Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th February 2008, 11:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Question Ford Ikon Used different coolant.

Problem: The radiator fan was switching on too early i.e., if I had travelled around 2~3 kms, the engine would get heated up and the radiator fan used to switch on. It also used to make lot of noice. I checked the engine coolant tank and to my horror, the coolant tank was completely empty. As I do not have Ford's ASC near my house, I immdiately went to BPCL and purchased the BP's MAK coolant (with no mixing of water) which has JIS K 2234 1994 LLC code on the same which is Green in colour which is Japanese Industry Standards.

Now the Ford has recommended in their manual WSS M97 B44D with Pink colour of coolant which is American standards. I just checked up on the internet and for both the basic material used is ethylene glycol. But in WSS M97 B44D they are informing it is monoethylene glycol and OAT corrosion inhibitors.

I want to know whether there will be any problems as I had used a different make of the coolant. Do I have to go to the Ford Dealership and flush out this JIS K 2234 1994 and add the WSS M97 B44D coolant?

Pls reply back.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 17:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

BUMP!! No replies... :-(
Old 13th February 2008, 17:52   #3
BHPian

I think its best to use the Ford's OEM coolant. Ford's engines are different from ours, read as American Engines vs Eu/Asian Engines.

If you can, change back to the OEM coolant. Cause I can't say what difference the chemical properties would cause to the engine.

Jaggu,1100D,nitrous! Waiting for you to comment on this.

cya
A
Absar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 19:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

You can drain off the existing (non-standard) coolant and fill in the recommended one. Depending on whether you are inside our out of warranty, choose the authorised service center or roadside workshop.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 20:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have PM'd you. Its a Red Vs Green issue as I mentioned. Usually the Red one comes with something called Dexcool. Usually harmful for the cooling systems not designed for it. However the Green one does not usually do any harm.

But, some Ford cooling systems are said to corrode on other coolants (known as antifreeze in US). Usually its the Pump that goes.

So better would be to flush, but the flushing probably will have to be exhaustive as mixing the two types is not recommended, maybe you can use water as intermediate.

Main question though is, why did it loose coolant, observe any coolant leaks, on a stationary car in 1> Cold condition 2> idling condition, try to rev up from the engine bay and observe. If you cant observe anything, check the engine-oil for coolant contamination, could be an indicator of a bad head gasket.

How does the car run?
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 22:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

@ 1100 D: Thanks for PM. The car runs fine. Engine is smooth. The engine temperature is also fine. Even running after couple of hours in traffic the reading shows at around 1/4th which is OK. As you have mentioned, will have to go the root cause why this problem occured. For as a temporary countermeasure, do you suggest me to remove the green coolant and add water, run it for couple of days and again add ford's recommended coolant?

BTW, how to remove the coolant. Can I remove the coolant resorvior by hand or the coolant needs to be pumped out. If I pump out, then what will happen to the coolant stuck up in the radiator?

Last edited by snaronikar : 13th February 2008 at 23:00.
Old 13th February 2008, 23:18   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

We have a thread regarding this.

Colors depends on chemicals used.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 12:26   #8
BHPian

Yes, I see Ford coolant is in pink color and its better you refill back with the OEM Coolant.
VC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 18:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
BTW, how to remove the coolant. Can I remove the coolant resorvior by hand or the coolant needs to be pumped out. If I pump out, then what will happen to the coolant stuck up in the radiator?

If you need to ask, dont do it!!! :-(

No offence meant, but there is a plug/nut, usually on the engine block. You simply open the nut and the coolant will drain out. If you really think you can DIY, check the manual to see if the location is given.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 18:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I just remembered.
I've been using Castrol Protector JIS-K-2234 Class II,IS:5759 in my ikon for the last 3 months/3,000 kms.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 13:56   #11
BHPian

Hi!

I have an Ikon 1.6 and faced the same problem.
I had lost coolant due to a broken diverter valve (heater). My mechanic bypassed the valve and asked me to run he car on water for some time - to detect any leaks I guess. I was supposed to fill in the coolant after a couple of days. The car ran fine with water also but I thought it would be prudent to shift to coolant as water can leave deposits and corrode the system also.
Went to another mechanic (pure laziness - didnt feel like driving 5km in Old Gurgaon traffic ) and filled in the green coolant and water. Ran the car throughout summer on this till I took it to the my original guy and he replaced it with ford`s recommended coolant (red / pink).

The difference between the coolants was that Ford`s coolant is less viscous and the radiator fan switches on later than the green one.

Replacing coolant can be DIY job, you can disconnect the bottom hose of the radiator and drain it out, but it can get quite messy and you have to clip the hose back on!
dashoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 20:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
@ 1100 D: Thanks for PM. The car runs fine. Engine is smooth. The engine temperature is also fine. Even running after couple of hours in traffic the reading shows at around 1/4th which is OK. As you have mentioned, will have to go the root cause why this problem occured. For as a temporary countermeasure, do you suggest me to remove the green coolant and add water, run it for couple of days and again add ford's recommended coolant?

i've just recently bought a 2002 model (1.6l). so one of the things i noticed is that operating temperature (per the indicator on the dash beside the fuel indicator) is around 1/2. while searching for coolant info i noticed this post and wanted to know whether that's ok because i see you mentioning 1/4.
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 01:55   #13
BHPian

I have a 1.6 ROCAM 2002 and the engine temperature guage operates between 1/2 on CNG and a little more than 1/4 on petrol. I have used both Castrol(green) and OEM pink/red one aswell and have not seen a noticable difference in their performance. I asked the advisor at Ford and he said it does'nt make any difference in their usage except for the fact that the green one should be mixed in a ratio of 1part coolant:3parts water unless the pack mentions pre-mixed like the OEM Ford ones(pink) in which the entire quantity in not required to mix with water. Of course as mentioned earlier, properties of both would differ so i guess sticking to the OEM is a much better option however i am contradicting myself here that whenever i have used OEM it has dried up much quicker than Castrol(green one).
OEM lasted 5000kms approx. and Castrol for over 11000kms and there were no leaks anywhere.
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 19:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
I have a 1.6 ROCAM 2002 and the engine temperature guage operates between 1/2 on CNG and a little more than 1/4 on petrol. I have used both Castrol(green) and OEM pink/red one aswell and have not seen a noticable difference in their performance. I asked the advisor at Ford and he said it does'nt make any difference in their usage except for the fact that the green one should be mixed in a ratio of 1part coolant:3parts water unless the pack mentions pre-mixed like the OEM Ford ones(pink) in which the entire quantity in not required to mix with water. Of course as mentioned earlier, properties of both would differ so i guess sticking to the OEM is a much better option however i am contradicting myself here that whenever i have used OEM it has dried up much quicker than Castrol(green one).
OEM lasted 5000kms approx. and Castrol for over 11000kms and there were no leaks anywhere.
so should i get her checked because she's running at around 1/2 on petrol or is it not too much to be worried about?
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2008, 02:26   #15
BHPian

If you are driving the car out on a hot summer day and in traffic then 1/2 on the temp guage is fine as the same happens to me because the air around the car is hotter in traffic due to the heat from other vehicles in close viscinity thus the air sucked in is also hot resulting in the higher temperature but it should fall down a bit once on an open stretch. So i guess nothing to worry about but anything more than that then do get the coolant changed or check for leaks, sometimes it might not be a visible leak and the coolant might be trickling away slowly somewhere unnoticed.
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote