Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2008, 01:34   #1
BHPian
 
clipto333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jalandhar
Posts: 912
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Sluggish Accent CRDI after engine rebuild.

Hi
I searched but cound not find anything on this topic. so Mods please do the needful if similar thread exists.

I have a 2003 accent crdi which has clocked 87k kms. My cars engine conked at 79600 kms. i got it over hauled and paid 65k. The job was done at an authorized service centre.

The problem iam facing is, the car feels really sluggish. Before the rebuild, i timed my cars 0-100 and it was around 13-14 seconds. today i timed it again and it was around 21 secs. earlier i used some device which gives quarter mile timings, g force, etc etc and i think it was quite accurate. this time i used a stop watch snd the cars spedo meter so there would be an error of around 15kms so the actual timing is for 0-85 kms approx.

Now i really need to know why is this happening? The running in was done with utmost care. no high rpm shifts, sudden acceleration, breaking and no air conditioner. i didn't let anyone drive my car till around 5k(leaving aside my wife who is really careful and a really good driver)

Can anyone help me out on this please? This is really frustrating. my fiesta feels like a bullet after driving this bullock cart. earlier it used to feel sluggish.


Thanks in advance guys.

cheers
clipto
clipto333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 03:38   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
rider60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bhagyanagaram. (A.K.A. Hyderabad)
Posts: 1,619
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

hmm, what do the service center guys say about the sluggishness of the car, i mean what was the explanation given by them?

and my advice have the air-filter checked, my crdi had a paper clogging the air flow and i did have similar experience back then.

even with a new engine, and a old GB, the vehicle should not be that sluggish!, and more over i assume that the injectors and other things like the sensors are properly checked and/or cleaned.

and what is the current FE of the car?
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 17:32   #3
BHPian
 
clipto333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jalandhar
Posts: 912
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
hmm, what do the service center guys say about the sluggishness of the car, i mean what was the explanation given by them?

and my advice have the air-filter checked, my crdi had a paper clogging the air flow and i did have similar experience back then.

even with a new engine, and a old GB, the vehicle should not be that sluggish!, and more over i assume that the injectors and other things like the sensors are properly checked and/or cleaned.

and what is the current FE of the car?
its like this since the day i got the delivery after the re build. i thought its because of the new parts and the acceleration will improve after running in.

I think all the filters plus the engine oil were new. im gonna be getting the car serviced in a day or two and i will ask the guys.

cheers
clip
clipto333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 18:16   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
DieselFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,570
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Is the engine burning more oil then it should? Is it getting hot more than it should?

These two would definitely mean the build was incorrect.
DieselFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 19:32   #5
BHPian
 
amitpunjani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 451
Thanked: 101 Times
Default

May be the compression test would give you a clear picture.

Sorry for being off the topic, but this makes me think that engine overhaul at 80k and then paying Rs 65,000 for the engine. Are Diesel engines really worth the money what we pay to OEMs.


Amit
amitpunjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 20:56   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 936 Times
Default

@Amitpunjani - Not all diesel engines need to rebuilt at 80k kms. My CRDi has done 98k kms and still going strong. This seems like a one off case.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 22:45   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
theMAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,033
Thanked: 1,470 Times
Default

Quote:
Before the rebuild, i timed my cars 0-100 and it was around 13-14 seconds. today i timed it again and it was around 21 secs.
Shouldnt rebuilt engines be run-in first?
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 23:00   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
rider60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bhagyanagaram. (A.K.A. Hyderabad)
Posts: 1,619
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post

Now i really need to know why is this happening? The running in was done with utmost care. no high rpm shifts, sudden acceleration, breaking and no air conditioner. i didn't let anyone drive my car till around 5k(leaving aside my wife who is really careful and a really good driver)

Can anyone help me out on this please? This is really frustrating. my fiesta feels like a bullet after driving this bullock cart. earlier it used to feel sluggish.


Thanks in advance guys.

cheers
clipto
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Shouldnt rebuilt engines be run-in first?

theMAG he has already mentioned this clearly!.

and clipto put in the response from the A.S.S. guys i am waiting for their explanation on this!. and you forgot to mention the FE of the car after rebuild!.

Last edited by rider60 : 24th February 2008 at 23:03.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 23:07   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
abhibh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Back in the HOOD near you!
Posts: 2,767
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Shouldnt rebuilt engines be run-in first?
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
Hi
The running in was done with utmost care. no high rpm shifts, sudden acceleration, breaking and no air conditioner. i didn't let anyone drive my car till around 5k(leaving aside my wife who is really careful and a really good driver)
Mag clipto did run-in his accent rebuilt engine.

Clip what do Hyundai guys say ? Have you checked oils ? and what about servicing ? and how much KM now car has logged since engine rebuilt ?
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 00:23   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

0-85 kph in 21 seconds sounds like my Tata Sumo,not a CRDI.
CRDI injectors run at very high pressures and dont last long.They might not have been replaced during the rebuild (they're quite expensive).Please get your injectors checked and diagnostics should show something up.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 01:13   #11
BHPian
 
bIte tHe bulLet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 438
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

hey guys,

slightly OT here - apologies though.

how normal is it to have a petrol engine rebuild @ a little over 1 lakh kms? i thought these ruddy engines went 150 k kms?

what say?
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 03:39   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
rider60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bhagyanagaram. (A.K.A. Hyderabad)
Posts: 1,619
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
0-85 kph in 21 seconds sounds like my Tata Sumo,not a CRDI.
CRDI injectors run at very high pressures and dont last long.They might not have been replaced during the rebuild (they're quite expensive).Please get your injectors checked and diagnostics should show something up.
nitrous how sure are you about this? and can i have some proof please? you see i too have a crdi viva so need to check this with precise proof as they do not state any thing like replacing the injectors at around 80k kms in the manual!


Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
hey guys,

slightly OT here - apologies though.

how normal is it to have a petrol engine rebuild @ a little over 1 lakh kms? i thought these ruddy engines went 150 k kms?

what say?

well it depends on the car and the brand some cars like the OHC have lasted more than 1.5lacs and some even crossed even 2lacs.
and my own M800 is still going strong at 1.1lac! imo all the modern cars last more than 2lacs petrol, the best examples of long lasting diesels are toyotas and mahindras!

Last edited by rider60 : 25th February 2008 at 03:43.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 11:48   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,719
Thanked: 89,184 Times
Default

The real culprit could be the fuel pump. Have you got it checked yet? Would also be a good idea to run a compression test.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 11:55   #14
BHPian
 
bIte tHe bulLet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 438
Thanked: 242 Times
Default hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
well it depends on the car and the brand some cars like the OHC have lasted more than 1.5lacs and some even crossed even 2lacs. and my own M800 is still going strong at 1.1lac! imo all the modern cars last more than 2lacs petrol, the best examples of long lasting diesels are toyotas and mahindras!
thanks dude. mine is a palio and has been bulletproof before this. it started as just leaking oil and now it seems to be disintegrating before my eyes.

trying to figure out if its worth a rebuild at the local mechanic (who generally works on mercs and the like) or to just sell it and bail out with one helluva hit on resale price.

what say?
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 12:05   #15
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,644 Times
Default

I also feel the fuel pump is the culprit.
A faulty pump can play havoc with performance.
Also clip, can you post some details about exhaust smoke and what color is it?
Note the exhaust smoke when you cold start the car.
Do you see any missing etc., going on near high rpms?

Do you get any funny smells?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mileage Problem (Accent CRDi) after Scheduled Diesel Engine Purge! sizoo Technical Stuff 2 7th August 2009 11:29
Pulsar 180 sluggish after 100kmph member Motorbikes 6 23rd August 2006 22:51
Accent CRDi or Accent Viva CRDi Looks abhibh The Indian Car Scene 4 8th November 2005 17:43
Accent CRDi or Accent Viva CRDi abhibh Sedans 16 8th November 2005 05:58
Sluggish Brakes on my Accent libre sito Technical Stuff 15 8th October 2004 19:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks