Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th July 2013, 15:44   #61

Default re: Suspension Overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I had a similar model car earlier and you should note that the City's ride was always little stiff and nothing to write home about.
I'd say the problem is in the tyre sizes. Upping the rim size to 15" will send the ride quality for a toss. I'd suggest changing to 14" immediately. The stock sizes is 175/65 R14, but an even better option is 185/60 R14. This sizes is very well suited and also does wonders to the car's ride and handling. It isn't just me, even Autocar India recommended this size for this model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
190/50 R15, seems low profile Tyre and may be the reason behind sound and jerks. You may consider 185/65 R14 for better ride quality. Also, suspension overhaul should fix many of above problems.
Thanks for the feedback guys! I moved back to OE standards, and the ride was better, but not quite perfect. The suspension was overhauled, which did not really help either.

I have since sold the car. Updated my ride to the ANHC around a month back.
rajneeshmakhija is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 12:08   #62

Default Hyundai Accent Viva CRDi Shock Absorber

I really need some help regarding my Hyundai Accent Viva CRDI's suspension. My rear tyres are a bit tilted outwards and because of that the inner part of my both tyres are completely worn out. And to make things worse while turning left (only left) at reasonable speed(say 40-50) my rear left tyre makes loud squealing noise. I have got my car aligned recently and the person who did the alignment told me that he cannot properly align the tyres because of some bend in the suspension arm, but assured me that it shouldn't cause any problems. I have noticed my car is extremely wobbly sometimes and if the roads are uneven it tends to bounce a lot.

I really need some advice regarding this issue. If I have to change my shocks, please suggest me one that is good for handling. I am getting TRW Branded Shocks but the one dealer has in stock is for Accent CRDi and he doesn't know whether it will be compatible for Viva CRDi. I have heard that Viva Petrol has a shorter Shock Absorber than CRDi but nothing about Accent CRDI & Viva CRDi. If someone can shed some light on it, it would be really helpful.
rahulsampath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 20:30   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Accent Viva CRDi Shock Absorber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsampath View Post
My rear tyres are a bit tilted outwards and because of that the inner part of my both tyres are completely worn out.
Change the suspension bushes first. Negative camber is usually not due to shock absorber problems.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 09:06   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsampath View Post
I have got my car aligned recently and the person who did the alignment told me that he cannot properly align the tyres because of some bend in the suspension arm, but assured me that it shouldn't cause any problems.
Change the bent suspension arm and check the bushes on all other arms first. It is a problem if the wheel can't be aligned to factory specs.

Quote:
I have noticed my car is extremely wobbly sometimes and if the roads are uneven it tends to bounce a lot.
Sign of weak dampers which needs replacement, but do the above at the same time.

Quote:
but the one dealer has in stock is for Accent CRDi and he doesn't know whether it will be compatible for Viva CRDi. I have heard that Viva Petrol has a shorter Shock Absorber than CRDi but nothing about Accent CRDI & Viva CRDi.
Accent CRDI dampers should fit the Viva CRDI straight on. Check whether the part numbers for Viva CDI and Accent CRDI dampers are the same. If yes both parts are the same. Even if there is a difference in part number the Accent CRDI damper would fit the Viva CRDI, the difference if any would be in the damper compression/rebound specs since Viva was the sportier of the two. Change both dampers on the same end (front/back) at the same time.

Petrol and Diesel dampers are different, because of the additional weight of the Diesel engine. So no point in comparing Viva/Accent Petrol and Diesel and coming to any conclusion.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 09:10   #65
Senior - BHPian

Shock absorbers/worn springs usually don't play a big role in the assembly leading to tire misalignment/camber variation. There could be a small bend in the rear suspension component, if not it could be worn out rear bushings. As a temporary fix people even use washers in the lug nuts to align the wheel or use longer screws with washers between them in the tire assembly to the suspension till they get that 0 deg camber but that's not recommended. By tilting outwards do you mean the upper portion of the tire is coming out? In that case its positive camber. Get it checked by a trained mechanic.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 10:26   #66

I had taken my car to Hyundai A.S.S to find the root cause of the misalignment. And they pinpointed the alignment problem to the bend in Rear Lower Control Arm. They also advised me to change all rear lower arms and they have quoted 10K for that.

To my eyes only the right one seems bent and I plan to take it to a local mechanic who may change it for 2.5K to 3K.
Attached Thumbnails
Suspension Overhaul-img_20140323_094229.jpg  

rahulsampath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 12:33   #67
MSC
BHPian

Default clunking noise from Hyundai Santro Xing rear suspension.

I am having 2003 model Hyundai Santro Xing. The car has seen 56 thousand kms with all the services done at proper time. The car has seen all types of roads ranging from 4 lane and 6 lane highways to mud and slush infested manali keylong road.
Of late,there is a sort of noise which can be described most suitably as a "clunking" sort of bit from rear suspension. The noise is more pronounced when car is fully loaded and driven over rough roads. It seems as if all the suspension movements cause this clunking.
This is my first technical query and I hope I am posting in right place . I request the worthy moderators to move this to appropriate place if I have kept it in wrong place .
MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 14:03   #68
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: clunking noise from Hyundai Santro Xing rear suspension.

Inspect the rear shocks and the link bush for wear. Replace them if they are bad.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 21:20   #69
BHPian

Check if the silencer is damaged at the can (catalytic converter) end. I experienced it in my Santro, it was rusted and was almost broken and causing the same clunking noise when loaded. This could be one probability if shocks are fine.
vinair is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 13:37   #70
BHPian

Sounds like there is a "Metal part to metal part" coming in contact somewhere in the suspension area. My guess is one or more suspension (rubber) bush has torn and two metal parts are rubbing into each-other under load. A thorough inspection of all bush needs to be done and replaced.
amrisharm is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 20:21   #71
MSC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Sounds like there is a "Metal part to metal part" coming in contact somewhere in the suspension area. My guess is one or more suspension (rubber) bush has torn and two metal parts are rubbing into each-other under load. A thorough inspection of all bush needs to be done and replaced.
exactly. it seems as if two metal parts are rubbing each other. the clunking remains for a while till the suspension recovers from the shicks produced by a bump. I will surely update the thread on rectification in a couple of days .
MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 10:04   #72
BHPian

Default Re: Suspension Overhaul

An Unrelated topic - It seems that my car [Honda City Type 3 Gxi - 2005] had hit a bad pothole or run extensively on a bad road on a drive to Nashik. Now the Rear Tyre are inverted on the inside and eating off the inner tyre toe. My mechanic had did some jugaad and got the upper end out by inserting shim in the upper end on plate.

However the problem has resurfaced and the wear from the inside has begun again. It is suggestive that the Rear Dead Axle referred as 'dhadhi' has developed a bent and hence the issue. Alignment guy said there is no adjustment that can be done to the rear tyres of this car.

The options i have been provided with:
1. Get the part straightened at a metal workshop [Cost 6000 INR]
2. Buy a one from lot aka second one pulled out from other car from the market [Cost 7500 INR approx]
3. Buy a new genuine Honda part - Link-way Honda [Cost 26,000 INR ex labour]

I am from Mumbai - Mulund and now this is the second set of tyres that have been worn out uneven in just 10k kms.

It has been very frustrating now as the car cant be aligned proper and has become unstable [feels like it sways side to side]. The alignment guy attributes this to the rear tyre being inverted and causing the car to unstablilse.

Can someone provide some help on this please or references where i can get this resolved.

I don't intend to have the car for more than another year and half.

Regards,
Jayesh
vorajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 11:49   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorajay View Post
The options i have been provided with:
1. Get the part straightened at a metal workshop [Cost 6000 INR]
2. Buy a one from lot aka second one pulled out from other car from the market [Cost 7500 INR approx]
3. Buy a new genuine Honda part - Link-way Honda [Cost 26,000 INR ex labour]
If you don't want to go in for new part, i would suggest the option 2 as long as your mech can confirm the part is in good shape.

Straightening process usually will weaken the metal and chances of it bending again is high.

Also is it the suspension subframe? Can you share a picture of the part.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 12:16   #74
BHPian

Name:  _1.jpg
Views: 4338
Size:  25.9 KB

Also is it the suspension subframe? Can you share a picture of the part.[/quote]

Just for representation. But this is the part that is a connecting rod between the rear wheel

Last edited by navin : 6th August 2015 at 12:51. Reason: back to back posts
vorajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 09:48   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorajay View Post
Now the Rear Tyre are inverted on the inside and eating off the inner tyre toe.
Hi Jayesh,

Is this a tyre on only one side, or are both rear tyres wearing out equally on the inner part of the tread?
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote