mine is all the knick knacks i have in the car, whenever i clean it up before service its absolute silence lol

On the other hand, my steering rack has a funny rattle sound (very rare and one has to put real effort to replicate) while entering pothole/bump at certain degree of steering turn. Never bothered reporting it since i had the same issue with my ol zen and esteem and i had to do a weird jugad job at one of the steering joints to get rid of it.

Anyways will check with my service adviser just for the heck of it since my car is reaching 1 year mark in couple of months and this might be the right time to get some warranty claims done.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 22:13   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Swift VDI August 07.
It didn't rattle till today. It was taken to HERTZ-fy not long after it was brought from the showroom. Heavy damping in all the doors including the boot. There's no sign of rattling till now.

BTW, the car now remains parked more than it's driven. So it's expected to be rattle free for another 6 months or so!

May the brickbats follow!
. Its remain parked safely where ever it goes!

Two of my friends Swift DDiS rattles. One has dne only 2.2k and other less than 5k.

My 2 year old Xing, after 54K doesnt!
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 22:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

My friends VDi has been rattling since it was taken out of the showroom.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 22:55   #21
BHPian

Folks,

I heard various comments about damp'ning. I am not really sure about this one, can anyone point me or reply as how its done and whats the technique?

Thanks
~LT
linuxtechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 00:15   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
My 2 year old Xing, after 54K doesnt!
The i10 takes fit and finish game to even higher levels, i think. All credit to Hyundai on that front!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
My friends VDi has been rattling since it was taken out of the showroom.
Same case with my friend's LDi. There are rattles from the boot and the panels also rattle after fitting all the accesories.
OT: Where are you?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 10:03   #23
BHPian

Sep 2007 Vxi ABS.

No rattles I have heard till date. Done 1K only
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 11:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfhelm View Post
Well, this thread is about the Swift, but let me digress a bit.

IMHO, the rattling is probably due to Maruti and is not car model specific.

I bought a Wagon R Vxi last year and have never had a rattle free ride in it. Dealer doesn't seem to know how to fix the rattles. The most prominent one coming from the dashboard central console with the A/C knobs n stuff.

My .02 $'s
Same OT here. Having owned 2 Maruti cars for 8 years, I can say that most Maruti cars should have a prefix `rattling'. Perhaps one should not expect a Rolls like silence in 2-5 lakhs.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 11:11   #25
BHPian

Yes it does and a lot on bad roads. Right from day one, if you try flying over bad road like the Palio, the Swift feels like loosely put together. But I guess that it makes up for the rattling issue in a few other departments. IMHO, I think that all Marutis are poorly built.
sushanthr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 11:44   #26
BHPian

I have a perpetual problem with the hatch door interior paddings. The plastic clips are of so poor quality that the rattling happens due to them coming loose. Service centres have no permanent solutions.
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 11:59   #27
BHPian

My Swift 2005 July used to rattle but got it fixed in 2005 (2nd Service) and hasnt rattled till date.
anarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 11:59   #28
BHPian

Rattling had increased a lot recently thanks to bangalore roads, but Surakshaa fixed the problem for me by putting in foam padding behind the hatch door panel (on the inside). This solved about 90% of the problem. There is still some minor rattling though, as far as I can tell behind the dashboard.
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 12:00   #29
k36
BHPian

March 2006 VXi. Rattling appears and disappears from various parts. Currently I can feel the rattles from the dash, right front door and the central mirror pod. All this on typical Pune city roads. On bad roads, I don't really bother.
k36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 12:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Don't know about Swift, but my good old WagonR (4 year old) does not rattle. Its done 40 k.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote