Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th May 2008, 14:33   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Thats not very inspiring, specially when temperature in Delhi is already touching 42 and worst is yet to come.
Yeah. But I guess that you cannot expect more from a car with such a small engine.

BTW, Our car doesn't have a sun film. How much effect will that have on the cooling?
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 14:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
BTW, Our car doesn't have a sun film. How much effect will that have on the cooling?
Sunfilm will have major impact for better cooling
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 15:39   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Our M-800 carb version, 2000 make also has an AC retrofitted in it for the last two years. Its working fine. The AC was retrofitted from an authorised dealer, and is an OEM unit.

There is loss in pickup. Its not possible to climb flyovers below 45 kmph in 4th gear. In general, the throttle input has to be more.

Cooling is excellent in morning and evenings, but gets affected in the afternoon sun. In the afternoon summer sun, the cabin temperature drops 3-4 degrees below outside temperature in about 15 minutes, with blower at mid position. never tried with blower at full blast because it makes too much noise and the stereo cannot be heard properly.

No overheating problems. The temperature needle stays perfectly at the center of the guage.

Mileage is 17 kpl in city driving with AC on for 55-60 % of the time. On highway its around 20 kpl.

Hope this helps
have you had the ac serviced recently? get it done. back in the mid 90s my dad had a 1994 m800 (which came with factory fitted ac). i used to drive it quite often. my father's company was doing all the maintenance. initially the AC would be cool enough even in the peak of summer. but after about 2 yrs it became so bad that we would sweat ALOT during summer with the ac on. now i know for a fact that the company fitted AC back then was good enough so it was quite clear that the AC was not being maintained well enough.

and yea the power drop was slight but not a major problem in city traffic anyway at least while driving sanely. not sure about FE.... i never bother checking

BTW this was in mumbai.

2 more things that make a difference in cooling:
1) sun film and screens
2) the colour of the car - dark cars absorb much more heat and the difference can be quite noticeable.
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 22:55   #34
BHPian

Default Airconditioning Of Maruti 800

HI,As u have mentioned year of manufacture is 1997 which means it is type one (previous model to what is manufactured now), i would like to give u some information as we are the bigest A/C workshop of our state. In your model A/C which was factory fitted was not very effective ,due to which MARUTI had to make certain modifications(this was the begining of the type 2 model post 1997) which was basicaly aimed at making the A/C more effective ,these modifications were mainly the change of the bumpers which had larger ventilation cuts , the roof lining was changed to a moulded one to keep the cabin cooled,the blower motor RPM was allso increased to facilitate faster cooling ,the size of the louvres(blower grill on the dash) were allso increased, however the cooling got further increased from jan 2004 as it became mandatory for all manufacturers to discontinue freon R12 GAS, and switch to HFC R134a gas. With this new gas came in the era of multiflow A/C condensors which are substancialy more efficient than the older serpentine ones, and so the present 800"s comes with very effective A/C . As for your car the A/C can be installed very easily with a SUBROS make unit you will allso have to upgrade your radiator fan to a 120 watt from 80 watt, but the cooling will not be at par with the present model, however it will be accptable. Please donot go for any other brand like SANDEN because it has a bigger 110cc compressor,and they use R12 gas which has been banned recently. for any other info on this issue iam allways at your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhb2000 View Post
Thank you all for the inputs. I am curious to know if I need to upgrade radiator as well in any way ?

Is it good to go with the AC from local market? How much of difference in price can it be if done from outside Maruti authorised ? What brand if at all I go with a local shop ?
alankarmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 11:51   #35
BANNED

I got ac installed in my car four days back . i think all components are sanden vikas. sanden 507 compressor. the cooling is good and increases with increase in speed . car is cooled in around 15 minutes of highway driving with blower at full blast after that i set blower speed at mid level. no overheating of car , a little drop in pick up and FE. no change of radiator fan but radiator was cleaned.
harry2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 20:08   #36
BANNED

Harry Bang on target.

I second that opinion of yours.

My 1997 M-800 has the sanden kit installed by me 6 yrs ago, and they work great.

Initially with stock exhausts the pick up was so damn low, but after the free flow exhaust the a/c works fine.

The only thing that you need to be careful is, you need to have the car maintained by a good a/c mechanic.

My a/c was screwed up recently when i went for a refrigerant top up.

Need to sort it out sooner or later.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 22:17   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
how did a refrigerant top up screw up your a/c???
Old 16th May 2008, 08:28   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Need to sort it out sooner or later.
yeah i also wanted to ask the same question. can u also plz suggesting how to make ac more effective in hot summers i.e how to use ac , should i apply darker sun film
Old 16th May 2008, 15:58   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2223 View Post
yeah i also wanted to ask the same question. can u also plz suggesting how to make ac more effective in hot summers i.e how to use ac , should i apply darker sun film
yes darker sun film will definitely help. what colour is your car? lighter coloured cars will aborb less heat.
Old 16th May 2008, 19:30   #40
BANNED

my car is dark green in colour dont know actual shade
Old 16th May 2008, 22:45   #41
BANNED

Guys,

I went to one place near Mount carmels.

He did some work sprayed lot of water on the radiator grille and told me that my a/c was the best in an 800, but that was not true, he had not topped up the refrigerant upto the required level.

Even tough i get a decent cooling,but with the sun shining hot above the a/c goes into split personality disorder and starts behaving like a normal induction motor.

Heard the V cool guy near garuda mall is the best.

Will get it rectified soon.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 15:15   #42

Thanks for all the help guys.

I wanted give my car a make over, but i wanted to get it serviced properly first.

Unfortunately too many parts had to be replaced in my car and the cost of servicing came upto 25k.

Therefore as for now, I have decided not to go for the A/C due to financial problems. :(
nikhiltb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 20:09   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhiltb View Post
Thanks for all the help guys.

I wanted give my car a make over, but i wanted to get it serviced properly first.

Unfortunately too many parts had to be replaced in my car and the cost of servicing came upto 25k.

Therefore as for now, I have decided not to go for the A/C due to financial problems. :(
oh well, it just rained this afternoon/evening in bangalore, so you are lucky about that
Old 11th August 2008, 02:47   #44
BHPian

When adding an AC to a M800, garages generally give two options - Subros and Sanden 507.

The Subros unit is the OEM part, the same that is fitted to 800 DX models. It fits directly, no drilling, clamps etc. It comes as a kit, from the dealer, with full warranty, and can be installed/serviced at any Maruti service center. The only change you'll notice is the A/C switch above the blower/fan controls. It lights up blue when turned on. There is some power loss when its turned on, but the switch's location makes it easy to turn off when you need that extra bit of power, like when overtaking. You don't even need to take your hand off the wheel. The downside is that unless your 800 is fitted with a heater, the temperature cannot be adjusted. I've got this unit fitted on my car, and have driven for hours with no trouble at all. The install was done in about three hours, I believe. The only thing that took time was filling the gas and checking for leaks.

The Sanden 507 unit, on the other hand, is primarily intended for fitment on Ambassadors and Fiats. My uncle's 800 is fitted with this unit. It has a larger compressor, much better and faster cooling, because the volume is so much smaller for M800. However, it comes with its own seperate, small control pod, which is usually installed above the ashtray in the dash, next to the cutout for the stereo. The control unit has a dial for temperature adjustment too. (At least, there is a dial and some LEDs. I'm pretty sure that it's for temperature)

However, I did feel that the engine lost a lot more power with the AC on, possibly because of the larger compressor. It also heated up faster, and generally ran at a higher temperature than the Subros unit. The ASC wouldn't service it, and I had to find an independent installer for some troubleshooting. Every mechanic I asked agreed that the Sanden 507 unit reduced engine life, because of the higher load. But, my uncle rarely uses his car (<5000 km in two years) and intends to keep it for the forseeable future.

The Sanden unit is cheaper by 2K-3K, the last time I asked.

Note: Most AC retrofits don't include the cost of filling the gas. Make sure you factor that into your budget. Also, invest in some good sunfilm. If your car didn't come with AC, it didn't come with tinted glass either.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 01:42   #45
BHPian

Question 800 AC parts query !

Well what are the parts involved in retro fitting a AC in a 800?

The reason iam asking this is i planning to install one in my 800, i have a motor(not sure what its technical name is ) which was used in a amby.
munishsurendra is offline   Reply With Quote