Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th March 2008, 13:20   #1
BHPian

Default Poor AC Cooling in Santro

Hi People,

The Santro which i have has clocked 2500 Kms, overall quite satified with the car but certainly not with the A/C. Before Santro i has ZEN MPFI and i think the Zen A/C was much better. Also the engine also suffers from power whenver the A/C is on, which was not in the case of ZEN.

My concern is there is about 5 feet section A/C pipe coming from compressor into the cabin into the cabin which is not heat insultated by the company. Perhaps i think there is alot of A/C cooling is being wasted.

Any suggestions please.

Amit
amitpunjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 13:36   #2
BHPian

Default not for me

I have a santro and I dont think A/C is weak.
Do you have sunfilm coating for your windows?
druva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 13:56   #3
BHPian

Yes i have sun film coating of Garware, what my another concern is Santro is also that there is no clear glass on the flasher (bottle) to check the amount of gas. Normally in maruti's A/C the flasher has glass section in which you see the gas and judge whether the amount of gas is sufficient or not. But there is no such provision in Santro A/C.

Amit
Old 4th March 2008, 14:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Santro a/c is one of the best in the industry.Check for the a/c gas at the A.S.S and refill it.Sun film has some effect on the cooling but as such even without a sunfilm santro a/c is fine.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 14:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you get it to an AC mechanic & check the pipes for any gas leaks.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 14:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Santro a/c is one of the best in the industry.Check for the a/c gas at the A.S.S and refill it.Sun film has some effect on the cooling but as such even without a sunfilm santro a/c is fine.
ram
Hi Ram

Following your advice i will visit the A.S.S tomorrow. But also one of another concern is that the 5 feet sectioned A/C pipe rite next to the throttle body which is not heat insultated, and i perhaps assume that the alot of cooling is lost is due course not only in my car but in other cars as well

Amit
Old 20th May 2010, 13:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

How is your AC doing now ? My santro doesnt cool in Delhis summers when sun is on top, even if I keep it at the max level.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 15:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Keeping AC at max level in a Santro seldomly helps. Its better to use at level 3 with the windows rolled down particularly during start ups at noon and the cooling improves within few minutes. I also had the Santro L2 (the first batch, 1999 make) and its AC was better than the Xing.

Last edited by tsk13 : 20th May 2010 at 15:37.
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 15:44   #9
Team-BHP Support

Go to A.S.S. ask them to put a thermometer in the grill and check for grill temp. If its high, then you may need AC compressor change(new car, everything under warranty).
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 17:54   #10
BHPian

I have an old Santro, and the AC still cools perfectly well. Could either be gas or filter issues. Do let us know what the A.S.S. people say.
darksoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 01:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Hi Ram

Following your advice i will visit the A.S.S tomorrow. But also one of another concern is that the 5 feet sectioned A/C pipe rite next to the throttle body which is not heat insultated, and i perhaps assume that the alot of cooling is lost is due course not only in my car but in other cars as well

Amit
Were you able to check with H.A.S.S. ?

I had very poor cooling few days back and needed a Gap top-up, once done, I am cool even in 44C.

I too had the same feeling why the cooling pipe line is left without insulation while in all other cars they are kept under insulation foam.
I'll check with my A.C. guy and let you know for the insulation thing and post back in a day or two.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 02:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Amit,
Let us know your solution. Have a Santro as well and had the same complaint about the AC section pipe insulation as well as cooling that is effective only below 40 degrees. Many a checks and assurances that "all is well" later the AC continues to provide so so cooling that is definitely on par with other Santros but not on par with other cars - even an alto cools better and my comparo gets a bit more skewed as the other two cars I own are Baleno and Innova - both masters of cooling.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 22nd May 2010 at 02:20.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 02:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
ram
Ram - apol for a 2 year late reply but the Santro AC is defnitely not on par, forget being best in the industry. I have seen our car, showroom cars and friends cars and the AC is pretty mediocre and works only in medium heat.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 13:00   #14
BHPian

Recently I am also suffering poor cooling in my Santro. When checked with the A S S, they are quoting 3.5K to overhaul the AC. As the temp is went down due to Cyclone Laila and the nearing monsoon, I am thinking of waiting for some more time.

I prefer to visit a good AC mechanic than the default A S S to get a second openion

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 14:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

If you watch over the A.S.S. guys or an outside AC mechanic, they would perform the same diagnostics on the AC system. In my case the outside mechanic checked everything and declared the compressor has become weak and may need to be replaced. His advice is, since a new compressor does not carry any sort of warranties, tide over the remaining of the summer. The existing cooling power of the AC is quite sufficient for monsoons and the winters. So replacing the compressor can be postponed. He also suggested I get the condenser grill thoroughly flushed by hosing pressurized water onto it from some distance. Since I had already got the car pressure-washed thoroughly on two occasions without any significant improvements to the AC, I discounted it. But after reading a post on my own Santro Issues thread, I am thinking of removing the condenser unit out of the car and then getting it thoroughl checked/cleaned, just like in case of a radiator.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote